Sponsored by:

More sunroof Shenanigans!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More sunroof Shenanigans!

A glorious fall day found me dealing with the non-working sunroof. I discovered that both cables had come loose and took a page from a pelican DIY and re-used the cables along with some JB weld. I was pleased that they seem to have held...so far. The problem is I cannot get the roof to close the way it did before. More specifically, it doesn't go far enough to make the rear go up. I tried to change the setting on the two barrels that ride on the rail, I tried pushing the roof as far forward as possible and then dropped the cable driver, but no change. What is it exactly that makes the back go up?
TIA
Old 11-10-2010, 07:24 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry that you're going to open this thread hoping to find an answer when I can only commiserate. Did the same thing about six months ago and STILL can't get it to work right. Fortunately it was hot here in FL so I simply closed it and left it (left headliner unconnected so I could "assist" the back of the sunroof up with a gentle tap). Now it's good sunroof weather and I can't use it.

Two things to check.
- Make sure the sunroof is aligned. Pull the transmission gear in back and push it all the way open first. If you already did that or did not pull the gear in the first place, maybe not worth trying - I think less likely to be the culprit.
- Adjust the height of the sunroof at the back. It's EXTREMELY sensitive at both the front and rear. If it's a tad too low in the front, it won't scoot over the wind deflector. At the back, it prevents the hinges that push up the sunroof from fully articulating.

It seems to me like the ramps that start the hinges going up should go back a little, but I think they screw down in one place.

Curious: do you feel like your sunroof is well centered in the hole or is it too far forward?

dave
Old 11-10-2010, 07:40 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time for sunroof delete! Obviously not for everybody, but that's what I hope to do if I ever have serious sunroof problems.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Dave. Your support means alot! I do think it is centered b/c it moves well back and forth. When I installed it, I did so with it in the almost closed position. I'll try putting it in in the almost fully opened position. How do I adjust the back? There are two connections: the ones with the barrel nuts and the ones with second plate that fits over the first one. The barrel ones I've fiddled with but don't know what else can be adjusted.
@Bart: I passed on a cab b/c this one had a sunroof which makes it perfect on days that I don't want to drive my Detroit special I'm not yet convinced this is serious; just shows my lack of know-how

Quick Reply: More sunroof Shenanigans!