Sponsored by:

Running Magnesium BBS GT2 rims (E28's?) on the street

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:51 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Running Magnesium BBS GT2 rims (E28's?) on the street

I've got the opportunity to purchase some lightweight 18" BBS 3-piece GT2 rims. They are going on a car that's not tracked and only sees spirited road use.

The rim halves are spun aluminum and the centers, according to BBS, are magnesium. I've done some extensive reading and have come across conflicting opinion regarding their street worthiness. Some are running without issues but suggest extra vigilance including regular checks for cracks and fractures, others say race track only.

Whats the forum consensus regarding this material for street use? I really want these on my car but not if they might be trashed.

Last edited by CorrdoBrit; 10-26-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Craig at BBS USA has told me himself the lip thickness on the track wheels barrels are thinner than "standard" BBS wheels, and that they are likely more prone to bend when subjected to street conditions.

Can you use them on the street? Sure, just keep in mind that there is a greater chance you'll be sending them in to have lips replaced.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

So the issue has more to do with the lip thickness and its resistance to potholes, expansion strips etc, than it is the brittleness of the magnesium centers? Is it true there are 2 different thicknesses available for use on the E-series wheel halves?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:52 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use mine only on the track.

The magnesium centers will crack when subject to abuse. Part of my post track day ritual is to remove the wheels and wash them and look for cracks in the centers. So far, have only found one.

Magnesium also reacts with water and oxidizes pretty quickly.

Yes, the rim halves are available in two thicknesses. The rim halves are replaceable which is nice. (been there...)

If you like the style, see if you can't find a set of the e88 alu center wheels.

Pete

Quick Reply: Running Magnesium BBS GT2 rims (E28's?) on the street