993 Forum 1995-1998

Revs "breaking down" at 3200-3500 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Yeah, I hear you. I have experience the exact same thing that you are describing with my previous Alfa. It ended up being a cracked rubber boot in one of the spark plug leads.
Isn't that standard equipment on the Alfa?

My first thought was wires, but a great idea to check the caps and rotors first. The morning stumbling may be ISV. Mine is doing it also and need to clean it out.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:54 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
Isn't that standard equipment on the Alfa?

Indeed it is!! It was a great car to learn wrenching your own car though. You had to invest 2 hours troubleshooting & fixing things to drive it for 2 hours until the next thing broke.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by daveHy
Any progress Terry ? I have been following this thread as I have the same thing on my 96 ROW car. I have stuttering from 2-3k all the time which gets worse in the wet. Plugs / caps / rotors and wires all have less than 6k on them, belt is OK. I'm going for coils next. I may still have a dodgy wire or plug even though there near new. I run with the tray off which may not help in the wet. Will let you know if I make any progress.

dave hyde
Dave,

Once I got it dried out, I haven't had time to do anything other than drive the car. I'm positive that the problem is moisture-related and was probably exacerbated by the fact that the car was in very wet conditions for two days (Not just in the sense of rain, but also a nasty mist/heavy fog that can permeate every nook and cranny in the car).

Once I got the engine temp up on the first dry day, and the engine compartment completely dried out, the "stutter" disappeared. Two days later, we had another wet day and I drove the car in heavy rain, but the problem never reappeared.

You probably read that I did put a reader on the ODB II and got no codes.

I had considered going ahead and replacing caps and rotors, but will probably wait and do caps, rotors and wires at once just to keep from having to do the cap/wire connection part twice...I need to save a few pennies and hope I get to warmer weather before I have to do that...That is, of course, unless it starts giving me more trouble at which point I'll get serious about it again.

Regards,
T
Old 01-08-2011, 03:13 AM
daveHy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi terry, yours definetely sounds like moisture in the distributors, mine unfortunately is a little more permanent. better bite the bullet and take it round the dealer and see what codes its throwing up.

Quick Reply: Revs "breaking down" at 3200-3500 RPM