Steering Wheel wobble at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:30 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. No
Do the Walrod bushings require maintenance that the OEM bushings do not, e.g, lubrication???
The grease supplied with the bushings should last for at least 1,000 years. It's that tenacious.

On the other hand, it would be extremely easy to pull the front arms after a few years, clean the bushings, and repack.

Andreas
Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Synapse120
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Does touching the brakes make any difference? When I got my 96 coupe a couple years back the symtoms mimicked warped rotors, i.e. bad shimmy when hitting the brakes, new bushing and all was good, didn't need the rotors changing. On my 97 with only 46k miles the shimmy was there as you are describing with your car, new bushing and presto, smooth.
As a matter of fact, i do feel the mimicked warped rotor symptoms when touching the brakes mostly at higher speeds.

Most people have suggested the Chris Walrod bushings. Have most people done this themselves or brought it to porsche shop to do this work, if the latter how much should it cost ballpark?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Synapse120
Have most people done this themselves or brought it to porsche shop to do this work, if the latter how much should it cost ballpark?
I removed mine myself which isn't too hard and took them to a local machine shop that pressed out the old bushings/sleeves and did some kind of bead blasting on them to clean them up. Cost me $75. It seems like I remember reading that can ship your a-arms to Walrod and have him do the swap for you. Not sure how much taking it to a dealer would cost, probably 3 or 4 hours of labor...

Here's my before and after pics.
Attached Images   
Old 11-17-2010, 04:07 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a matter of fact, i do feel the mimicked warped rotor symptoms when touching the brakes mostly at higher speeds.

Most people have suggested the Chris Walrod bushings. Have most people done this themselves or brought it to porsche shop to do this work, if the latter how much should it cost ballpark?
Chris can do them for you. Don't know the latest pricing.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Synapse120
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the new arms in with the Walrod bushings and that problem is gone.

Unfortunately i was enjoying the car's new feel to much apparently and seemed to have collapsed a hydraulic lifter. On to the next job now :|
Old 12-06-2010, 06:21 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got the new arms in with the Walrod bushings and that problem is gone.

Unfortunately i was enjoying the car's new feel to much apparently and seemed to have collapsed a hydraulic lifter. On to the next job now :|
Congratulations... and, ouch! Good luck with the new project

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel wobble at highway speed