Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rip in convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010 | 09:46 PM
palmettonative
Intermediate

Default rip in convertible top

I took the 993 for a trip up the blue ridge parkway this weekend. What a gorgeous drive- about 700 miles total- 190 miles on the parkway! Put the top up and down a few times, and noticed today there is a tear about 3 inches long
towards the driverside canvas near the metal frame on the exterior of the top.
Just wear and tear and a 15 year old top, but the remainder of the top is near perfect.

Sure, I know it's ideal to replace it, but are there any other patch kits that will get me by for a year or so? Already did the 30k service, valve covers, new tires and battery, as well as window switches that crapped out. Overall a great car, but as time passes the little things add up.

Thanks for any advice!!

Scott
Old 10-04-2010 | 09:07 PM
palmettonative
Intermediate

bump
Old 10-04-2010 | 09:52 PM
Priceless
Racer

sorry to hear about that. i had a couple of VERY small "puncture" or "wear" holes on the passenger side in the usual location. i took it to my local top guy and he looked at it, went inside and came back with some products and 5 minutes later he had patched the underside and put some type of black glue/bond (same color as my top) on the outer side. looks fine until i decide to replace top which is otherwise perfect. it is noticeable but much less than the small freying that was there before. plus, he said this WON'T LEAK water : ) not sure if you have a 3" cut...but worth a try. my guy didn't charge me...he knows i will be shelling out some cash to him in the future if you are near tulsa, pm me and i will give you the info.
Old 10-04-2010 | 11:22 PM
palmettonative
Intermediate

the hole isn't 3 inchs in diameter, it's about 3 inches long. Really it's frayed on the edges and the center is open if you spread it...but the "wound edges" I can approximate to make it flush...therefore I am hoping a patch will work! There are a few top shops here in charleston that may be able to help!

Scott
Old 10-06-2010 | 08:05 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Either go to an upholstery shop to have it fixed or do it yourself, because it is quite easy:

Get some sample canvas from GAHH. If you ask nice by email you should get it for free. Cut a patch and glue it from the INSIDE of the top with some good automotive glue that is flexible. I have done it on 3 spots and it will get at least 10 more years out of my now 14 year old top.

Here is a pic that shows one patch at the bottom of the pic about in the middle:

Quick Reply: rip in convertible top