Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,405 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
?????????????????????
explain this to me please?
are you saying that the stroke varies depending upon RPM or something else?

cheers

Craig
kinda. Rods stretch a touch at those kinda piston speeds.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:24 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
kinda. Rods stretch a touch at those kinda piston speeds.
true, there is some compliance in bearing shells , piston - piston pin interface and the rods may stretch a tad, but i think measuring this somewhat minuscule "growth" would be challenging and difficulty to quantify.

be safe

Craig
Old 11-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,405 Likes on 814 Posts

very much so. I'd guess its simply not having the piston stop at the exact same spot each revolution. Further, this ring is generally carbon, which most people agree can be blown out with a good italian tune up.

I don't think about how I drive the car. Sometimes I drive at 1500rpm with little throttle, other times I'm hitting the rev limiter often. I don't pay attention to how many times i hit redline or how early I shift.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
This may sound stupid, but I am a mechanical engineer. It is fact that wear is produced by friction (which is motion). So if you wind up your engine in the higher rev ranges, you must, by defintion, be wearing them faster then if you don't. Look at F1 engines, or even NASCAR engines. They are designed to perform at very high engine speeds - and they do not last very long. I think this year's F1 series allows the manufacturers only 8 engines for the season - and that's it. I know they measure all types of variables so that they even out the wear expecting the engines to require rebuilding. I'm talking normal wear and tear and not catastrophic failure (such as a connecting rod breaking at very high rpm).

I read on these boards often that many rennlisters routinely red line their cars in everyday driving. While the 993 (and any air cooled 911) engine has that special sound - especially in the higher rev ranges (for the most part above 4000 rpm), I can't believe it does them any real long term good. If you take piston travel per mile driven, it defies any engineering data to suggest it will last longer at more piston/feet/mile travelled than less.

Same with tires, brakes - any item in or on a car that "wears" from use. Even windowglass gets pitted and eventually needs replacement - and that's just friction of little particles in the air hitting off the glass as you drive.

While I'm not advocating putting your car in the garage and not driving it, I do see lots of "harry high school" types driving their muscle cars at full throttle all the time and these cars when they get only a few years old look like the walking wounded.
It's all relative.

Usually it's valve train that is the limiting factor in a motor.

F1 uses peumatic valves.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:57 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not a Mechanical Engineer, but I'm Italian and drive as one.

Quick Reply: Red Lining a 993 (or any 911) engine