993 Forum 1995-1998

Normal Behavior for Battery, Alternator, Voltage Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Silver993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Normal Behavior for Battery, Alternator, Voltage Regulator

I've been watching the charging system in my 97 model via a little voltmeter that fits in the cigarette lighter socket. Does the following behavior seem normal?

Before start, V=12.5
Started and while driving, V steadily climbs upwards from 12.5V to about 14.0 V (at about 30 minutes of driving).

I'm watching the charging system just to rule out any problems. I had been smelling sulfur after a drive (likely due to the brand of fuel) and on a recent cold morning, I observed a smoke-like vapor coming from the vent on the hood just in front of the windshield. The smoke stopped when I cut off the cabin heating fan. Was concerned that something unexpected was happening to the battery....
Old 01-06-2011, 07:03 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver993
I've been watching the charging system in my 97 model via a little voltmeter that fits in the cigarette lighter socket. Does the following behavior seem normal?

Before start, V=12.5
Started and while driving, V steadily climbs upwards from 12.5V to about 14.0 V (at about 30 minutes of driving).
Do you know if that little voltmeter is accurate? Is it one of those LED bar-graph types; if so take voltage readings using a digital multimeter.

Your initial voltage is low; should be about 12.65V or more depending on the battery type.

Your final voltage is a bit low if that is while you are cruising. Mine goes as low as 13.9V at idle with some items switched on and as high as 14.3V while cruising.

Quick Reply: Normal Behavior for Battery, Alternator, Voltage Regulator