993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found a car, now I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Spidey 993

Default I found a car, now I need advice

I'm not stupid, but not far from it when knowing "how" to buy at 993.

I saw a 993 on Ebay, 1998 C2S, Silver/Black with 45k miles, asking 49,500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...ht_8114wt_1167

I call them up, he is a fast talker but seems extremely knowledgeable. He is
will to do a PPI or CPO, whatever I'm willing to pay for obviously.

My questions:

1. What is a fair price for this car? 42, 45, 47,50?

2. There are some imperfections on the car. A couple small scratches on front
and back. Do I have him fix, repaint these areas, or leave them alone to maintain integrity of the car?

3. Do I have a PPI done? How much do they normally cost? He is out of MI.

4. What are the costly items I am looking for in a 993? Clutch, engine, transmission...what are the common and $$$ gotchas?

5. Any other things I need to consider that my blinders are blocking me from seeing?

Thanks in advance for any feeback. This forum is a god send.

Regards -
Tony
Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Tony,

I can only address a few of your queries.

-$49,500 for a '98 C2S seems like it's overpriced in this current market. I have not kept up with the prices, so others will chime in, but I think the price for this car is closer to low $40's.

-Adjust the price according to the blemishes and have the work done yourself so that you can control the quality of the work.

-Definitely get a PPI at a source that has not regularly worked on the car (ask me how I know. Hint: Dougherty, you suck, you lying bastards.)

-Porsches are not cheap to maintain unless you have a very, very reasonable mechanic like I do. A clutch is a wear item so expect that to cost you around $2,500 or so if it's slipping.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:04 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So many variables here. But on face value...low 40's. I'd want to know about the accident which tends to reduce the desirability and therefore the price. All the mechanical questions can be answered in a good PPI. A Rennlister from the area can recommend someone and also possibly can do a Rennfax (go personally to check the car out, drive it, etc.).
Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

Tony, IMHO, if this is THE car you want, it's up to you to decide how much to offer. The dealer's "buy it now" is, IMHO, probably the very maximum of what the car is worth. The imperfections you find are the bargaining chips. I'd leave 'em alone and take care of them later by someone you know to be good. A PPI depends on who does it and their labor rate. A good PPI with thorough inspection, leakdown and comp. test will take 3-4 hrs. Get someone other than this dlr. to do it. The car is 1 of 993 '98 C2S brought to the U.S. All the items you list are "gotchas". That's what the PPI is for. This is an OBDII car and, if it's not up to snuff emissions-wise, it'll throw codes. It's an IMMOBILIZER car and it needs to be in proper working order.
If you want the car and they won't negotiate, and if passes the PPI, then you'll have to pull the trigger. If you want to take a chance that it won't get sold on eBay, let it expire, then go back at 'em to negotiate. Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:26 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will sell you mine and I live down the street from you. Mine is much less and it needs nothing!

I would get a PPI for sure no matter what car you buy. Pay for the leak down test and go see the car in person before you buy! I plane ticket is cheap insurance you are getting exactly what you want and gives you the chance to drive it.
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2010, 11:28 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went through this an agree with the above.... for sure get a PPI from a local shop that has experience with these cars and get a leakdown test as well. both ran about $300 for me from a local indy. I think low 40s is a good price for that car. As far as high dollar gotchas.. early valve wear is the big one ( a 6-9k top end required) but the leakdown test should give you an idea of engine condition. if all is well good luck... i love the wb cars!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 287 Posts

BEWARE OF AUTO EUROPE!!!!!! WARNING, WARNING!!!!!

Sorry to be so blatant, but they don't have a very good rep... PC1R can back me up here, right Maz?

I'm in the area, but it might be difficult for me to get there in the next week to perform a Rennfax due to travel.

I do not respect the owner of this facility & cringe every time I see a car on the road with one of their license plate surrounds!

Did I say, WARNING!!!!!!!?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ryano
As far as high dollar gotchas.. early valve wear is the big one ( a 6-9k top end required)
One thing worth noting here is that the cost of a top-end rebuild seems to be highly location dependent. In the SF Bay Area, 6-9K will probably get you a rebuild on maybe 3 of your 6 cylinders.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:51 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by larpy
Go see the car in person before you buy!
Exactly! I would never buy a car without driving it first, even if it gets a glowing PPI. And if you know anything about cars, you'll probably end up doing a better inspection.

I would line up a series of cars and take a road trip and see them all.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

A differing perspective. If someone wants to sell me their pristine low mileage (40ks or less) 98 C2S in a popular color combination for low 40s, please PM me. Even in this market, I havent seen them sell that low. I would say that this car is priced about right at $50k. Now, that assumes its pristine. Need PPI, etc. And if Nick /others say that there is bad history with this seller, well that is a whole different deal then. But in the ad/pictures, the car looks great. And if it WAS pristine, I would think $50k is a fair price for it.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:59 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8

I would line up a series of cars and take a road trip and see them all.

That is exactly what I did. I looked at three cars in one trip. Two in New York and one in Ct. I ended up finding one right here in Colorado which I now chuckle about. Seeing the other 3 cars in person was worth it! They each had issues that were not disclosed in the listings or on the phone when I talked to the dealerships.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:16 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car needs to be lowered and looks dead stock so factor this in. Just treat Ebay like an ad. I would approach this like any other potential car purchase. View it, drive it, make an offer subject to PPI if you want it and be prepared to walk if it needs alot. A second set of eyes wouldn't hurt either.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:18 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
But in the ad/pictures, the car looks great.
They usually do.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Spidey 993

Alright, always gotta start out saying thank you. Prior Army Officer, certain protocols must be followed

1. PPI is a must, even though it hurts to shell out the $$$, it could save me $$$$$$.
2. Drive it, spend the money on the plane ticket.
3. Price seems high I agree, but Jonathan has a great point, I haven't seen too many low-mid mileage for low 40's either...
4. I need more info on this dealership. I talked to Mark the sales manager. Like I said he was a fast talker but which car salesman isn't? Any additional info Nurburger, please let me know. I will fire up the google search engine.
5. Larpy - Would you put that thing away! I was licking my computer screen and wife walked in. That is one hot Cab. I'm looking for a coupe, but your car makes me question that. Side Q: How much?

I think I will slow down, make sure I check off all the boxes, and not let the emotions take over. I appreciate all the feedback.

- Tony
Old 09-10-2010, 12:21 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matt777
A second set of eyes wouldn't hurt either.
Wouldn't a network of Rennlisters all over the continent be nice.

Each would have to be the type to notice everything and write up a detailed report.

Quick Reply: I found a car, now I need advice