Sponsored by:

All Weather/Winter tire recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC3
It doesn't snow that often here; I'm mainly concerned about cold and rain.
wishing ^ for next year...
Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
I hav never really had snow tires, per se, but have run Mich Pilot Sport A/S on my 968 and they do great in rain and what little snow we see here as well as lasting forever.
That's what I have on my 993. Super in the rain, just incredible!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

My 993 is a year-round DD running 18" Pilot Sports for 7-8 months of the year. When I got the car seven years ago, I found 17" aftermarket turbo-style wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin tires (-1 combination so overall diameter is similar to the 18s). The PO put 500 miles on them. I've used them every season since and kept the car parked only 3-4 days over those years because of really deep snow. It's fun motoring past someone in a Honda who "forgot" that front wheel drive doesn't work well in snow when the tires have little or no tread. Unfortunately, Michelin has stopped making Alpins in the rear size (255/40R17)

They're not especially noisy. I can't recall how many miles are on these tires but they've run eight seasons. The rears are wearing down and I plan to replace all four in the next few weeks. As others have mentioned, the benefit of tires like this is not just in snow. They are a softer compound, which is critical in colder temps. IIRC, summer tires can lose 30-40% of their traction in cold temps, even when it's dry.

Last edited by JimPA; 10-02-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: correct/update
Old 09-29-2010, 05:36 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The best all season still won't as good as the worst snow tire will be when the weather is snowy and slippery. Especially when the temps. get very cold.

Please call me if I can help. We're the snow tire gurus!

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:07 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 204 Posts

Shameless plug I know, but I have a set for sale here if anyone's interested: https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...ody-911-a.html
Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 AM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of Micheline Alpine PS3 and they are fine for daily driving in the winter months in the DC area. They are more performance with winter rubber compound. I think of them as tires to get to cleared roads. I have also had Hankook Icebear tires on a Neon SRT-4 and they were unstoppable! No comparison between the two - one was for street performance and one was for snow performance.

When the Michelines wear out, I will most likely seek out more snow performance, but, I can comfortably put the Michelines on right after the last autocross of the season and not feel that I am doing wrong by the car or tire.

Bob
Old 09-30-2010, 01:09 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set of the new Blizzak WS70's for my Audi but don't know how they will do. I'm a big believer in winter tires since I started using them 6 or 7 years ago after driving in the winters here for 25 years on just A/S tires. Once you try them you won't go back. Alot of people get away with A/X tires around here but they are a big compromise. I like to think that with 2 sets of tires my summers will just last a lot longer so I'm not really spending any more money. The other potential concern with the wider tires on a Porsche is all that extra rubber on the road which will further diminish performance in the snow.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 PM
vaujot
Instructor

I used Nokian WR G2 last winter and would recommend them. Not sure they are available in your sizes, though.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Rule:

All season tires suck in all seasons. Buy true winter tires.
I would disagree with that. I run Mich Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my 993 and the M3 just for the reason I don't want to change them out every time it gets cold, or worse cold & wet. They have great summer traction/performance but are NOT track tires. I have a set of summer tire/wheels for when I get to DE (not enough unfortunately).

Edit: I am not a slow/easy going driver in any of my cars and I drive even more aggressively in the 993 (ask Mike (Arena993)). I don't baby these tires on the 993.

I have driven in light snow w/ the Mich's but since we don't get much of it here having a dedicated winter tire is a little overboard. If we get any significant snow like last year I use the Cayenne w/ Yoko A/S on it, and it worked great.

If you're in a climate that gets regular snow then yes, have a set of snow tires but for those of us in the southern states it's a bit of overkill.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 10-01-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Wife uses Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on allroad all year round and have no problems in rain or moderate snow.

Quick Reply: All Weather/Winter tire recommendation?