Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is it ok to drive if clutch is slipping a little

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:14 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Whats the problem putting a LWF in a '95? Stalling? A chip would solve that problem, no?
Old 12-17-2010, 03:59 AM
kelpbeds
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am tempted to change the flywheel as well if it only has a 100K miles llife, certainly don't want to drop the engine again if it can be avoided. And will give thought to RS and LWF.

Many thanks for all the replies.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kelpbeds
I am tempted to change the flywheel as well if it only has a 100K miles llife, certainly don't want to drop the engine again if it can be avoided. And will give thought to RS and LWF.

Many thanks for all the replies.
My 993 has 35K mi. (I bought it last year w/ 29k mi.). I'm in the process of re-installing the engine/tranny after replacing the clutch, PP and installing a LWF. The clutch itself had more than 1/2 life left but I'm doing this because the DMF was bad. My PPI informed me the DMF was bad and on more than a few occasions it would sound like a few marbles were loose back there. I just wanted it replaced/upgraded. Took the opportunity to replace a bunch of gaskets and the plug wires and will give the SAI passages a thorough cleaning while I'm at it. No one task needed to be done but it gave me the chance to get a bunch of not critical items addressed and to get more familiar w/ my 993.

Best of luck w/ your 993, many happy (s)miles.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:45 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Whats the problem putting a LWF in a '95? Stalling? A chip would solve that problem, no?
The problem is stalling. A chip does help but does not eliminate the problem for many (it does for some, but not mine). There are also ways to modify your driving to reduce stalling, too. But, again, doesn't work all the time. This is only on 95s. Many threads on this topic -- a search will provide too much information.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:57 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vorsicht, if you live in the hills you may want to stick with the DMF. While the LWF is a nice upgrade, I think it would be a PITA if you drive the hills a lot. IMHO in SF (and parts of the EB) we just have too many steep uphill, full stop intersections to make the LWF worth the trade off.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Unhappy

Vorsicht, if you live in the hills you may want to stick with the DMF. While the LWF is a nice upgrade, I think it would be a PITA if you drive the hills a lot. IMHO in SF (and parts of the EB) we just have too many steep uphill, full stop intersections to make the LWF worth the trade off.
Today 11:45 AM
Agree totally. Going with a LUK DMF. Now the question is where to buy it. Sunset wants $1040 and i've seen them on ebay for about $600.

Anyone have a slightly used one they'd like to sell me?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:42 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
Agree totally. Going with a LUK DMF. Now the question is where to buy it. Sunset wants $1040 and i've seen them on ebay for about $600.

Anyone have a slightly used one they'd like to sell me?
I have a used DMF in good condition that you can have. I got it from rennlist member boulderbobo. I'm not sure what miles it has on it. Just pay for shipping and it is yours. I think shipping from CO to RI was in he $45 range, so figure that or a little more maybe. PM me if interested,
Old 12-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
I have a used DMF in good condition that you can have. I got it from rennlist member boulderbobo. I'm not sure what miles it has on it. Just pay for shipping and it is yours. I think shipping from CO to RI was in he $45 range, so figure that or a little more maybe. PM me if interested,
I would HIGHLY recommend shipping it via USPS Pri. Mail Flat Rate box. Charge should be less than $15. May want to double box it but it works.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
The problem is stalling. A chip does help but does not eliminate the problem for many (it does for some, but not mine). There are also ways to modify your driving to reduce stalling, too. But, again, doesn't work all the time. This is only on 95s. Many threads on this topic -- a search will provide too much information.
Most experts agree that the stalling issues on '95s happen mostly to cars with other issues. It is not the fault of switching to a LWF alone. Mine went in with no stalling at all. I wish I would have done it years ago. It's like a different car now.
Make sure you have new plug wires, plugs, rotors and caps, and a clean isv. Steve's chip can't hurt either....

Quick Reply: Is it ok to drive if clutch is slipping a little