Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a 97 Targa for $20k

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Thoughts on a 97 Targa for $20k

Yeah, I know, if it's too good to be true it usually is....

Anyway, I have decided to just get another 993 while I wait for the title issues to get resolved on my 95C4 Cab. Seems like the courts just take forever for a declaratory judgement. Even with paperwork they have to get new letters from the other parties involved.

So I have an offer for a CA 1997 Targa with a Tiptronic and 115k on the clock, fully loaded. Has not had a PPI yet. $20k seems like a decent price but KBB was even lower. The car is Arena Red with Grey interior with MOTOR SOUND PACKAGE, ONBOARD COMPUTER, FULL 8 WAY POWER AND SUPPLE LEATHER HEATED SEATS KDNX5000 STEREO,CD,DVD, NAVIGATION, POWER TONE EXHAUST & MUFFLERS 300+ horsepower, REAR WIPER, TINTED WINDOWS, HID HEADLIGHTS, FRONT STRUT BRACE for Superior Strength & Stiffness, High Flow Intake Tube and Conical (K & N ) Filter, 8-WAY POWER HEATED SEATS, TARGA STAINLESS DOOR SILLS, ALL BOOKS, TWO KEYS, TOOLS, SPARE, MAJOR SERVICE COMPLETED.

So KBB gives a private value BLUE BOOK® PRIVATE PARTY VALUE

Excellent $21,720
Good $20,670
Fair $18,820

I still am unsure if I will be happy with another Targa so at this price should I just do it to quote NIke? I'll still have the cab and once the title is in my name I will decide if I should keep it or sell it. Be kind of fun to have to decide of to drive a Targa or Cab but I may offer the seller $17750 due to mileage. I've read about the Targa top issues, but they seem to be more 1996 related than 1997. Seller is motivated because he just found a 993TT he really wants. Thoughts on this car?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not wild about the non OEM mods...

I can't believe the valuation is that low, I haven't followed prices lately I suppose.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:22 PM
ggg1ggg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't KBB always lower than market for our cars, especially the high-mileage ones? I remember that thread about Edmunds raising their valuations a bit for 993s, not sure if KBB are any more reasonable.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

IMHO, it is just a fair price. Get a PPI then go from there.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:15 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
Yeah, I know, if it's too good to be true it usually is....
POWER TONE EXHAUST & MUFFLERS 300+ horsepower,
High Flow Intake Tube and Conical (K & N ) Filter,
KBB is useless to you as a guide. See the top sticky forum post pricing guide:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...y-pinslys.html

My BS meter is going off on the 300+ HP a little. Surely that's not a "at the wheels" number (which would seem to be total BS), so then that is only 6.3% above the stock 282 quote (not so bad, but how did they calculate back from the wheels?).

There's another ArenaRed for $24K with 6spd for sale here on RL. Slightly higher mileage, but well known prior owner.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-for-sale.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...nal-price.html
Old 10-15-2010, 09:23 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

POWER TONE EXHAUST & MUFFLERS 300+ horsepower
Dont you just love dealerships that know nothing................
Old 10-16-2010, 03:33 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Craig,

Looks like a good deal, but it is a kinda weird setup. Euro taillights and side markers, US front Turbo bumper and a snorkel third brake light. Have you run a carfax to check for any accident damage?

Still looks really clean though, I love the look of Targa's.

Either way good luck with it or getting your cab on the road.

Originally Posted by kjr914
My BS meter is going off on the 300+ HP a little. Surely that's not a "at the wheels" number (which would seem to be total BS), so then that is only 6.3% above the stock 282 quote (not so bad, but how did they calculate back from the wheels?).
Originally Posted by 944/951guy
Dont you just love dealerships that know nothing................
Looks like the car was/is owned by the exhaust company. What a suprise on the HP claims.

http://powertone.com/Gallery/Porsche

If you look at the contact us page you will see a picture of their "shop" with the 993 in Cali at the shop for sale.

Could be the funniest claims I have ever heard on their website about the mufflers:

The PowerTone Tornado Vortex Muffler (U.S. Pat # 7,331,422) converts the heat and sound energy from the engine's exhaust into propulsion you feel every time you touch the gas pedal.

By allowing the hot exhaust gases to expand and then hit the specially placed fan blades, a vortex (the tip of a tornado) is created in a small pinch zone at the exit of the muffler. This increases the volume and speed at the outlet and since every action has an equal and opposite reaction, a low pressure zone or vacuum is created at the inlet. The low pressure works its way upstream, relieving backpressure. Not only will efficiency be increased, you will also save money at the gas pump and on repair bills.

Your engine no longer acts as a braking force due to backpressure relief. Once you attain a speed of 30 mph or more, you can remove your foot from the gas pedal and your vehicle will glide. We refer to this as "The Rolling Dynamic"; weight already in motion will continue until you apply the brakes. The scavanging effect that is created by the muffler also helps your automatic transmission upshift sooner, helping you get better gas mileage.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:14 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Well it makes sence to me......... You buy there exhaust....... and your car pretty much becomes Jet powered..... Whats there that you dont understand or find funny?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:29 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I actually went to the patent site and looked at their invention pics. The heart of the muffler looks like those cheap tail pipe inserts that will make the car sound like it's got a turbo, kind of like the Toyota Sienna minivan.
On the other hand, if the little vanes would spin, one could make a jetski out of it too.
It was great entertainment for about 3 minutes.
Ed
Old 10-17-2010, 08:53 AM
craig001
Drifting

Thanks for the link to the Powertone site. Those perforated internal liners remind me of motorcyle aftermarket set-ups. So it looks like this guy bought the car from them, got it here to StL then found a 993TT for sale. Can't say I blame him there though.

Seller claims a clean CarFax - will run that after seeing the car as well. The radio is a negative but it will all hinge if I get a rise in pulse rate when I see the car or not. When I went get something out of the 95 it was very depressing. Battery was flat so I could not evern start it and I forgot to put the car cover on it - 2+ years of dust. Heavy sigh.

So if I can hook-up with this guy and see the car in person I will decide wheather or not to move to the PPI step at either Reid-Vann or with Kent at German Aumotive. Got a couple exams this week and some other inqueries out on other cars - so I will wait and see... might be moving to a 2006 'vette ragtop in Lemans Blue, ummmm or an SL55 (not so ummm).

If that happens there will be a whole lot of parts for 993's, 964's and 944's on Fleabay or Pelican. Those rims and tires will go up for sale if I get this ride since I have a set of Targa rims with p-zeros on them waiting to be mounted up on another car. And I am not a fan of chromed rims on p-cars either. The Speedlines are reason enough to look at a Targa, IMHO.

Erik, did you get that last issue of Excellence that I snail-mailed you? I still have those GT3 seats getting dusty. LOL!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 PM
craig001
Drifting

Well I went and saw hte car. It's tired, shows the miles of life as a daily driver. So if somebody wants to pick up a 97 TipS Targa for $20k, there is one in Saint Louis. COuld use a respray, and door trim, a stock exhaust and possbily seats recovered. Then when I fired it up I knew I'd be a eunach once the wife heard it. Loud, too loud for me and especially the better half. That power tone set-up is loud. The engine sounded very smooth, started right up with no smoke. MIssing centercaps as well. I offered $15k explaining that ie needed $5k of loving. Exhaust, repaint, maybe new seats. Dark gray, with the usual cracking from heat and sun. BUt then it does have 115k miles on it so maybe I expected too much. Then again, maybe I'm just a droptop guy these days. Thanks for the cmments though,
Old 10-17-2010, 09:02 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Erik, did you get that last issue of Excellence that I snail-mailed you? I still have those GT3 seats getting dusty. LOL!

Sure did Thanks! Just what I needed was more Porsche reading material And I can't even think about seats yet (well I can think just can't buy right now)

Well I went and saw hte car. It's tired, shows the miles of life as a daily driver. So if somebody wants to pick up a 97 TipS Targa for $20k, there is one in Saint Louis. COuld use a respray, and door trim, a stock exhaust and possbily seats recovered. Then when I fired it up I knew I'd be a eunach once the wife heard it. Loud, too loud for me and especially the better half. That power tone set-up is loud. The engine sounded very smooth, started right up with no smoke. MIssing centercaps as well. I offered $15k explaining that ie needed $5k of loving. Exhaust, repaint, maybe new seats. Dark gray, with the usual cracking from heat and sun. BUt then it does have 115k miles on it so maybe I expected too much. Then again, maybe I'm just a droptop guy these days. Thanks for the cmments though,
Too bad it isn't going to work out, still sounds like a good deal if someone wants a Targa Tip.

Now you'll just have to get that green thing on the road quicker!

Hope to see you around town
Old 10-24-2010, 10:47 AM
craig001
Drifting

This car is now listed on the Chicago craigslist for $24500. THe mother told me that that is where her son and his wife live. Why it was in St. Louis is beyond me. Anyway, after I offered $15000 he told me that he was driving it back out to California where a dealer in San Diego had offered $23000. I also contacted Allan at PowerTone who told me that the car was solid, been serviced and had his patented exhaust with sport cats. All I can tell you is that the paint shows as a daily driver and the car is loud, very loud, but sounds smooth. It was so loud I did not look much deeper into the car. Anyway, if you are up near the Windy City he will take $20000.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a 97 Targa for $20k