Sponsored by:

Walrod bushings/lower ball joint removal advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Walrod bushings/lower ball joint removal advice

Thanks for any assistance in advance. I was planning to replace my lower control arm bushings with Chris Walrod's bushing tommorow. I prepared the car earlier this week and reviewed several things tonight. While I'm doing this I am also replacing the lower ball joints, the have 98k on them. I just put a new steering rack in the car and have yet to re-install the tie rods. Can I get some advice on removing the ball joints? It seem very tight and I'm hoping for some advice before spending more time than I'd like finding my own way! All advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:28 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need a tool to remove the tapered ball stud. Cheapest way is with a "pickle fork" and hammer. The fasteners will be very tight . Mark the eccentric caster adjusters before removal so you can keep your algnment close. You should still get an alignment after bushings,ball joints and rack are replaced.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

"You will need a tool to remove the tapered ball stud. Cheapest way is with a "pickle fork" and hammer. The fasteners will be very tight . Mark the eccentric caster adjusters before removal so you can keep your algnment close. You should still get an alignment after bushings,ball joints and rack are replaced."

Thanks for that, i've got that covered and will get an alignment when all is said and done. Getting a wrench on the ball joint nut seems pretty tough. Not much room to get a wrench, socket, etc... in there. Any advice as to how to get that bolt off?
Old 09-26-2010, 02:02 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah, that ball joint nut can be tough to get at. Use a closed end box wrench for that, then use the pickle fork.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chris, I hope this goes as planned! I'm really concerned the ball joint will be a bear. Not a lot of room to get around in there!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Everything came off without a hitch! Liberal use of penetrating oil for the last week must have helped as the only trouble came from the driver's side ball joint which did not want to leave the party. Now that the control arms are off, any suggestings on how best to clean them up before I make the repairs? Cleaners, wire wheel, solvents, ?????
Old 09-27-2010, 04:12 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelc
Now that the control arms are off, any suggestings on how best to clean them up before I make the repairs? Cleaners, wire wheel, solvents, ?????
My bead-blasting cabinet?

Seriously, that has worked great for me on numerous control arms and other 993 suspension components.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Walrod bushings/lower ball joint removal advice