Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve guide, sai question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:12 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Since this was done at Carlsen, it's nearly 100% certainty that Ted at German Precision did the heads. Ted was the machinist at Garretson with Jerry Woods (and Bruce Anderson running the shop), so they pretty much invented the "performance" 911 valve guide along with Luke & Shorman in Berkeley.

Now, if you want more lubrication on the guides, just leave the exhaust stem seals off like the factory race cars. Should I fire up the yellow car, and post video of the mosquito abatement in action???
Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 PM
1991 porsche carrera 2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
you need to find out which valve guides they put in. The OEM ones that came with the car originally, were soft. There are later versions that are better. Look for a parts list.

If the OEM original guides were put back in, then you might have SAI issues eventually. If the better guides were put in, then it is less likely. It is VERY difficult to predict, as there are too many variables involved. but there are some precautions that might help.

1. allow the car to warm up before taking it to high (5k+ rpms)
2. don't take short trips that don't get the engine to operating temp
3. Italian tune up once in a while is a good thing.

Even if the SAI ports get clogged, there ARE a options other than a complete top end. i.e. the bass guitar string roto rooter. I was having SAI clogged port issues about 2 years ago, and did the bass guitar cleaning, and haven't had a CEL since.
The part number on my invoice is 993-104-321-71 Mean anything to anyone?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 PM
1991 porsche carrera 2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Since this was done at Carlsen, it's nearly 100% certainty that Ted at German Precision did the heads. Ted was the machinist at Garretson with Jerry Woods (and Bruce Anderson running the shop), so they pretty much invented the "performance" 911 valve guide along with Luke & Shorman in Berkeley.

Now, if you want more lubrication on the guides, just leave the exhaust stem seals off like the factory race cars. Should I fire up the yellow car, and post video of the mosquito abatement in action???

[U]Damn your good!!!! [/U I am really impressed. ]German Precision machined cylinder heads and installed new valves. Work was done May of 03. I am asuming by what you wrote that they do good work and know what they are doing. I know nothing when it comes to Porsches but am learning. It can get pretty scary when you read about some of the issues with these cars. I think I did my homework and found a good driver. Time will tell. Thanks for the input
Old 12-15-2010, 11:49 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Should I fire up the yellow car, and post video of the mosquito abatement in action???
Yes, please.

As for "mosquito abatement," man how I miss Parker's commentary and CART in general. Happy Holidays, and a hearty FTG.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:52 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991 porsche carrera 2
[U]Damn your good!!!! [/U I am really impressed. ]German Precision machined cylinder heads and installed new valves. Work was done May of 03. I am asuming by what you wrote that they do good work and know what they are doing. I know nothing when it comes to Porsches but am learning. It can get pretty scary when you read about some of the issues with these cars. I think I did my homework and found a good driver. Time will tell. Thanks for the input
"They" is Ted. Though I haven't spoken to him in several years now since I'm not doing engines anymore, he was always a solo shop.

A few of us have been around since pretty much forever. When I first got my first 911 and joined PCA, there were often tech sessions at Garretson. The 935 (what later became referred to as the "911 with the most racing miles" at something like 60K with all the Le Mans, Daytona, and Sebring action with Bob, Rahal, Redman, etc. at the wheel) would be sitting there in some state of disassembly in the shop with no one really caring if you crawled in/around it. So I did, and was an 18 year old version of the kid in the Porsche ad who bugs the guy at the dealership saying "someday."

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Yes, please.

As for "mosquito abatement," man how I miss Parker's commentary and CART in general. Happy Holidays, and a hearty FTG.
Car's back up in the garage at the track, so it'll be a huge cloud when it's start up time after sitting for a month or two.

Quick Reply: valve guide, sai question