Sponsored by:

PPI/leakdown results after 130k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Waldteufel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg964
This is the type of person I want to buy a car from. An original owner that addresses problems before they become critical.

No other "while your in there" stuff such as new clutch(assuming its a manual car), plug wires, SAI removal ?
I'm changing the valve cover gaskets, gas springs, cats, and a few other things while the engine is out/apart, but the clutch was replaced at 94k, and the mechanic advises that the plug wires are good and would be very expensive to replace. He claims that the Porsche wires are very good and long lasting, and are probably still better than most aftermarket wires.

I'd love to permanently prevent another SAI-induced CEL, but will first give the conventional remedy a try. It definitely needed the valve guides anyway, so cleaning the ports is really not that big a deal.....that is, until next time.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Waldteufel
Although I readily concede I don't know anywhere near as much about these cars as you obviously do, I have read from more than one source that OBDII cars do retard timing for things such as O2 sensor/knock sensor failures; or even knock detection in 3 degree increments up to a max of 9 degrees. Whether any of those levels are officially labeled as "limp-home" I can't say. However, until I read or hear from a Porsche engineer that a 993 SAI CEL definitely does not retard timing, I'll continue to trust my seat-of-the-pants observations over your slightly modified opinion.
I've got data. Not AIM data like the Radical, yellow car or Spec Miata, but data nonetheless from the C4S when it was a backup trackrat during the summers of '08 and '09. Threw a clogged cat code every two or three days. Regularly ran it on track with and without the code. Zero difference in lap times.

Originally Posted by vincer77
I think that it is perfectly reasonable to do a leakdown/compression check on the motor to assess its health.
As I said initially, the cost of doing it is insignificant in the scheme of things. However, I'll trust my mechanical observation and ability to assess what's really going on when I have an engine apart. I'm guessing I've had my hand in a fraction (~200) of the number of 911 engines that the rebuilder here has. But once you've got one apart, things become plainly obvious. Valve guide wear. Valve stem taper. Ring land wear. It's extremely difficult to discern where leaking air is coming from sometimes while doing a leakdown. Similarly, I've had more than one engine apart (not necessarily a 911) that's show good compression, but wasn't healthy for the long haul once we could inspect.

Quick Reply: PPI/leakdown results after 130k miles