Enough downforce to pop a wheelie.
Old 11-15-2010 | 09:08 PM
Augustus Davies

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Ducktail?

Old 11-15-2010 | 09:12 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the opinions. As I said in the original post, it's certainly not consistent with the RS look I love about many of our cars. However, I find myself moving farther down the slippery slope on track mods and this seems like it could provide substantial downforce - even relative to the RSCS wing. Although we may not like the aesthetics of a new GT3RS versus a 993 club sport, I suspect the aerodynamics are vastly improved.

I've bought stuff from Mike before and it's always been high quality. I've been trying to find out from him how this is mounted. If it includes the entire deck lid and could changed out easily, it might be a good addition for track days... just like my track wheels, which also don't look very good.

Price is $1600. Thanks for the Getty Design tip. I'll let you know what else I find out.

Greg
Old 11-15-2010 | 09:14 PM
Augustus Davies

I believe this guy is a member of RGruppe.......

Old 11-15-2010 | 09:18 PM
Augustus Davies

Greg,

Some wings look odd but as long as they do what there meant to do, it doesn't matter what they look like....Jack Olsen over at Pelican has a huge odd looking wing on his car....it keeps him planted and that's all that really matters..

Go for it!
Old 11-16-2010 | 05:15 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Here is the way most of us do it...

we start with a adjustable 3.8 wing from Getty Design. Next we take off the horizontal plane. Then we buy a set of uprights and attach them to the 3.8 wink, and finally we add a 60" wing to the top of the uprights...

This mod requires a new front splitter...you will be getting down force from this monster wing set up. It can induce some significant understeer at speed.

Just as a point of information. the 993 RS Club Sport wing creates 160 Lb. of downforce with 9 degrees of wing down angle at 170 mph, info from Porsche. This is balanced out by the a 993 GT2 front splitter. You'll need the HP to get to 170 MPH, perhaps install a 993 3.8 motor for some extra grunt, to complete the package

Use of this wing may bump you up a class if you are racing. And I must opine, that Getty wing pictured is butt ugly.
Old 11-16-2010 | 09:12 AM
zechunique
Racer

Greg,
Does Shaw offer/recommend a front wing/bumper system to balance the rear? Has it been tested appropriately? Is the rear Shaw wing comparable to the specs of the 2010 RS wing?
I know its not period correct, but I like the look (at least in the one pic you posted).
Sorry for all the questions. I guess you were looking more for answers, not more questions, but that's all I've got...
I'm thinking for buying a second lid to mount a wing for track use, and keep the RS for usual driving. Both are great looks IMHO.
Old 11-16-2010 | 07:11 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default If you go with a Factory look, get a

993 RS Club Sport Tail (It fits where your moveable spoiler now sits) and a 993 RS Club Sport Front splitters. To complete the look, get some 993 RS side skirts.

I did just this (Almost, I installed a Getty Design 993 GT2 tail that is the complete deck lid) and the car is awesome,
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2010 | 09:01 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Can't get a response to emails or voice mails left with Shaw. Hope he's OK. Don't know anything other than what his website says. btw... it's not on the Getty Design site, so this must be Shaw's alone, or maybe Getty thinks it's so ugly they don't want to take credit be for it!

Website says that it's a 997 GT3 RS wing, so I assume they built a mold based on the real thing. They also have a 997 GT3 RS front bumper cover including the splitter. From the one picture on their website, it actually looks pretty good, but I would not want such a permanent change to the 993 look.

Martin, thanks for the picture of your car. The wing is beautiful (especially in white). I've seen several cars using the approach you mention in the earlier post about installing uprights and a big wing on the 3.8 wing base... IMHO the Shaw design looks much better. it looks like a well thought out design rather than a HS auto shop project.

+1 on the extra grunt.

If I get a response from Shaw, I'll post answers to questions... and maybe get more pictures.
Old 11-16-2010 | 09:16 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
993 RS Club Sport Tail (It fits where your moveable spoiler now sits) and a 993 RS Club Sport Front splitters. To complete the look, get some 993 RS side skirts.

I did just this (Almost, I installed a Getty Design 993 GT2 tail that is the complete deck lid) and the car is awesome,
well, Martin's BABY is pretty, (with it's GT2 wing), but i prefer the RSCS look.

hopefully Mr Shaw is just on holiday
Attached Images   
Old 11-16-2010 | 09:27 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Greg: great looking car. Please don't ruin it with that god awful looking wing. I like it on the GT3 but looks horrid on the 993. RSCS or GT2. If you need more downforce, go can always add the banana extension to the GT2 wing.
Old 11-16-2010 | 09:33 PM
jscott82
Drifting

Originally Posted by Martin S.
we start with a adjustable 3.8 wing from Getty Design. Next we take off the horizontal plane. Then we buy a set of uprights and attach them to the 3.8 wink, and finally we add a 60" wing to the top of the uprights...

This mod requires a new front splitter...you will be getting down force from this monster wing set up. It can induce some significant understeer at speed.

Just as a point of information. the 993 RS Club Sport wing creates 160 Lb. of downforce with 9 degrees of wing down angle at 170 mph, info from Porsche. This is balanced out by the a 993 GT2 front splitter. You'll need the HP to get to 170 MPH, perhaps install a 993 3.8 motor for some extra grunt, to complete the package

Use of this wing may bump you up a class if you are racing. And I must opine, that Getty wing pictured is butt ugly.
+1 this is the tried and true setup.... but need HP to back it up on fast courses.

+100 on butt ugly gt3 thing....
Old 11-17-2010 | 01:06 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Would have gotten the 993 RS CS wing, but...

I found the 993 GT2 wing, used, and pretty cheap too...it is the complete deck lid and wing, from Getty Design. Cheap is my motto....
Old 11-17-2010 | 08:46 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

When it comes to aero, you have a couple of choices...
1. Randomly pick a tail and front splitter that wasn't designed by porsche engineers, and that no-one else has ever tested or raced with success, and then you can test, change, test, change, test... etc, going through countless iterations wing shapes, pitch angles, endplate configurations, splitters, etc... and eventually you might get lucky. You'd improve your chances of success if you had the benefit of a wind tunnel, sophisticated data logging capabilities (e.g., ride-height sensors), a pro driver, and a team of engineers and mechanics to help.
2. Trust in the engineers from Porsche, who have designed very capable, aesthetically pleasing, and time-tested options that won't hurt the resale of your car (RS, RSCS, GT2). Slapping a GT3 tail on a car with completely different aerodynamics is not the same thing.
3. Find someone that has already done the testing and has won a bunch of races and copy what they did (cgfen's suggestion of 3.8 or GT2 tail base and 60" banana wing on uprights with matched front EVO I or II bumper and splitters seams to be the most popular option in successful PCA GT class and NASA GTS challenge series racers in my region).

Last edited by ninjabones; 11-17-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2010 | 02:57 PM
ble2011
Drifting

In the past I was'nt a big fan of ductails. Now, they seem to grow on me. On a 993 they sure look good.

Quick Reply: GT3 Wing for 993... opinions?