Sponsored by:

OT Thinking hard about a 356

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:21 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT Thinking hard about a 356

I've got the serious hots for a 356 as of late. I'm thinking about finding a bit of a project and have spent some time over at the 356 Registry forum (I'm cheating I know) Anybody owned one or know of a nice project car or driver that's rough around the edges? Perhaps this will all wear off soon.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:52 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

I owned one years ago and have a friend who owned one from new until about 5 years ago. Some things to think about:

1. 356s are prone to rust and once it starts, catching and repairing rust is a never ending battle.
2. Depending on how orignal you want to keep your car, part costs range from high to astronomical.
3. Most mechanical parts are fairly readily available, body bits and pieces less so.
4. The mechanical skill set required to work on a 356 is not significantly different that that required for working on a vintage VW.
5. Be prepared to tinker and fiddle with the car constantly...If you don't like to tinker and fiddle, don't get one.
6. Compared to something as pedestrain as a KIA, 356s are bog slow, have diabolical handling, lousy brakes, and no creature comforts.

There's other stuff, but this covers the major points....

Terry
Old 11-30-2010, 12:03 PM
matt777
Drifting

Thanks Terry. I certainly understand the potential for rust in these cars. I starting to believe that there are two types of 356s - ones that have been restored including new floors and longitudinals and rusty ones. You don't sound like you have fond memories of your 356 ownership.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

I owned 4, but a long time ago. 2 roadsters, 60 S90, 61 S, 62 Notch back & a 60 S90 sunroof coupe. My memories are great & i would love to have another if I had the garage space. They are simple to work on and would be a great summer car in Alberta. If you pull the trigger, make sure you get a S90 engine. S90's are much more lively.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Years ago my wife had a 68 912, which is basically a 911 with a 356 motor. It was that car that got me addicted to Porsches.

The older cars, i.e. mid 70s and earlier are quite nostalgic. I would love to get a 356 cab or another 912 one of these days.
We really loved our 912. Living in CA, though it was a real PITA to smog every 2 years, that was probably the worst part of the ownership. We got rid of the 912 in the late 90s, but even then, parts were starting to get pretty pricey.
The simplicity of the motor compared to modern cars is pretty remarkable.
Even more remarkable is the similarity in handling characteristics over the decades, and the interior design layout (at least thorough the 993).
Old 11-30-2010, 02:01 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matt777
You don't sound like you have fond memories of your 356 ownership.
I didn't mean to imply that at all. It was my first Porsche and my first sports car after a youth spent drag racing and following the likes of Bobby Allison, Neil Bonnet and Red Farmer around as they ran the circle tracks in Alabama before NASCAR became a major marketing force.

I enjoyed the 356 a great deal. My reply to your post was simply to state the bare facts, leaving the emotion out of the equation.

Sinfulsteve is correct in that having one as a sunny weekend driver would be fun and also correct that an S90 is the way to go. Mine was an S90 with open carbs and headers and it made the most wonderful racket!

At the risk of committing heresy, if the Porsche cachet isn't important, you can get some really nice, brand new replicas these days for a fraction of the cost of a 356....New components, more power, greater reliability and a slippery slope of mods to die for...I had a Beck 550 Spyder that was great fun to drive...About four months out of the year...Sold it and got my 993.

T
Old 11-30-2010, 02:02 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Matt....... The Porsche bug has really hit you

Rust repair is a pain in the butt, however there are plenty of sources for replacement sheet metal, both factory and aftermarket.. as an example:

http://www.restoration-design.com/Me...y_Code=356-CHA

I have bought parts from these guys over the years and the parts I have received have been pretty good.

Good luck on you quest.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:28 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Not that I want to pour water on a burning fire but, unless you find a solid, restored car in excellent condition, you're going to either a) be able to do your own work or b) pay someone else to do it. Good paint and body shops charge serious $ and so do good repair shops. And what's been said about parts is spot-on. A couple of years ago, rummaging around in my big tool chest, I found an old MESSKO air gauge with a Bakelite body that had been in my '66 912...same as the ones in 356's. It brought $275 on eBay!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:40 PM
SMehder
Instructor

IF you want the 356, look to the 912. More creature comforts, more room, better brakes, and more affordable. Still have the rust issue to deal with, but you start at a better price point.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:42 PM
matt777
Drifting

Thanks for the input guys. I am really set on a 356 and its probably just a nostalgic thing. 912s ,VWs and replicas are much cheaper but they are not what I want. I've been restoring muscle cars so rust, bad brakes and tinkering are the norm. I'm not into spending $40-$60k for a restored 356 coupe and $30kish seems to get a nice unrestored car with potential rust problems so unless I can find a reasonably priced project car o r driver this idea won't fly. I want something I can work on as a hobby.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:29 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

I want something I can work on as a hobby.
As Peter Egan once wrote about his XKE, "I went into the garage to fix a slipping clutch and before I knew it, I had diassembled the entire car."

I hope you find a great car...

Terry
Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$30kish seems to get a nice unrestored car with potential rust problems so unless I can find a reasonably priced project car o r driver this idea won't fly. I want something I can work on as a hobby.
Maybe a roller with body and paint done but not yet re-assembled is your ticket?

Personally, I'd do a Beck Spyder and call it a day.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:53 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 356 experience is similar to Terry. I think he has some excellent points. I would suggest the newest one you can find. A 356C with disk brakes. Rust will always be an issue, so find one with a tolerable amount of rust. Most mechanical issues can be addressed without too much trouble. If you have engine issues you'll have to find an expert to help you sort them out. A 356 cab is a great car for crusing on a sunny day!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:16 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by TMc993
...I hope you find a great car...

Terry
Thanks Terry.

Originally Posted by dcdude
Maybe a roller with body and paint done but not yet re-assembled is your ticket?...
That would be nice. I did find something like that for sale at a small dealership - $35k IIRC!

Originally Posted by MDamen
A 356 cab is a great car for cruising on a sunny day!
A roadster would be nice but the prices are very stiff. I suppose this is where a replica comes in but they just don't do anything for me.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:10 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

One more post....Mike has a great point about disc brakes...If you can find a 356 C with discs, all the better....The drum brakes on the A and B model were notorious for pulling...

My approach to adjusting them on my B would be to take the hubcaps off, drive down a straight road, step on the brakes, see which way it pulled, get out and turn the adjusters...Repeat as often as it takes to get the car to stop straight....I lived in St Petersburg at the time and one day I almost drove to Miami before I got them right!

I was amazed when a friend got a 356 C and never had to adjust his brakes!

T

Quick Reply: OT Thinking hard about a 356