Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil one oil formulations (w/ updated spec sheet)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Good question ...
The Mobil 1 5W-30 that you have used since the first inspection was reformulated and had 1200 ppm ZDDP when first available in 1993.
I would stick with the new Mobil 1 0w-50 for our cars.
But what were the level decreases between 1993 and now?

As for the 0W-50 that you would be sticking with, I take it you are referring to the Mobil 1 Racing which is "not recommended for street use", according to that list. I take it they state that because there may be some disadvantages associated with that oil.

Just what I mentioned earlier in one of the posts above about Zn being a last line of defense...from that article...

When exposed to heat and pressure, ZDDP forms a protective film on metal surfaces that prevents parts (cam lobes and tappets, for example) from making metal-to-metal contact.
^^^And that happens when the film of oil has broken down and that is where I believe the Zn comes into play...the last line of defence. Oil as far as I know has two main purposes; to prevent metal to metal contact and to remove heat...besides not foaming, preventing corrosion, etc.

I'm not on the track or running my engine to extremes. I think M1 15W-50 is fine. Looking at the cam lobes on my 993, they look like they just got installed.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vincer77
Those of us tempted to use a ZDDP additive should take notice that too much is also bad.
Also note that what is good for one application, may not be good for another.

Back in the early 70s, racing two-strokes used castor oil in the pre-mix. It had one great smell when a TZ went by. It was also a very good lubricant...for the purposes of a race. I believe the long term downside was varnish build-up.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I've often wondered and asked the question many times on forums..."how much do I need?"

The list of references in that article is long, but then I can ask another question.

My 1999 daily driver has 199,400 kms (~124,000 miles) on it. Its driven all year, just about every day with cold starts down to -20F. I've used nothing but Mobil 1 5W-30 since the first inspection. That oil has 800/900 ppm.

Having just installed a new timing belt and associated parts a few months ago, my cams and followers looked like they just came out of the package on the assembly line. Absolutely no scuffing on the approach side of the cams and no pitting of any kind anywhere, period!

So I'm wondering, how much more protection do I need?
Alex,

Modern 4-valve engines use soft valve springs due to the reduced mass of the valves and as such, do not load the camshafts and followers as much as 2-valve engines do, all things being equal.

Thats why SM/SN oils do OK in these types of engines.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Alex,

Modern 4-valve engines use soft valve springs due to the reduces mass of the valves and as such, do not load the camshafts and followers as much as 2-valve engines do, all things being equal.

Thats why SM/SN oils do OK in these types of engines.
Steve, mind you, when I had the valve covers off the 993 to do the valve cover seals, the cams lobes looked like new as well. I couldn't see the rocker surfaces though. Maybe I'm lucky or my car hasn't seen a hard life.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2010, 12:30 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As for the 0W-50 that you would be sticking with, I take it you are referring to the Mobil 1 Racing which is "not recommended for street use", according to that list. I take it they state that because there may be some disadvantages associated with that oil.
I am sure the disclaimer is due to the poisoning of the catalyst problem. But maybe there are other differences.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:26 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

But what were the level decreases between 1993 and now?

Just what I mentioned earlier in one of the posts above about Zn being a last line of defense...from that article...

^^^And that happens when the film of oil has broken down and that is where I believe the Zn comes into play...the last line of defence. Oil as far as I know has two main purposes; to prevent metal to metal contact and to remove heat...besides not foaming, preventing corrosion, etc.

I'm not on the track or running my engine to extremes. I think M1 15W-50 is fine. Looking at the cam lobes on my 993, they look like they just got installed.
Hi Alex, I agree with using Mobil 1 15w50 for the street and 0w-50 for the track.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Alex, I agree with using Mobil 1 15w50 for the street and 0w-50 for the track.
When I had my car in for some service this year at my mechanics shop he used M1 0-50w when I asked him to replace the oil. I've driven a total of 1k miles since then. I'm not a chemist but I do understand the importance of using the correct oil for differing engine types and driving purposes, but now I am concerned that I'm at risk with this type of oil. Should I go replace it with 15-50 at the next available opportunity?
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vincer77
I am sure the disclaimer is due to the poisoning of the catalyst problem. But maybe there are other differences.
You're probably spot on and here we've already been talking about that aspect. I was thinking additives that might have be time dependent which probably is not the case or reason...sort of like the two-stroke oil I mentioned a few posts up.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
I am concerned that I'm at risk with this type of oil.
If you go through this thread, you may have noticed someone stating that the Zn level was decreased to maintain the life of the catalytic converter, which is true. By using the oil that is presently in your engine with the higher Zn level, I don't think you are risking the engine...only the $$$ catalytic converter $$$.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

If you go through this thread, you may have noticed someone stating that the Zn level was decreased to maintain the life of the catalytic converter, which is true. By using the oil that is presently in your engine with the higher Zn level, I don't think you are risking the engine...only the $$$ catalytic converter $$$.
Actually, it was mainly the Phosphorus that was reduced to extend the life of the cat.

There is a ton of detail information on these subjects available from SAE that among other things, explains precisely how Zinc & Phosphorus work, what happens when there is too much of these elements, and many other closely related subjects. I spent about $450 a few years ago on various papers to get an education on this very complex subject that was most enlightening and I'd encourage anyone wishing to understand this to do the same.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:20 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Actually, it was mainly the Phosphorus that was reduced to extend the life of the cat.
Now you know why I question so much of what I read on the web.

I heard and read that it was the Zn.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Per IXLR9: "Back in the early 70s, racing two-strokes used castor oil in the pre-mix. It had one great smell when a TZ went by. It was also a very good lubricant...for the purposes of a race. I believe the long term downside was varnish build-up."

+1! Ahhh, the smell of burning castor bean oil! Nostalgia! If you go to vintage races, every once in a while, you can get a whiff of it. I can close my eyes and do a time trip to the '50's and '60's.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Per IXLR9: "Back in the early 70s, racing two-strokes used castor oil in the pre-mix. It had one great smell when a TZ went by. It was also a very good lubricant...for the purposes of a race. I believe the long term downside was varnish build-up."

+1! Ahhh, the smell of burning castor bean oil! Nostalgia! If you go to vintage races, every once in a while, you can get a whiff of it. I can close my eyes and do a time trip to the '50's and '60's.

Blendzall has a fuel additive made for new engines (and old I suspect) with the same castor oil fragrance....it is marketed as an additive for top end break in.....I don't know what it would do to the cat on the 993 if anything, but I use it in my old 911 and 356....
Old 11-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Glenn Evans
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Vince, here is a research paper on the subject of ZDDP by Michael Grant.

The details of Mr. Grants research maybe found at this site.http://www.britishmotoring.net/curre...ow-To_full.pdf
The short version is summarized below ... hope this helps
Hi Vince, here is a research paper on the subject of ZDDP by Michael Grant.

The details of Mr. Grants research maybe found at this site.http://www.britishmotoring.net/curre...ow-To_full.pdf
The short version is summarized below ... hope this helps
Hi all! I hope you don't mind an interploper from the 928 forum reviving this thread. I found it when searching for Steve Weiner's latest posts on oil and wear.

Michael Grant concludes that wear problems mostly are the result of incorrect run-in, and that flat tappet engines can be run on oil with zinc content of 0.06 to 0.08 per cent once they are properly run in.

This is not the experience of an independent Porsche mechanic here in Sydney who, by the time he was drawn into the oil debate in 2006, had been seeing accelerated wear for some time, and had associated it with the use of light synthetic oils, including on older engines which previously hadn't shown untoward wear. He, however, had continued to use the oil which Australian dealers had adopted in the 1980s to withstand the demands of the 930, and engines run continuously on this showed no observable wear. I should add that it later became apparent that the reduction of ZDDP levels in oils was associated with greatly accelerated wear, not least through the writings of Charles Navarro and Steve Weiner.

Stever Weiner has said that he runs his engines in on his dyno so that he can control the process.

Steve, was this your practice before you became aware of the reduction in ZDDP? If your engines suffered wear after you had run them in, but they then were run on a low ZDDP oil, that seems to me to be more evidence that flat tapper engines cannot run on oil which is low ZDDP, even after run-in.

Last edited by Glenn Evans; 11-26-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: To add the "the reduction of ZDDP levels in oils was associated with greatly accelerated wear" comment.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:23 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

My concern, (although as a consumer, not a pro) is what seems to be a broad grouping of all of the "flat tappett" engines together, and stating it is good for one, it must be good for all. My '73 Olds Cutlass, that made a wonderful 180 hp, had a low compression, with a detuned v8. Maybe the low zddp would not have affected it, who knows.

What kind of loads are our lifters and cams seeing, versus the old hydraulic valves, and the old profile cams? I feel it is not so much the style of lifter, as much as the pressure generated.

Comments?

Quick Reply: Mobil one oil formulations (w/ updated spec sheet)