Sponsored by:

Tow hooks

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Tow hooks

For those that do a lot of track events, at what point did you install tow hooks (if at all)?

Not sure what's worse - the racer look and bruised shins, or needing a tow and not being ready as the tow driver hooks up to your wheel or suspension?

Thoughts? Any models you prefer?

Thanks for sharing.

Matt
Old 10-11-2010, 12:26 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

I had the OEM ones permanently on my RSA. Didn't hurt too much, only hit my leg a handful of times If you get the 986/996 tow hook for the front it won't protrude as much - it's about an inch smaller IIRC. You still need the 964/993 for the rear though.

You can also get the folding ones from Rennline or one of the other vendors.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:02 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I put the folding Rennline one on my car after cratering my shins a bunch of times.

Marc
Old 10-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 395 Posts

I have a folding one in front and the stock one mounted in back, both are permanently mounted
Old 10-11-2010, 12:25 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Rennline folding in front and Rennline rear. added them after seeing a car die on the track and keep everyone from racing for 30 minutes while they were trying to get the car off the track.
I don't want to be THAT guy.....
Old 10-11-2010, 12:29 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
For those that do a lot of track events, at what point did you install tow hooks (if at all)?

Not sure what's worse - the racer look and bruised shins, or needing a tow and not being ready as the tow driver hooks up to your wheel or suspension?

Thoughts? Any models you prefer?

Thanks for sharing.

Matt
i just use the one in my tool bag
install day of event, remove after event.
i may change my mind 1st time i smash my shins.

but i'm not sure i like the look of tow hook on the street, (says the guy with the RSCS wing.................).

Craig
Old 10-11-2010, 12:30 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by mcipseric
Rennline folding in front and Rennline rear. added them after seeing a car die on the track and keep everyone from racing for 30 minutes while they were trying to get the car off the track.
I don't want to be THAT guy.....
eric, did you complete the KW V3 install?
If so, i'd like to chat.

Craig
Old 10-11-2010, 12:44 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
eric, did you complete the KW V3 install?
If so, i'd like to chat.

Craig
PM sent
Old 10-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile As Bill writes...

"I have a folding one in front and the stock one mounted in back, both are permanently mounted."

I used a hole saw to drill a whole through my rear license plate, this allows the rear tow hook to always be installed, street of track. Make a cardboard template 1st...don't want to drill more than 1 hole through the license plate.

Rennline makes some incredible products. I have their folding one....purchased after I whacked my shin for about the 3rd time.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

You should have a tow hook on your car even if you're a green group driver. If you get stuck in a gravel trap and need to be yanked out, having a tow hook will 1) make the tow driver's job easier, 2) prevent your car's suspension or bumper from getting damaged by from an incorrect tow point and 3) make you a bit more popular with your fellow drivers since the less time it takes to extricate your car, the more time they have to drive their sessions. Also, I guess I've been lucky, but I've never banged my leg against my protruding factory tow hooks.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default It's not a matter of if, its a matter of...

when. You will eventually do a shin implant on that front tow hook, and it smarts.

"Also, I guess I've been lucky, but I've never banged my leg against my protruding factory tow hooks."

I too was luck for a long time and then one day, while think about something else, wham, shin impacts tow hook. The following week, got my folding Rennline front tow hook. My shins are very pleased I made the conversion.

The Rennline products appear to be are out of a CNC (Computerized Numerical Control) CAD shop, stainless steel and ultra high quality, from my perspective.

And has been said, the tow hooks are invaluable WHEN you need them, save so much potential hassle.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Tow hook???
Did you upgrade to the motorhome, trailer and cup car without telling me?
Have room for a set of wheels and tires?
Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Another option for folding tow hooks are the ones that Tony of TC Design makes:

http://www.tcdesignfab.com/products/towhook_set.php

Cheaper for an entire set and looks well made (like everything that comes out of Tony's shop).
Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I had the OEM ones permanently on my RSA. Didn't hurt too much, only hit my leg a handful of times If you get the 986/996 tow hook for the front it won't protrude as much - it's about an inch smaller IIRC. You still need the 964/993 for the rear though.

You can also get the folding ones from Rennline or one of the other vendors.
Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I put the folding Rennline one on my car after cratering my shins a bunch of times.

Marc
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I have a folding one in front and the stock one mounted in back, both are permanently mounted
Thanks guys - I can completely foresee bumping into a protruding front hook. In fact, I could see my buddies and other cars doing the same in the paddock...

Originally Posted by Martin S.
"I have a folding one in front and the stock one mounted in back, both are permanently mounted."

I used a hole saw to drill a whole through my rear license plate, this allows the rear tow hook to always be installed, street of track. Make a cardboard template 1st...don't want to drill more than 1 hole through the license plate.

Rennline makes some incredible products. I have their folding one....purchased after I whacked my shin for about the 3rd time.
Good technique, thanks.

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
You should have a tow hook on your car even if you're a green group driver. If you get stuck in a gravel trap and need to be yanked out, having a tow hook will 1) make the tow driver's job easier, 2) prevent your car's suspension or bumper from getting damaged by from an incorrect tow point and 3) make you a bit more popular with your fellow drivers since the less time it takes to extricate your car, the more time they have to drive their sessions. Also, I guess I've been lucky, but I've never banged my leg against my protruding factory tow hooks.
I agree. I've spun twice since I started DE. Not looking to make it a habit, but better to anticipate than be sorry.

Originally Posted by Dwane
Tow hook???
Did you upgrade to the motorhome, trailer and cup car without telling me?
Have room for a set of wheels and tires?
You didn't get the memo?

Old 10-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
when. You will eventually do a shin implant on that front tow hook, and it smarts.

"Also, I guess I've been lucky, but I've never banged my leg against my protruding factory tow hooks."

I too was luck for a long time and then one day, while think about something else, wham, shin impacts tow hook. The following week, got my folding Rennline front tow hook. My shins are very pleased I made the conversion.

Understood, but I've been tracking my car for eight years, going on nine (WTF, why hasn't McLaren called??), and I've never banged my leg. Wait, I just jinxed myself!

Quick Reply: Tow hooks