Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

so, I TOFTT on the maserati forum.. (warning, LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 AM
jaa1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so, I TOFTT on the maserati forum.. (warning, LONG)

I was feeling a little guilty as I almost never check the maserati.. all of my forum addiction time is spent on rennlist.. (and for good reason too, there really is nothing as fun / useful / interesting / friendly / kick *** as the 993 section on rennlist)

so I see a thread on a new maserati SUV, which is going to be based on Jeep platform.., somehow this thread induces some porsche bashing..

I then felt obligated to educate the misguided non believers:

(i have made my responses in BOLD)

Today, 01:32 PM

jaa

from the linked thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloce49
But MB and Porsche are not in the same league as Maserati, and I don't mean
price.
-----------
I love what is going on in this guys brain..

obviously I'm a huge Maserati fan, but clearly he has not heard of the SLR, or Carrera GT..

-----------
Today, 02:38 PM

veloce49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa
from the linked thread:

I love what is going on in this guys brain..

obviously I'm a huge Maserati fan, but clearly he has not heard of the SLR, or Carrera GT..
-----------

The league I'm referring to is the styling league.
Mercedes and Porsche aren't members. Think Ferrari, Aston Martin and Jaguar.
It's sometimes called charm, panache and pizzazz and not known to the German or for that matter the Japanese brands.
Obviously a matter of opinion, mine. Dissenting opinions are strongly discouraged (LOL).

-----------

Today, 06:11 PM

TravisJ
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloce49
The league I'm referring to is the styling league.
Mercedes and Porsche aren't members. Think Ferrari, Aston Martin and Jaguar.
It's sometimes called charm, panache and pizzazz and not known to the German or for that matter the Japanese brands.
Obviously a matter of opinion, mine. Dissenting opinions are strongly discouraged (LOL).

-----------

I believe makes like Ferrari, Aston, and select others have a mystique that is missed by the german brands. IMHO, Jaguars, while very nice cars, belong in the group with BMW, Mercedes, Porsche.

Today, 06:48 PM
michaeladler

-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisJ
I believe makes like Ferrari, Aston, and select others have a mystique that is missed by the german brands. IMHO, Jaguars, while very nice cars, belong in the group with BMW, Mercedes, Porsche.
I agree! There are basically 4 "exotic" and rare marques: Ferrari, Maserati, Aston Martin and Lamborghini and that is that! The rest are mass-produced cars including Jaguar, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity et al!

-----------

Today, 10:09 PM

jaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeladler
I agree! There are basically 4 "exotic" and rare marques: Ferrari, Maserati, Aston Martin and Lamborghini and that is that! The rest are mass-produced cars including Jaguar, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity et al!
-----------

this is true., and not true at the same time..

as I mentioned above, porsche and mercedes do make "exotic and rare" cars; as well as mass-produced..

unfortunately maserati is getting away from being "rare and exotic" the brand's PR will insist that marque is NOT and exotic, and is comparable to the upper end of BMW and Mercedes.. certainly the topic of this thread is proof of that..

I used to be like most on this board, and looked down on porsche as a mass produced soulless car, until I got a 993 (which is hand built btw) this got me interested in the brand again, which led to a GT3 RS purchase..

of course I test drove a new granturismo S,, it is about as fast as a 10 year old BMW M5 or a new porsche boxster S, and although it is no doubt a beautiful car, I don't think it is going to age very well. I would much rather buy a V8 Vantage with a manual gearbox for the same money.

I would not give up my GS spyder for its replacement model, even if no extra money was involved (and I have not even gotten around to installed Jeff's DBW and ECM yet)

for those who have their doubts about porsche and mercedes, go test drive the new GT3 RS or Turbo S, or mercedes SLS. You will have a newfound respect for these brands.. of course Carrera GT and SLR fall in the same category, however I doubt anybody will let you test drive those unless you write a fat deposit check or fork over your black amex..
Old 01-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maserati SUV?

Surely not?

Stand by... Googling...
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 AM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Tough to explain the magic of air-cooled bliss. I gave up years ago. There are, however a number of other models you could have mentioned to dissolve their cloud 9. The biturbo and Chrysler debacles come to mind immediately.

Here in Kansas City I can, without a doubt, say I see more Masi's than 993's - Can't blame the italians though, Porsche had to lose quite a bit of soul to come back from the brink of bankruptcy as well. It's too bad their aren't more people that just like cars in general, and not what their car says about them.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:16 AM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

She's hot - the car's not.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:52 AM
C2Cab95
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DocTock993

She's hot - the car's not.
This.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 AM
vaujot
Instructor

Sorry, but what would we say if a Maserati owner signed up here and tried to convince us that the 3200 GT is better looking than the 993?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I test drove a Maserati Spyder GT before purchasing the 993. I loved they way it looked. The engine was great. All other aspects of the vehicle was not. I think I liked the idea of saying I owned a Maserati more than owning one.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:42 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vaujot
Sorry, but what would we say if a Maserati owner signed up here and tried to convince us that the 3200 GT is better looking than the 993?
Encourage him/her to buy a 993

Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the whole point of the modern Maserati was to provide a production volume platform for Ferrari (based?) engines? That's not very "exotic and rare."

I see them all the time here, pretty much at a "Porsche level," and certainly about 5 times more often than F-car and Aston combined. We do seem to have a bewildering amount of Lambo Murcielago and/or whatever the other current "volume" model is called. Not like they're getting any cheaper. I guess the rich get richer in this economy as well?

The Maserati taillights always trick my brain into seeing a last-gen Prelude!

Quick Reply: so, I TOFTT on the maserati forum.. (warning, LONG)