Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

110,000 miles - Which bushings should I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 09:03 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 110,000 miles - Which bushings should I replace?

Some of you may remember my previous suspension thread where I wanted to get a bit of mileage and track time on my (new to me) 993 before I started swapping suspension bits.

Well, the car has developed a slight wobble in the steering wheel and I have to assume the very old control arm bushings in the front are the culprit. I was planning on replacing those along with the rear control arm bushings. I want to stick with Walrod's units in the front but wondered who should I go with for the back? Elephant Racing?

What other bushings would I want to replace while I'm swapping a number of other suspension components? Sway bar bushings?

As of now, I have H&R springs and HDs which look fantastic but I don't think there is enough suspension travel for the car and felt like the car was bottoming out in the rear in hard cornering. I'm planning on replacing them with M030 ROW and Koni Yellows. I may be losing some spring rate but I'm picking up travel. While I'm replacing everything, I'm going to go with the 22mm/20mm M030 sway bars.

Anything else I should be considering while I'm refreshing the suspension?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:53 AM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a search on replacing bushings, and this thread was top of the list with some good questions; surprised no one had an opinion or info to share. Anyone?
Old 12-15-2010, 10:17 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marco8
Did a search on replacing bushings, and this thread was top of the list with some good questions; surprised no one had an opinion or info to share. Anyone?
Thanks for the bump. I ended up ordering the Walrod control arm bushings and a fresh set of sway bar bushings. I almost ordered the RS engine mount and rear control arm bushings but didn't deem it necessary.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 AM
tonypai
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the Walrod bushings for the front and the ER bushings for the rear. Haven't put them on yet. I did the Wevo engine mounts earlier this year.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:52 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tonypai
I ordered the Walrod bushings for the front and the ER bushings for the rear. Haven't put them on yet. I did the Wevo engine mounts earlier this year.
Did you notice any difference with the engine mounts?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 PM
tonypai
Racer

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Did you notice any difference with the engine mounts?
Absolutely. I had a 1-2 shift clunk that went away after installing the engine mounts.

I didn't feel any increased noise or vibration with the engine mounts. But others have complained so, you may want to go for a ride in one before choosing RS, Wevo or OEM engine mounts.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:28 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Absolutely. I had a 1-2 shift clunk that went away after installing the engine mounts.

I didn't feel any increased noise or vibration with the engine mounts. But others have complained so, you may want to go for a ride in one before choosing RS, Wevo or OEM engine mounts.
I'm largely unconcerned with additional noise and vibration. I just did a search and there seems to be a lot of conversation about reinforcing the carrier mount - did you do this or just install the mounts?

Also, did you choose the blue or black mounts?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:23 PM
tonypai
Racer

I'm largely unconcerned with additional noise and vibration. I just did a search and there seems to be a lot of conversation about reinforcing the carrier mount - did you do this or just install the mounts?

Also, did you choose the blue or black mounts?

Thanks for your help.
I went with the softer of the two, I believe the blue mounts. I didn't do any reinforcements, there isn't a need to reinforce the carrier mount unless you're going to track the car, at least that's what I've been told.

Happy to be of service.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:15 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

I went with the softer of the two, I believe the blue mounts. I didn't do any reinforcements, there isn't a need to reinforce the carrier mount unless you're going to track the car, at least that's what I've been told.

Happy to be of service.

Good luck with your choice.
Thanks, Tony. I do occasionally track the car but I do so on street tires so I imagine (or hope) that it's not going to be a huge stress. I've run the car before without the reinforced mounts so I'll roll the dice.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:17 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started doing track days back in May and got way addicted....so I decided to stiffen my car up a bit by adding the Walrod Bushings, MO30 bars and Wevo mounts also went with a track/street alignment. Made the car much stiffer and cornering, shifting and steering is much more precise.

I did question my wrench about the carrier reinforcement he said full race cars yes, DE/street car just deal with it if and when it becomes a problem.

I also had a minor shimmy of the steering wheel at 60 mph, we found one of my front tire/rim to be out of balance.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:54 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ironimages
I started doing track days back in May and got way addicted....so I decided to stiffen my car up a bit by adding the Walrod Bushings, MO30 bars and Wevo mounts also went with a track/street alignment. Made the car much stiffer and cornering, shifting and steering is much more precise.

I did question my wrench about the carrier reinforcement he said full race cars yes, DE/street car just deal with it if and when it becomes a problem.

I also had a minor shimmy of the steering wheel at 60 mph, we found one of my front tire/rim to be out of balance.
You're speaking my language, brother. Thanks. Ordering the black mounts now.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 185 Posts

You're speaking my language, brother. Thanks. Ordering the black mounts now.

welcome to the dark side, you have chosen wisely Ian.

Wait till you get all the new bits installed, you'll simply have to touch yourself while driving to believe it's the same car.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:32 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I would change the engine mounts for sure. As far as the rear bushings are concerned I changed all of mine for Elephant Racing sport hardness ones. My car had done 185k miles and actually when I removed the old ones they were all fine. The ball joints are getting worn though. The new ER bushes are a lot harder. The rose joint on the inner (long) arm of the rear wishbone had play and I did have to change both rear wishbones. The ER front control arm bushings are really good and I especially recommend them for the front arms.

Berni
Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

In the process of doing all this, I ended up going with monoball front control arm bushings and replaced the rear toe links.

I can't wait to get the car sorted but this is getting expensive...
Old 12-29-2010, 11:14 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

So the final count:

M030 springs (ROW)
M030 sway bars (front, rear, bushings)
Koni Yellow Sport Shocks (front and rear)
Fresh bump rubber
New dust boots
Wevo semi-solid engine mounts
Front monoball control arm bushings
Fresh rear toe links

RIP money

Quick Reply: 110,000 miles - Which bushings should I replace?