993 Forum 1995-1998

Odometer/speedo not working?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:15 AM
bosch's993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odometer/speedo not working?

Hey guys, new to the site, but was looking to see if you guys had ever heard of anything like this. (Probably?) I just got my 993 about a week ago, from my dad as a birthday present, he had had it for awhile, just sitting, so we replaced the battery and it fired up just fine, one of the only things that doesn't work is the Speedo/Odometer, which causes the cruise control and automatic spoiler not to work, although it can still be activated manually, so i assume that is why it doesn't deploy automatically. Any help, i already checked the fuse, and at night when i turn on the lights, it still illuminates just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! thx in advance.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:34 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Just do a search on the forum (upper rt. corner) for "odometer gear". Plenty of info. on how to fix plus source for the gear. $25 for the gear and about an hour or two of your time. Oh, yeah...welcome! You're gonna love this place! Post pics when you get a chance. We'd all like to see your "new to you" 993.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I suspect a bigger problem than just the odo gear if the speedo doesn't work either.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

That is indeed beyond gear repair. Welcome! What part of SoCal are you in?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
captain satellite
Advanced

Default 993 speedo/odo

I'd think it could be a relay. Mine had an intermittent issue and turned out to be a faulty relay. The mechanic found it using durametric software to read the codes.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:15 PM
bosch's993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
That is indeed beyond gear repair. Welcome! What part of SoCal are you in?
Thanks! Riverside, are you in SoCal?
Old 12-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Yes, I'm in Escondido.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:35 PM
bosch's993
Instructor

Ed: Cool!

Captian: How do I check and see if the relay is bad or not?

Last edited by bosch's993; 12-20-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:13 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

The relay/fuse chart in the owner's manual makes no reference to a relay that controls the speedometer.

Adrian Streather's book has a section on troubleshooting speedometer problems. It states the following:

1. No movement of speedometer needle but odometer works indicates internal failure of speedometer.

2. No movement of speedometer needle or odometer could be (a) blown fuse 18, (b) internal failure of speedometer, or (c) Loss of speed input signal from onboard computer.

3. No movement of speedometer needle or odometer and rear spoiler light remains illuminated after driving off and ABS and ABD warning light illuminates shortly after driving off could be (a) Blown fuse 16 (ABS), (b) wheel speed sensor failure (ABS), and/or (c) ABS/ABD control unit failed.

Streather also notes that one should, "Check functions of the onboard computer to assist in determining speedometer failure or loss of input signal failure" and that "A total electrical failure of the speedometer will cause failures in systems such as the retractable rear spoiler..."

I would think you will need to read some fault codes as mentioned above by Captain Satellite...According to Streather, OBD I faults codes related to the speedometer are hard engine fault code 1119 and soft engine code 1219...Both are driving speed signals. OBD II fault code P0501 is related to the driving speed signal. Finally, Streather also states there are system (Not OBD) fault codes related to ABS/ABD. They are fault codes 21 - 28 and are all related to speed sensors.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:35 PM
bosch's993
Instructor

Originally Posted by TMc993
The relay/fuse chart in the owner's manual makes no reference to a relay that controls the speedometer.

Adrian Streather's book has a section on troubleshooting speedometer problems. It states the following:

1. No movement of speedometer needle but odometer works indicates internal failure of speedometer.

2. No movement of speedometer needle or odometer could be (a) blown fuse 18, (b) internal failure of speedometer, or (c) Loss of speed input signal from onboard computer.

3. No movement of speedometer needle or odometer and rear spoiler light remains illuminated after driving off and ABS and ABD warning light illuminates shortly after driving off could be (a) Blown fuse 16 (ABS), (b) wheel speed sensor failure (ABS), and/or (c) ABS/ABD control unit failed.

Streather also notes that one should, "Check functions of the onboard computer to assist in determining speedometer failure or loss of input signal failure" and that "A total electrical failure of the speedometer will cause failures in systems such as the retractable rear spoiler..."

I would think you will need to read some fault codes as mentioned above by Captain Satellite...According to Streather, OBD I faults codes related to the speedometer are hard engine fault code 1119 and soft engine code 1219...Both are driving speed signals. OBD II fault code P0501 is related to the driving speed signal. Finally, Streather also states there are system (Not OBD) fault codes related to ABS/ABD. They are fault codes 21 - 28 and are all related to speed sensors.
Thanks, We have a reader, so i'll check them tonight and let you know what comes up.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:55 PM
bosch's993
Instructor

so I figured i'd just check it right now, after it was finished scanning, i went to DTC and it said no codes, so i'm gonna replace the fuse, and see what happens
Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 PM
bosch's993
Instructor

Lightbulb

Ok. YOU GUYS ROCK!
I went to replace Fuse #16 and it was blown, so i went to look for some in my Garage, couldn't find any, so i drive up to Autozone, and get a box of 'em. I installed it before i left so i could test it and see if the speedo would work.

It fixed the Speedo/Odometer, the CEL Light, the ABS light, the Spoiler Deployment Light, and the Cruise Control Stalk. And some how the Airbag Light?

Thank you for all the help, i would have never guessed it was the ABS Fuse, i guess i'll have to go buy that Book, seems like there's some good knowledge in there.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Ok, now pay for a membership! What a bargain this place is!

Great news!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Wow! The simplest of all the possible fixes...

I must say that rarely occurs on this board ...It's usually the most expensive part (Usually made of unobtainium) located in the most inaccessable location that goes bad....

One recommendation...Keep an eye on that fuse...There is usualy a reason they blow, so if it blows again, you may need to dig a little deeper.

Glad it worked out...

Terry
The following users liked this post:
sirdaft1 (09-07-2020)
Old 12-20-2010, 09:11 PM
bosch's993
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Ok, now pay for a membership! What a bargain this place is!

Great news!
Yeah, i just noticed that you can buy a membership, what does that get you?

Quick Reply: Odometer/speedo not working?