Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche: there is no BENTLEY substitute ... yet (think 928s & Panameras)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010 | 04:39 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Porsche: there is no BENTLEY substitute ... yet (think 928s & Panameras)

AutoCar.co.uk's "Porsche 'could share with Bentley:"

Originally Posted by John McIlroy

Porsche’s new boss Matthias Müller has said the firm should share platforms and knowledge with VW Group stablemate Bentley - but admitted the British brand’s own plans could affect the chances of putting further variants of the Panamera into production.

Porsche is said to be keen to improve its economies of scale, particularly on the Panamera’s platform. That’s led to speculation that the car could spawn a a big two-door coupé as an indirect successor to the 928.

Müller has now admitted that further variants of the car are likely, but he also foresees tie-ups with Bentley. “I think we have to discuss with Bentley whether we can put together our performance, our engineers,” he said. “It should be possible.

“What we want to do, in conjunction with Bentley, is to have a common architecture, a common performance in purchasing, and so on. That is just an offer to Bentley; you have to understand. Everybody will be keen to get synergies and reduce costs, and at the end of the day, have a better revenue.”

Müller said that more than one Panamera variant was being considered. “To have only a four-door limousine is a boring option for the future,” he stated. “You can imagine a coupé with two doors, a longer version, maybe a van, a combi, or something else. There are a lot of ideas about the Panamera line-up but we cannot do all of these derivatives at the same time, and we need to look at the customers, whether they are keen to have a derivative of the Panamera.

“We have to look at our competitors, and our internal competitors. Maybe there is a Bentley; we have to look at whether the Porsche can fit in with the strategy there. It would be stupid to have a car, a derivative, which substitutes, or is substituted, to 100 per cent by another brand.”

When asked directly if Bentley’s Continental GT would affect the production decision on a two-door 928 successor, Müller said, “Yes, of course.”
Old 11-26-2010 | 04:48 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Does Muller simply not get what Porsche stands for?
Old 11-26-2010 | 04:56 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Porsche Stuttgart Stallion+Bentley Wings = Pegasus?
Old 11-26-2010 | 06:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Does Muller simply not get what Porsche stands for?
Porsche no longer exists as an independent Marque, thanks to Dr. W's folly.

I see nothing wrong with the options the new owners have.
Old 11-26-2010 | 06:59 PM
trophy
Race Car

I really like the look of the 2 door panamera, and i am sure the rump would look appropriate as a coupe..... Bring it on.
Old 11-26-2010 | 10:51 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Porsche Stuttgart Stallion+Bentley Wings = Pegasus?
Fixed it for you ... Pigasus

Quick Reply: Porsche: there is no BENTLEY substitute ... yet (think 928s & Panameras)