Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight switch removal/replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:09 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Headlight switch removal/replacement?

I cant find any answers when I search so this piece either never breaks (doubt it) or now one seems to have replaced it themselves (and lived to tell about it and share the knowledge!!).

When I turn on my HID's, occasionally one side or the other doesnt immediately fire up. When I switch the **** off then on again, usually it fires up. Since it can be either the right or left side headlight and it does eventually turn on after switching it off then on again, I think it is the switch.

Has anyone replaced this or know where I can find out how to do it?

Many thanks
Old 10-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had similar symptoms!

I changed to HID's and also put LED's in the driving lights. The LED driving lights and orange sidelights would work fine when the switch was turned to the first position, but when turned to the second position, the healights would come on but the passenger side driving lights would go out. The driver's side worked fine.

I also noticed that the headlight switch illumination bulb was out.

I also found that if I pushed in and out on the switch, the dash lights would flicker, and the driving lights would come on. I have now figured out how to get all of the lights to work by judicious wiggling. I am guessing there are some bad connections or that the switch is on its way out, and i will have to replace it eventually.

I pulled the switch **** off completely to replace the bulb. It just pulls straight off. Behind it, there is a locking washer with four holes in it. I am assuming that if you insert a tool into the holes it will unscrew and release the headlight switch, and you will be able to retrieve it from under the dash.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:17 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vern1. My HIDs do the same thing. I assumed (oops) that it was because of a less-than-stellar connection having to do with the lights & ballast where the unit plugs into the factory female connector. Let me know what you find out. TIA
Regards
PS: On mine, it is always the driver's side.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 AM
vern1
Drifting

i dont think it has anything to do with the HID connections since the sides that light up alternate. Guess I will have to just try and unscrew the washer and see what i find out
Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 AM
TX Silver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unscrew the washer and the switch will push out behind the dash. I think I remember unbolting a relay or something under the dash to have easier access to the switch.

The whole process took about 15 minutes. The most difficult part was stretching my back to get the cramp out because of the way I was contorted.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:53 PM
vern1
Drifting

Default Source for headlight switch?

Resurrecting my old thread.

Anyone know where to order the headlight switch assembly? I checked Pelican and could not find it.

I still have intermittent headlight power so am going to replace the switch.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like bad contacts on the switch. 2 places that could be: interior to the switch or the connectors on the wires on the back. You can pull off the back connectors and rough up the connector surface to remove oxidation. Two easy ways: give a fine-grit sandpaper hit to the connector surfaces (or use an old school, wooden pencil eraser) or just push the connector off/on/off/on/off/on to scratch through the oxidation. If its internal to the switch, TV tuner cleaner is worth a shot, IF you can get the spay inside the switch housing.

I often find that one of these 2 methods fixes "faulty" switches. The above technique is worth a shot first, before ordering a new switch.

(Thanks for reminding me....the Civic's dash lights are requiring a "Fonzie" occasionally, so I need to do this treatment to the dash dimmer switch.)
Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Anyone know where to order the headlight switch assembly? I checked Pelican and could not find it.

I still have intermittent headlight power so am going to replace the switch.

Thanks
Autohausaz have them, but at close to dealer MSRP. Try Sunset Porsche, I think their prices will be similar to this:

Item Number 993 613 531 00
MSRP $73.84
Core Price $0.00
Price $49.93
Electrical - Chassis electrical - Switches - Headlamp switch
Old 03-21-2011, 09:06 PM
vern1
Drifting

Guys thanks for the info. When I rotate the switch it turns well past the 2 clicks it should go ie keeps turning either past the Off position and past the On position. Tried wiggling it agian today but no dice. Just put a new HID ballast in it yesterday and it worked all yesterday but not today alas.

I will check the price at the dealer. Given I am in Toronto, after shipping and duty it may not be much cheaper ordering from the US

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Headlight switch removal/replacement?