Sponsored by:

Are JICs bolt-on for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are JICs bolt-on for our cars?

So I ordered a set, mainly due to the marked down price. Thanks to the forum for posting the discounted price! They say its a bolt-on item but my apprehension arose due to my brothers experience on his previous 996 GT2 where he had to customize drop-links and perches.

I just want to know if I need to order other parts needed for the installation.

I dont intend to lower my car to RS height, so will my drop links be ok for my stock sway bars? I will lower it by roughly 1.0-1.5 inches. I initially intend to have a space of about two fingers between the tire and the fender.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by camlob
So I ordered a set, mainly due to the marked down price. Thanks to the forum for posting the discounted price! They say its a bolt-on item but my apprehension arose due to my brothers experience on his previous 996 GT2 where he had to customize drop-links and perches.

I just want to know if I need to order other parts needed for the installation.

I dont intend to lower my car to RS height, so will my drop links be ok for my stock sway bars? I will lower it by roughly 1.0-1.5 inches. I initially intend to have a space of about two fingers between the tire and the fender.
they should 100% bolt on. The drop links you need will depend on ride height and the specific roll bars used. If you are using stock or even M030 at stock ride height then stock drop links will do. When the car is lowered the rear becomes the main issue as at some point the bar has to be run beneath the transverse suspension arm. That's when you need the curved RS drop links.

This is how a lowered car will need to be run
Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Did a search, but missing the thread you are talking about for a discounted price?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:29 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
they should 100% bolt on. The drop links you need will depend on ride height and the specific roll bars used. If you are using stock or even M030 at stock ride height then stock drop links will do. When the car is lowered the rear becomes the main issue as at some point the bar has to be run beneath the transverse suspension arm. That's when you need the curved RS drop links.

This is how a lowered car will need to be run
Bill - do you think if i lower the car by 1.0 inch i will need the curved rs drop links? i dont intend to lower it to rs height.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:33 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by JPS
Did a search, but missing the thread you are talking about for a discounted price?
i didnt save the rl thread but here is the ebay thread they were referring to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JIC-M...ht_1574wt_1161

Contact Jon at JIC Magic. I got mine for USD1.9k which I think is really cheap considering the feedback I have seen on the board. Some guys call it "value motons". Nice details like the separate spring perches, adj camber plates etc.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill - do you think if i lower the car by 1.0 inch i will need the curved rs drop links? i dont intend to lower it to rs height.
Stock US height is ~174+/-10/157+/-10

RoW M030 is ~144+/-10/127+/-10 or roughly 30mm lower than US

RoW M030 run above the arms
Old 01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

here's mine when I bought it, RoW M030 struts/springs, either a tt or M030 rear sway bar w/ stock rear drop link. If the JIC drop link mount can be raised high enough then you may be able to run it like this, I just don't know if you can get it high enough. Bilstein sells a shorter link for their PSS shocks

Old 01-25-2011, 04:31 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Yep, I'm the bastard responsible for mentioning these cheap JICs on eBay

For an even sweeter deal, sign up with eBates and get a % refund, which will save you a few more $$ for some beer to help the install go smooth. I even think that if you get one of us eBates users to refer you to them we vboth might get some fee, but that's really minor.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:34 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Stock US height is ~174+/-10/157+/-10

RoW M030 is ~144+/-10/127+/-10 or roughly 30mm lower than US

RoW M030 run above the arms
Bill. I've been meaning to ask before my own install. These heights are from hub center to fender lip or where are they measured?

I definitely want to run M030 bars above the arms with M030 springs and HDs and use drop links supplied with HDs (at least those the links I think I have).
Old 01-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
Bill. I've been meaning to ask before my own install. These heights are from hub center to fender lip or where are they measured?

I definitely want to run M030 bars above the arms with M030 springs and HDs and use drop links supplied with HDs (at least those the links I think I have).
These are the measuring points
Old 01-25-2011, 06:38 PM
camlob
Pro

here's mine when I bought it, RoW M030 struts/springs, either a tt or M030 rear sway bar w/ stock rear drop link. If the JIC drop link mount can be raised high enough then you may be able to run it like this, I just don't know if you can get it high enough. Bilstein sells a shorter link for their PSS shocks

Bill thanks for the valued assistance. Is the sway bar inverted when it is above the toe link? It looks like it from the photo .

Nile13 - yeah i would also enjoy buying you beer and dinner when i visit the states in the future! Bill you are invited to the dinner!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:05 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Tarett drop links are another option. If you call, Ira can make you a custom curved set
Old 01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill thanks for the valued assistance. Is the sway bar inverted when it is above the toe link? It looks like it from the photo .

Nile13 - yeah i would also enjoy buying you beer and dinner when i visit the states in the future! Bill you are invited to the dinner!
No, the bar only fits one way due to the center bends to clear the engine block
Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought this set too, Jon told me I was the only one to get that price
I am going to be shooting for somewhere right between ROW and RS height when I install mine. I still need to order the Walrod bushings, but hope to have mine done in the next month or so.
Bill, I was trying to search for where you posted your ride height but gave up. Could you please list them again. Your car looks great, but I don't think I would make it onto my driveway that low.
Camlob, did you go with the 7k / 11k springs?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
I bought this set too, Jon told me I was the only one to get that price
I am going to be shooting for somewhere right between ROW and RS height when I install mine. I still need to order the Walrod bushings, but hope to have mine done in the next month or so.
Bill, I was trying to search for where you posted your ride height but gave up. Could you please list them again. Your car looks great, but I don't think I would make it onto my driveway that low.
Camlob, did you go with the 7k / 11k springs?
Ha.ha...I didnt bother to ask Jon whether that price was exclusive. Good thing you picked it up. Good value for the money. I got 8k/10k springs. They didnt have 7k. Hmmmm.....

Quick Reply: Are JICs bolt-on for our cars?