Sponsored by:

OT: This month's 911 & Porsche world Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT: This month's 911 & Porsche world Magazine

For those interested, be sure to pick up this month's 911 & Porsche World magazine. A friend of mine has an article starting on page 58 in it. He has a Porsche rental/tour planning business you can see at:

http://www.passo-tourismo.com/en/home

I have known Lars for several years and have spent a lot of time touring the mountains in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Italy with him. He is really a great guy and has perfect English. Some of you have heard of the Porsche Treffens over in Europe, so if interested in that sort of thing, consider Passo Turismo for any future visits. I think his prices are more than competitive with similar provisions and he’ll make sure you get a “personal touch” like you won’t get elsewhere, especially if you let him know you are a friend of mine (I have no financial stake in these trips, I’m just a friend of Lars).

Here was a note on his site about the article I am mentioning:

http://www.passo-tourismo.com/en/new...e/d,newsdetail

Here's me enjoying one of the cars in the article:

And here's the magazine in question:

Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch. Part of the post was included as part of the weekly newsletter for my regions PCA.

-Bart
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 PM
user 70801213
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks....looking to do a southern germany and austria/italy road trip next time to europe.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:24 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Although I've heard of many owners taking possession of their new vehicles on a European Delivery Plan, I've never come across anyone offering car tours in Europe and the Alps. So far, I've only come across motorcycle tour companies.

Having toured the Alps by motorcycle the past sixteen straight years, anyone who hasn't been would be in for the ride/drive of their life.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 PM
bart1
Race Car

Amen, Alex. I have done it the past few years in Porsche. "If you have the means, I highly recommend it"

Maybe his business fills a gap, then. You can go on the Porsche sponsored tours over there, which we have seen on our tour, but it's not the same.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bart1
Amen, Alex. I have done it the past few years in Porsche. "If you have the means, I highly recommend it"
The one thing that always floated around in my head while driving the narrow twisty roads was the desire for some of my friends to experience and see... what I was experiencing and seeing all these years.

Last summer, my long time friend and his wife joined me on a motorcycle tour where I played tour guide to them for two weeks (I'm there for five-plus weeks...a mere two weeks would be like one scoop of ice cream instead of the tub. ). Although they've been to Europe and the Alps before, they were blown away by the roads I took them on. So much so, my friend is joining me again this summer for another two-week motorcycle tour.

Maybe his business fills a gap, then. You can go on the Porsche sponsored tours over there, which we have seen on our tour, but it's not the same.
Well I can't relate as I've never been on a guided tour; they're just not for me, being the free spirit that I am. I tour self guided. But I would think a more down-to-earth, less commercialized tour would be more fun for those not comfortable with international travel.

Lars ought to put up more "scenic" pics on his site showing what participants are in for (too many car pics). I recognized the Falzarego Pass pic on his site which was taken from the road to Arabba. I took my friend on it last June on our way to our hotel in Arabba.

Now you got me all....I can't wait to get back to great roads, spectacular scenery, food and beer.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 AM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by IXLR8
The one thing that always floated around in my head while driving the narrow twisty roads was the desire for some of my friends to experience and see... what I was experiencing and seeing all these years.

Last summer, my long time friend and his wife joined me on a motorcycle tour where I played tour guide to them for two weeks (I'm there for five-plus weeks...a mere two weeks would be like one scoop of ice cream instead of the tub. ). Although they've been to Europe and the Alps before, they were blown away by the roads I took them on. So much so, my friend is joining me again this summer for another two-week motorcycle tour.

Well I can't relate as I've never been on a guided tour; they're just not for me, being the free spirit that I am. I tour self guided. But I would think a more down-to-earth, less commercialized tour would be more fun for those not comfortable with international travel.

Lars ought to put up more "scenic" pics on his site showing what participants are in for (too many car pics). I recognized the Falzarego Pass pic on his site which was taken from the road to Arabba. I took my friend on it last June on our way to our hotel in Arabba.

Now you got me all....I can't wait to get back to great roads, spectacular scenery, food and beer.
Well, the tours I go on are not what Lars' business is about. Depending one group size and other factors, we end up on dead end or non-paved roads, no reservations, etc. My favorite trips are when we head out with a destination in mind but no plans.

I'll be heading back about June/July. This time I am also lining up a factory tour while I am in Stuttgart.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I'll be heading back about June/July. This time I am also lining up a factory tour while I am in Stuttgart.
I plan to take in the new Porsche museum which I didn't get time to see last July. And I'm always driving right by it on the A8.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I plan to take in the new Porsche museum which I didn't get time to see last July. And I'm always driving right by it on the A8.
Plan for it as a lunch stop (along the A8)! Easy access and the Museum has two places to eat, and plenty of parking underground.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I plan on doing something like this in 2012, unless I ship my car over instead...
I hope to visit the 2012 Classic Le Mans (2010 was amazing...pics).

Regardless, big thumbs up to your friend for creating such a unique company. I have a (non-P car owning) friend who loves this idea and might join me (we're both Austrian)?

Can you imagine...like many, he's always wanted to own a 911, so this would be his first experience!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM
bart1
Race Car

I posted earlier from my phone, but it looks like it didn't work.

I said in it that you shouldn't plan to go the museum on Monday I tried that last year and that did not work out well. However, I did get to visit with Karl Hloch. He's an engine builder who has cars in a lot of big events, including several in the Classic LeMans linked above. Great guy and extremely cool cars in his shop. He also gave me a very nice gift - an umbrella that was given to the entrants of the Mille Miglia.

Oh, and I also mentioned that my friend the lives in Stuttgart has also never been to the museum. He used to work at Porsche and owns his own VW/Porsche shop now.

-Bart
Old 01-18-2011, 06:51 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Plan for it as a lunch stop (along the A8)! Easy access and the Museum has two places to eat, and plenty of parking underground.
I'll take a hotel for two nights near the museum, park the motorcycle and spend the whole day there. When I went to the BMW museum in 1998 for BMW's 75th anniversary, as small as it was compared to the new museum, I spent a whole day there. I always read the signs at each display.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:15 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having toured the Alps by motorcycle the past sixteen straight years, anyone who hasn't been would be in for the ride/drive of their life.
Would love to do this on a m/c. Is it better to ship my own bike over or just rent?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Would love to do this on a m/c. Is it better to ship my own bike over or just rent?
It depends on the length of stay.

In most cases, you are far better off renting. If interested, my friend who is joining me this year again, is renting from a dealer about 30 minutes outside of München.

The best part about touring by motorcycle is the far better view you have plus the fact that you don't get slowed down by cars on the tight mountain passes.

Quick Reply: OT: This month's 911 & Porsche world Magazine