Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by _boman
The article you posted is irrelevant; it talks about 1992 SCs. The IS
came out years later (1998 Altezza) and is a DIFFERENT car. Same
with the GS. And a TSB is just a "bulletin" suggested repair NOT a
recall. Meaning if you experience a hinge problem you can bring it in
and get it repaired on Toyota's dollar. Seems to me you have a chip
on your shoulder about the brand. Weird.

All I can tell you is I worked for a dealer repair shop that did 100s of Lexus door repairs under factory warranty 10 years ago because the door hinge failed, which I have no proof of. But I can also tell it was because the door was too bloody heavy for the bearing, and it was a stupid design to start with.

I have already made it clear I do not like Toyota, but for some very valid reasons that seem to be trumpted by a bunch of nonsense.

But hey if you want a Toyota, knock yourself out.

However, not everyone has fallen under the Toyota spell.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
thats fine...you're free to your opinion.

But I'd expect that one could still respect what lexus has done in 21 short years.
I do. Don't get me wrong. I respect Toyota for there accomplishments, and they bulid great appliances... I mean decent cars.

I am actually really kind of disappointed that Toyota hasn't been more successful in motorsports (they seemed to have all the potential), but then niether has Honda to any great extent.

Quite honestly, the most overlooked make, Mazda has better cars than either of the aforementioned, and they have a Le Mans win to their credit.

I am just not captivated by them (Toyota), and I think everything that people rave on and on and on about relaiblity is way over-blown. It does bother me to some extent that people are blinded by the hype and fail to see them for what the really are: good reliable transportation. Nothing more nothing less.

On top of that they peaked 3 years ago. Since, Ford knocked off the Camery, their reliablity is sagging, in sub compact hot hatches Mazdaspeed 3 blows the Matrix away, and the Prius don't even get me going on that. Toyota has some pretty stiff competition and if they are not careful they will get knocked of their high horse they ride.

I have owned Toyotas, and they have been pretty reliable. However, they have not had a spotless record and they tend to be pricey to fix, much more than a Honda. My Celica GT had some really stupid failures that should have never happen on any car much less a Toyota. How does the end of a crankshaft fall off?

However, in the end they are dreadfully boring to drive and is not at all inspirational. Toyotas have no character, no personality, no soul or spirit.

Mazda actually has a car that turns a corner, handles and is sporty to drive.

Moreover, you really gotta wonder where their head is with the LFA. What's was the point of that? I am sure it's fantastic, but why? Ten years in development, billions spent. Even at the $460,000.00they said they were loosing some rediculous amounts of money per copy. Who is going to buy one?

It's a Toyota.

For less than half there is a long list of cars that are much more impressive that DO have a spirit and a soul.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
I do. Don't get me wrong. I respect Toyota for there accomplishments, and they bulid great appliances... I mean decent cars.

I am actually really kind of disappointed that Toyota hasn't been more successful in motorsports (they seemed to have all the potential), but then niether has Honda to any great extent.

Quite honestly, the most overlooked make, Mazda has better cars than either of the aforementioned, and they have a Le Mans win to their credit.

I am just not captivated by them (Toyota), and I think everything that people rave on and on and on about relaiblity is way over-blown. It does bother me to some extent that people are blinded by the hype and fail to see them for what the really are: good reliable transportation. Nothing more nothing less.

On top of that they peaked 3 years ago. Since, Ford knocked off the Camery, their reliablity is sagging, in sub compact hot hatches Mazdaspeed 3 blows the Matrix away, and the Prius don't even get me going on that. Toyota has some pretty stiff competition and if they are not careful they will get knocked of their high horse they ride.

I have owned Toyotas, and they have been pretty reliable. However, they have not had a spotless record and they tend to be pricey to fix, much more than a Honda. My Celica GT had some really stupid failures that should have never happen on any car much less a Toyota. How does the end of a crankshaft fall off?

However, in the end they are dreadfully boring to drive and is not at all inspirational. Toyotas have no character, no personality, no soul or spirit.

Mazda actually has a car that turns a corner, handles and is sporty to drive.

Moreover, you really gotta wonder where their head is with the LFA. What's was the point of that? I am sure it's fantastic, but why? Ten years in development, billions spent. Even at the $460,000.00they said they were loosing some rediculous amounts of money per copy. Who is going to buy one?

It's a Toyota.

For less than half there is a long list of cars that are much more impressive that DO have a spirit and a soul.
Ok, all of that is fine, but what does it have to do with the LS460 that this guy is interested in?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Ok, all of that is fine, but what does it have to do with the LS460 that this guy is interested in?
I already said.

Don't get for the all the wrong reason and regret it later.

I don't have to live with the choice, but he does. So choose wisely.

If he can live with a soul-less spirit-less appliance. Fine. I don't have a problem with that. I don't have to drive it every day.

I think it's an LS430 anyways, it's always good to have an alternate prospective than the one-sided, it's the best most reliable luxury car you can buy, argument.

He asked for opinons and I gave him mine. I am sorry I offended some Lexus lovers that defended the Lexus name tooth and nail, but you are wasting your time. I formed strong opinons about Toyota a long time ago, they have done nothing to change them, and it doesn't look like they are going to any time soon.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:04 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

FYI, I drove my LS400 home from work today and the doors did not fall of nor did I fall asleep at the wheel and crash and burn over the side of a cliff.

Although a warning light did come on the dash indicating that I was experiencing a SAI issue on my 993 that is currently in storage.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:17 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh, oh. We seem to have lost the OP. No matter what you do, never trade in a classic at a dealer. You will get ripped off on value, even with the low miles.

Originally Posted by skywachr
Be sure to spend some driving time in one before you buy. For me it would be like driving a sedative after the MBZ. I think that's why so many on here drive BMWs which, by the way, I do not own so there is no bias there. For smoothness and dependability you can't beat the Lexus though.
+1. Do you take pleasure in driving? If so, get a BMW, not a Lexus.

Originally Posted by fullbooker
I tell my friends that it's like you're on the living room couch, it's so comfortable. Nothing bad to say about the LS430!
Phil
Some would say that with the "couch" comment, you kinda just did
Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looong road trips they can't be beat.
Anything else: "Relentless Pursuit of Boredom"
Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Now I have to defend the 92 SCs.

I have a 92 SC300, 5 speed. It became my daughter's DD since she was 17 years old. It has some 180,000 miles on it now. Only needed brakes, clutch (once at 102k miles), oil changes, tires and nothing else.

It is the MOST reliable car we have ever owned, bar none. And 19 years later, we still love the way the SC looks.

We now have a 2005 RX 330. Also as reliable as they come.

CP
Old 01-21-2011, 11:51 PM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to everyone for the suggestion. Have been travel this whole week and just got back home for a long trip.

I currently have 2 porsches and what I am looking for is somthing that is soft and confortable. Not looking for any driving excitment since I plan to use the car to carry 2 children and would not want any harsh ride for the daily use. Since the early LS430 would be close to 10 yrs old, I would need the realiability to be my main concern since I do not want my wife when driving the car with my 2 young children get stuck in the middle of the highway, which will be very dangerous for them.

After reading though all the post, I am now more convince that LS430 will suit my need. Want to thank everyone for sharing their experinece and guidance.

Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!

Quick Reply: OT Lexus Ls430