Sponsored by:

What do you need a turbo for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts
Default What do you need a turbo for?

Just to prove you don't need a turbo to do aproper powerslide with semislicks, a 286hp Carrera 2 is enough. All you need is a little driver mistake and you can be drifter for a moment...

Found these on the net, someone was taking photos yesterday when I attended a BMW Club track day with some friends.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who among us hasn't gotten the rear end loose in a turn on the track at least once, especially with street rubber?
Old 10-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Who among us hasn't gotten the rear end loose in a turn on the track at least once, especially with street rubber?
My rear end gets loose all the time, but of course I try to avoid it as much as possible. The car is allways a little loose trough the corners but sometimes I'm correcting too slow or late and that's when the rear steps out.
The photos were from a corner coming out in 3rd gear and I thought it was nice that I could powerslide trough the entire 3rd gear. that doesn't happen very often with the R888's.
BTW, I wouldn't speak about street tires. The R888's grip very close to Hoosier R6s.
The R888's are also horrible on the street, noisy as hell and tricky in the rain. Not a proper street tire IMHO.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:56 PM
arcteryxbird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pics Juha!

I have always wondered how far I could take a slide before it bites my head off, luckily that hasen't happened yet!
Although I have heard from fellow RL'ers that these cars will act proper in a certain turn , but the next lap ..... crash!! Same gear, speed, and line ? what gives?
Old 10-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arcteryxbird
Nice pics Juha!

I have always wondered how far I could take a slide before it bites my head off, luckily that hasen't happened yet!
Although I have heard from fellow RL'ers that these cars will act proper in a certain turn , but the next lap ..... crash!! Same gear, speed, and line ? what gives?
I think the 993 is quite easy to slide. It just that you need to make the corrections quickly and accurately and most importantly you have to catch a slide with the first correction. If you let the rear slap to the other side...game over!! It is the momentum of the heavy engine in the rear that will bite you.
My car is setup quite neutral so it is very easy to rotate and correct.

I also race a BMW and I have to admit that the BMW is much more easier to drive at the limit than my 993.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, nice opposite lock there.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:59 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would love to have seen this one - shot from the front:

Regardless, fantastic shots!

Quick Reply: What do you need a turbo for?