Sponsored by:

Cant go into 1st 3rd or 5th

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 PM
cmoored4u
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant go into 1st 3rd or 5th

So the other day I was backing out and had the clutch pushed in and the clutch disengaged slinging the car back. I still had the clutch pushed in. So i got a new slave cylinder because it was leaking pretty bad and I assume its the problem. Only thing is when it happened I panicked because I almost ran into another car. SO while slamming on the brakes I pushed the shifter out of reverse. It popped out of rev pretty hard and now it willnt go into 1st 2nd or 5th, Any of the forward gears. Even if the car is off. Not sure if this could be a tranny problem or a problem in the shifter linkage. Has anyone ever had this happen, or can anyone give me a place to start. Also after it happened I tried to put car in rev to move. . well clutch pedal stuck to the floor with no pressure and now its in rev with car off./ It would not come out of rev. I messed with it for like 20 min and I didnt do anything but it came out of gear. I dont have the car at home so if I could get some help before I drive over to try and figure it out. If I cant Im taking it to the dealership on monday but hopefully I dont have to because I really cant afford it.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:39 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 354 Posts

I'm not a transmission expert, but I'm thinking you are going to have to get the clutch working before you know if you've done any damage to the transmission. It is certainly possible that you damaged the linkage or internal parts, but it also may be that the gears won't engage because they stopped turning in a position that doesn't allow them to engage. It may be that once you have the clutch functioning properly, it will allow the gears and syncronizers to spin so they can align and mesh.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:47 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the external shift linkage. Perhaps it popped off a locating ball or something else external failed.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:02 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Sounds like a broken shift fork to me... I broke a shift fork a couple of years ago with similar results. The bottom of the fork, where the actuating rod goes through is pretty weak. I happened to break third gear and the broken piece jammed the rod where it would not go into the odd gears (1,3,5).

If that is the case, or if you even think it is, I would not try to run the car without cracking the case or a least getting a mechanic to take a look. The chance of loose debris getting into the gears could be catastrophic.

just my 2 cents....
Old 11-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clutch pedal on the floor? Failed clutch mechanism....roll pin in pedal cluster or hydraulic fault with system....cylinders, hose????

Quick Reply: Cant go into 1st 3rd or 5th