993 Forum 1995-1998

Need a Gut Check on '96 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Bullit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Gut Check on '96 C4S

In my search for a 993 4S, yesterday I can across a '96 in CA with about 64,000 miles on the clock. In visiting with the owner, I learned that this car recently had about $11,500 in repairs performed by Callas Rennsport for a new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, front brakes (rotors and pads), both valve cover gaskets, alternator drive belt, AWD viscous coupling, engine power steering hose, right bank spark plug wires, etc.... I almost broke out in a cold sweat, thinking about what I would do if I was suddenly hit out of the blue with a repair bill like this.

This car is listed for $45,000, has already had 4 previous owners and has an existing offer from which the owner seems willing to walk.

Just asking for a gut check from you veterans out there. I'm getting some negative vibes on this and would appreciate your input. Also, wondering if I should be worried or relieved that $11,500 in repairs was just completed? Would I expect another bill like this in a few years? Is this pretty normal?

Thanks for all your help in educating this newbie!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:37 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullit
I almost broke out in a cold sweat, thinking about what I would do if I was suddenly hit out of the blue with a repair bill like this.
If you can do the work yourself, it would be a small fraction of the bill.

Have you checked autotrader.com? There are a few C2 and C4 non-S examples with very low mileage for the same money.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:42 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just look at the car as a car that has passed through owners that cared for the car and in turn passed it on to the next without taking care of normal maintenance items because the car wasn't ever driven much. You can only tell if there are maintenance records that accompany this car to support its regular care. All of this work that you have described is pretty routine and if you search other threads, unless you can do some of these repairs yourself, these cars can be kind of expensive to maintain, but not nearly as much as my buddies with their F-cars.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Bullit
Rennlist Member

Thanks Alex. Appreciate your input. I would not be able to do this work myself due to lack of time and ability.

I have noticed a couple of nice examples on AutoTrader and am trying to get in touch with the owners.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Bullit
Rennlist Member

Thanks Harlan. I guess that's just a fact of life with these cars and another good reason to get a PPI before pulling the trigger. Certainly agree that at least O&M on these cars doesn't quite hit the stratosphere like the F-cars!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:51 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I have noticed a couple of nice examples on AutoTrader and am trying to get in touch with the owners.
Although a low mileage car isn't a 100% guarantee that it is a better car, the way I look at it is miles on the odometer aren't miles ahead of you, they are miles behind you...sort of like runway behind you when you are starting a takeoff roll...useless.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Bullit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Although a low mileage car isn't a 100% guarantee that it is a better car, the way I look at it is miles on the odometer aren't miles ahead of you, they are miles behind you...sort of like runway behind you when you are starting a takeoff roll...useless.
A great way to think about it Alex! May be worth paying a bit more up front for a lower mileage example. Four previous owners on this one almost makes for a little head-scratching too...
Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Sounds like the $11K the current owner spent on the car was to make it perfect in every way. I would actually count that as a huge plus. Tony Callas does great work and my advise is to call him directly and ask whether he knows of any other issues with the car or whether the $11K repairs covered everything. If the car is good to go you, in theory, should have many trouble-free miles ahead with that C4S. Best of luck!
Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

4 owners is nothing. The condition of the car and the maint/repair receipts is everything.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

And one more thing, if you're scared of the repair bills, you aren't ready to own one of these cars. They are very costly to repair unless you can do it on your own. The C4S had a MSRP of $73K when new. Treat is as a high end automobile, nothing on that car is cheap. If the engine grenades (not saying that it would, but you never know, you're buying a 15 year old car), you're in for a 5-digit repair bill. Keep that in mind.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:07 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilko
Sounds like the $11K the current owner spent on the car was to make it perfect in every way. I would actually count that as a huge plus. Tony Callas does great work and my advise is to call him directly and ask whether he knows of any other issues with the car or whether the $11K repairs covered everything. If the car is good to go you, in theory, should have many trouble-free miles ahead with that C4S. Best of luck!
I agree, especially if the car is in great condition, original paint.
If you are not sure what great condition is on one of these cars, it would help to have someone who knows the ins and outs to have a look.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I see the recent repairs as a huge bonus, especially since the work was done by a reputable shop.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:11 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Photo plz?
Old 01-14-2011, 12:11 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

In my search for a 993 4S, yesterday I can across a '96 in CA with about 64,000 miles on the clock. In visiting with the owner, I learned that this car recently had about $11,500 in repairs performed
!
This could be a GREAT buy.
Talk to Tony to see why the repairs were done.
The only thing i see that seems out of the norm = Viscous Coupling repair.
That is pretty rare.

Craig
Old 01-14-2011, 12:18 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Certainly agree that at least O&M on these cars doesn't quite hit the stratosphere like the F-cars!
To give you an idea using OEM parts, but doing the work myself:

Upper and lower valve cover seals ran me $66.72. Adding in the 38 valve cover screws if you don't want to reuse rusty fasteners, another $18.24.

Mobil 1 synthetic oil, 2 oil filters and 2 sealing rings run me $85.

12 spark plugs: $47.40.

Not that much more than any other car.

Quick Reply: Need a Gut Check on '96 C4S