993 Forum 1995-1998

Disassemble seat rails

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:11 AM
cdm_356
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disassemble seat rails

My driver seat rail seems to be difficult to slide back and forth.

Has anyone taken apart the seat rail to clean the bearings that the seat rail rolls on.

There doesn't seem to be a way to fully dissamble the rail.

I searched previous topics and looked at p-car but the really isn't any info out there on the subject

I tried greasing the seat rails but would like to take it apart to clean and then regrease

Thanks
David
Old 11-21-2010, 07:37 AM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi,

only way to do this is to grind off the metal dimples/protrusions that act as rail stops. This allows the upper rail to slide right off. If its difficult to move you'll find that you may have lost the odd ball or two. It'll still work fine with most of them there. Make sure you catch all of them as you the rail comes off. Fiddly getting them back but doable. Plenty of grease will help hold them.

With the rails apart drill the rail where the dimples were and put a self tapping screw in the holes when you reassemble to act as a stop. Works like a charm.

Hope this helps
Old 02-24-2014, 08:54 AM
sramdeen
Track Day

Found this while searching. Guards, is there any job on the 993 you haven't done?
I have tried to grind off the rearmost dimples and then slide the rail all the way forwards, but it still seems to be getting stuck. Should I have ground off the dimples on the front of the rail or should I be able to get it out this way?

Many thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 11:14 AM
sramdeen
Track Day

Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi mate, sorry for the delay. It should slide off either way as long as you have removed the dimples on both sides of the rail. If it's not going then you have a dislodged ball (!) which is catching on something. The rails do wear a little so you may need to mount in a vice and tap it off....
Old 02-24-2014, 04:22 PM
sramdeen
Track Day

lol, sounds painful. Thanks for your advice, Guards. I have taken the two rails off of the driver's seat and will take them over to my parents where I can use the bench vice. As I was 'gently' tapping the rails in an attempt to get them out, I managed to knock out four *****. Three of them are normal steel ball bearings but one of them looks ever so slightly larger and looks to be of nylon or plastic in construction :/ It's orange in colour.

Well, this has taught me not to buy things on ebay without first trying every function before handing over the readies.

Quick Reply: Disassemble seat rails