Sponsored by:

New Regear and LWF

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmarch
I just swapped a g50/31 into my car and sold my old transmission approximately a year ago. It cost me a lot less than $9K. Plus I got a 2 year warranty from Porsche.

Cheers,
Joe
Can you expand on this? Did you buy a new (I'm assuming this, since you have a warranty) or used transmission? Can you share prices for the in and the out trannies?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:20 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just swapped a g50/31 into my car and sold my old transmission approximately a year ago. It cost me a lot less than $9K. Plus I got a 2 year warranty from Porsche.

Cheers,
Joe
From what I have read (on Rennlist) the price is much higher now plus you need a like core (G50/31).
Old 11-01-2010, 02:45 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be, I haven't checked pricing lately. When I did the swap last year, I bought my g50/31 from Sunset for approximately $10.8K shipped to my door. I sold my old transmission to a Rennlister for $4.75K.

FWIW, I'm really happy with the result It was worth it for me.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 PM
matt777
Drifting

Could be, I haven't checked pricing lately. When I did the swap last year, I bought my g50/31 from Sunset for approximately $10.8K shipped to my door. I sold my old transmission to a Rennlister for $4.75K.

FWIW, I'm really happy with the result It was worth it for me.

Cheers,
Joe
That not bad at all when you consider that you got a new gbx w/warranty.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:38 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

The last price I've seen listed on one was back in Feb. Price and stock levels can change a lot in that amount of time. It would be worth making a new inquiry if someone is interested.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...choices-3.html
Old 11-01-2010, 03:50 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 707 Likes on 316 Posts

LWF is next 4 me due to rotating mass reduction. It's a no brainer.
Steve Wong can re-map my chip for idle parameter so no stalling will occur. I know Tangi & JBH both love their's

Rich
Old 11-01-2010, 05:09 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost? How much did you get for your old box?

Thanks!

Never mind, just saw you already answered...

Anyone know how much it would be just to regear and get some stronger sycros?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:19 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by cohare
Anyone know how much it would be just to regear and get some stronger sycros?
About $1300 per gear (gearset, synchro and motorsports undergear bearing) plus labor. Most shops charge around 12-15 hours to rebuild it, plus R&R if you don't bring them the box already out of the car.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 PM
cohare
Racer

Originally Posted by GTgears
About $1300 per gear (gearset, synchro and motorsports undergear bearing) plus labor. Most shops charge around 12-15 hours to rebuild it, plus R&R if you don't bring them the box already out of the car.
GTgears - So on a typical regear do you mainly do 1-5? So we are still talking close to 10k huh? 6500 for 5 gears, 1500 for rebuild and 1500 for R&R?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by cohare
GTgears - So on a typical regear do you mainly do 1-5? So we are still talking close to 10k huh? 6500 for 5 gears, 1500 for rebuild and 1500 for R&R?
Based on what I know, it usually 3 or maybe 4 gears. For most boxes 1 and 2 are fixed to the shaft (early '95s have only the first gear fixed) so they are left alone unless you want to spend more money yet. 5 can be moved to 6 so that leaves changing 3, 4 and 5. There may be some other wear parts to deal with too. Adding or rebuilding the LSD would add more. Its just one of those things that you won't know exactly until the box is in pieces.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:20 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Forgive my ignorance but how do the G50/31 ratios compare to what most people have done in changing 3 or 4 gears? I like the idea of lower cost and a warranty, but I really want to address the issue of dropping out of power band - especially the huge gap from 2 to 3. Spending $9K on regearing may or may not be a more cost effective solution than adding power with say a used TPC supercharger and intercooler?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:49 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
Forgive my ignorance but how do the G50/31 ratios compare to what most people have done in changing 3 or 4 gears? I like the idea of lower cost and a warranty, but I really want to address the issue of dropping out of power band - especially the huge gap from 2 to 3. Spending $9K on regearing may or may not be a more cost effective solution than adding power with say a used TPC supercharger and intercooler?
Search for Bill Verberg and g50/31. Bill has posted a gear ratio chart several times. You can also find this information in the factory workshop manuals.

The g50/31 has a relatively tall first and tight spacing for all 6 ratios. There are no annoying gaps. 6th gear becomes usable. It also comes with a lot of neat parts like steel synchos and a Porsche Motorsport LSD.

I'm sure a supercharger would help mask the screwy stock gearing. I'm just not a fan of forced induction in these cars.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
I seem to be the only one who has had problems on this one. Its probably just me not following a proper procedure. All this would be much easier engine out. When I think about it, its not alot more work to drop the whole engine out and it probably wouldn't have taken any more time. Perhaps this is why many shops insist on doing this.

You're supposed to tape the fork to the pressure plate to hold it in place. I leave some sticking out the top so I can grab it to extract the tape. If you tape it too well its impossible to get it off. If its too loose the fork could fall down before you can get the gbx on. Once the gbx is almost face to face with the engine, you have to pull the fork off of the pp towards the front and up a bit to get the shaft through. I reached down through the slave hole and upper inspection hole with my fingers to lift the fork up. If you lift it too much it comes out of the TO bearing and you get to start all over again. If I had a better spotter or spotting system for watching through the shaft access hole it might have gone smoother. My arms hurt just thinking about it now.
Thanks for the additional tips. I'll be dropping my engine though. (It's nice to have a Bend-Pak scissor lift...)
Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
cohare
Racer

Originally Posted by matt777
Based on what I know, it usually 3 or maybe 4 gears. For most boxes 1 and 2 are fixed to the shaft (early '95s have only the first gear fixed) so they are left alone unless you want to spend more money yet. 5 can be moved to 6 so that leaves changing 3, 4 and 5. There may be some other wear parts to deal with too. Adding or rebuilding the LSD would add more. Its just one of those things that you won't know exactly until the box is in pieces.
good to know, no matter which way you look at it certianly not an inexpensive proposition. Its a tough call since I do have an LSD but, I would think if I was to go this route you might as well rebuild and/or improve it while you are in there.

Search for Bill Verberg and g50/31. Bill has posted a gear ratio chart several times. You can also find this information in the factory workshop manuals.

The g50/31 has a relatively tall first and tight spacing for all 6 ratios. There are no annoying gaps. 6th gear becomes usable. It also comes with a lot of neat parts like steel synchos and a Porsche Motorsport LSD.

I'm sure a supercharger would help mask the screwy stock gearing. I'm just not a fan of forced induction in these cars.

Interesting, i didnt know the g50/31 had steel syncros, thats a def bonus. Is that what you went with, or did you go custom?

I am afraid of the forced induction, although it has proved reliable, I feel like with my luck it would screw something up and I would be out another 15k fixing it. Not to mention the tranny is going to have to come out at some point for a new clutch, might as well investigate how much a better tranny would be.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good news eh!!!! Now I wish I had bought the trans instead of passing it on to you. I just picked up a LWF and clutch on ebay so that,s going in mine without altering the gearing. If they( LWF) don,t all rattle and the difference isn,t that obvious there is a chance I have one already as mine grabs revs easily. And I have found other stuff the PO didn,t know about ,like PSS9s

Quick Reply: New Regear and LWF