993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Looking for a new DD, maybe a econobox

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 PM
AGC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Looking for a new DD, maybe a econobox

With gas prices going up, I am thinking of selling my Honda Ridgeline and getting a econobox. Any suggestion, I was thinking a Honda Civic until someone mention getting a Mini. My main reason for wanting a Civic was the gas mileage.

Any idea what MPG is on a Cooper or Cooper S (or even Clubman/s)

Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 11:13 PM
L741_993
Rennlist Member

If you are looking for great MPG and drive a lot of highway miles, look at VW Jetta TDI. Several of my Mates have them, they get 45-50 MPG.

If you are looking for something a little more high end, look at the MB E320 BlueTEC. They claim EPA fuel economy estimates 23 MPG city and 32 MPG on the highway. Not bad for a turbocharged 3.0-liter 24-valve common-rail injected diesel V-6 that has 210hp and 400 lb-ft of torque.

Good luck with your search.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:42 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Something I have been wondering, maybe the technical types / fuel industry rennlisters can speakup.

With the addition of alcohol / other additives dropping the gas mileage of a gallon of gas, what type of gas do the car companies use to get the EPA mileage they use for their figures? Is it pure gas?

With this in mind, shouldn't we keep this in mind when comparing gas and diesel cars? The diesel will be closer to their quoted mileage than gas, due to almost every station now forcing gasohol of 10% or higher on us? Maybe the suggestion of a diesel car for a DD is a good idea!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With diesel you have to watch how many miles you do vs the price adder for the engine. The payback may not be there if you don't put on the miles especially considering the price of diesel (if you care about payback) If you're putting on high miles it should make sense. The last time I bought a diesel VW it was $2k more than the gas engine. I looked at the Minis and they were crap value IMHO. The price was shocking for what is a plush subcompact (BMW is also out of favor with me right now ) I bought an Audi A3 Quattro 2.0T for less money than a Clubman S auto. There is a big difference in pricing on a Civic vs Mini. If you are talking used I would do alot of research on higher mileage Minis.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by AGC
With gas prices going up, I am thinking of selling my Honda Ridgeline and getting a econobox. Any suggestion, I was thinking a Honda Civic until someone mention getting a Mini. My main reason for wanting a Civic was the gas mileage.

Thanks
You may miss it....

One of my co-workers has a Ridgeline with just over a 160k miles. He's the original owner and has had zero issues other than some interior lights that have plagued him from day one. Prior to that he used to daily drive a Civic until it was totalled....

And his rear tires are the original, talk about value....

Last edited by TRINITONY; 01-18-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

You can pick up a low mileage BMW 328I in the mid 20s. They get 25 MPG and very nice cars. My daughter has an '07. Just make sure you get the sports package..
Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

my 968 has been a very reasonably priced dd for well over 50 k miles.

i have about $ 43K in the car, but most of that is in performance and cosmetic mods.

it's a great car, and i don't see why 300 k miles presents any sort of problem whatsoever for this engine.

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2011, 01:02 AM
avidtest
Racer

Just bought the wife an '11 VW GTI 4-door. Fun car and some pretty neat comfort features ('specially when compared to our 993's). Saw a new TDI 4-door yesterday morning and thought it looked nearly as nice as the GTI. That's what I'd look at as an 'econobox'.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

We had an 04 Mini Cooper S and it would get 38-40 mpg on the highway and around 32 mixed driving. It was an awesome little car and served us well for five years- zero problems except for those damn run-flats. Ah, the little roller-skate is missed.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:56 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by L741_993
If you are looking for great MPG and drive a lot of highway miles, look at VW Jetta TDI. Several of my Mates have them, they get 45-50 MPG.
The Golf or Jetta Wagen (wagon) TDI is on my shortlist.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AGC

Thanks
I just sold a JCW Mini and it got high tewnties low thirties. Great fun to drive! There are some problem Mini Coopers out there. They had timing chain issues.

There couldn't a more boring mundane car to drive than a Civic, except for maybe a pointless Prius.

I know where there is a nice TDI cup for sale which gets 40s.

I think I'd might wait for a Mazda 6 with a Sky engine, which is also a turbo diesel.

BMW are very soft and you can pick one up cheap. I just don't like them very much. Especailly the late models, which are nothing special to look at.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:03 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I second the suggestion of looking at the diesel e320 Benz, great mileage in city and on highway and gobs of low end torque.

I have waffled on getting a Ridgeline as a DD for a couple years now. Seems to be the perfect "truck" for someone like me (white collar profession, married, 2 kids, dog and a house that requires at least 2 Home Depot runs a month.)

What has your ownership experience been like? Is the gas mileage really that bad? I'm kind-of jaded only getting 13 mpg in my Land Rover DD.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As I mentioned in the thread a couple of days ago on driving the C4S all over and back the past 6 weeks, even if I put 15K on it in '11 I'll end up spending about $100/mo. more on fuel than if I had a generic economy car. Almost 10% sales tax on a $20K car + extra insurance + extra license + figure I'd still put the usual 5K on the C4S anyway make the payoff about 5 years down the road. (Avoiding depreciation, figuring that's about equal to repairs, at my cost, on any 993.)
Old 01-18-2011, 02:34 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Take a look at the VW CC ...

Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
my 968 has been a very reasonably priced dd for well over 50 k miles.

i have about $ 43K in the car, but most of that is in performance and cosmetic mods.

it's a great car, and i don't see why 300 k miles presents any sort of problem whatsoever for this engine.
About to crack 220 in mine with no engine work. I drive it 100 miles daily. It's starting to show it's age with sme paint and trim defects and electrical, but has been a very good car d'or over 100k miles.

I have thought about replacing it lately. I think I would like a VW R32. I also think the new CC is gorgeous.

Quick Reply: OT: Looking for a new DD, maybe a econobox