Sponsored by:

Horn/Airbag

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn/Airbag

The horn went out recently. At first, I was able to make it sound by turning the wheel in a different direction, then, only by pushing a certain area on the pad. After it completely died, I removed the airbag and had a look around. It didn't appear that anything was amiss. The fix that I found here referenced fixing the horn when it went on and had difficulty breaking contact. Obviously, that's ot my case.
I realize now I need to remove the pad again and try and test. Can someone tell me how to do that? That way, I can eliminate that area and move somewhere else to look for the problem.
(I did check the fuse. It was fine. The relay is supposed to be the same one for the backup light. Those are functioning fine. So I guess it is not the relay). Anything else I should look for before I hand it over to my guy?
TIA
Old 12-17-2010, 04:43 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The backup relay is the same one for the horn? So, your horn automatically blows when you shift into reverse? Might be a good idea for some people...

Seriously, with the airbag off, you should be able to move the frame back and forth and hear the electrical contacts touching (making metal-to-metal contact), which should sound the horn (with the ignition on). I doubt that's where the problem is in your case, but based on your description, maybe the electrical contacts became corroded.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:11 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Hey Bruce, no corrosion anywhere.
PS
I think sounding the horn when going to reverse is cool...like when trucks do it. I think we're onto something here Happy holidays!
Old 12-18-2010, 07:28 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Ok. I'm bumping this back up in the hopes that I can make my need a bit more clear. With the airbag off, is there a way to create a jumper to sound the horn?
Baring that, if I take out the headlight unit, what should I look for that might be the culprit? Is there a way to test the horn from there?
Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I've done the fix for a "touchy" horn. Based on that project, IIRC, you'll trigger an airbag fault code if you try to test the horn by turning on the key while the airbag is disconnected.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:47 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Jim. The airbag light went on at the same time the horn went out.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:41 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Update: It turns out that the culprit is the clock spring! My guy plugged in a small module that connects to the airbag clip and makes the car think the airbag is connected and functioning properly. He used the hammer to clear the light and the codes told him it is the clock spring. Since current to the horn is also controlled by the unit, seems like we have found the problem! Should be installed today!

Quick Reply: Horn/Airbag