Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok I need some advice! Help frustrated!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:01 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ok I need some advice! Help frustrated!!!!!

Last year I had my fantastic mechanic in the states change my steering rack from a rebuilt on. That did not fix my hard steering problem. So he took that one and rebuilt himself. He used to work on G5 and up private jets. So Porsches are simple for him plus he is into racing. So just before I moved to Europe it was done but did not fix the problem. Then car wend on the boat to Sweden.
Now I just got Porsche to replace the steering pump and reservoir-flush the lines.
Surprise the problem still persists.
It drives fine but at low speeds it hisses at the steering wheel.(more right than left) Especially while parking. Does not matter which way you turn. I hate it as I want to make sharp turns at lower speeds and it feels like you are using manual instead of power assisted.
What else can I do to solve this problem? Is their something at the steering wheel that could be causing this/ hub ect.... Help Help!!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:26 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

I can't believe their is no one who can figure this out!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:31 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy I would ask this question to is Joel Reiser. If you're a PCA member he can be found on the website. He's usually very good at getting back to people.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Joel got back to me-still waiting on a response-He feels so far-it could be in the steering wheel-somewhere. Does anyone out their have a diagram of the steering wheel housing and or what part in that area could cause hissing when wheel is turned -plus make the steering go stiff??? Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:12 PM
user 70801213
Banned

bearing at the bottom of the steering column? there is a TSB for this I think.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:37 AM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Not to sound stupid but what is a TSB?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:48 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Technical Service Bulletin??
Old 09-08-2010, 04:03 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Thanks-At my last meeting with porsches top mechanic-His thought was----
Their is a short right angle hose coming from the steering pump.
Their is a flap inside that could be broken- (restricting flow of fluids)so it is suggested we replace that hose.
Some how it makes sense- it is 16 years old and this is is the only thing that has not been done to solve the problem.
Anyone have any thought on this. I think the part was no.16 in the euro catalogue at Porsche.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

I am pretty sure the problem is the rack, it might be to tight and possibly not centered.

Some days ago i found an old thread that you started and I asked you how the pump job had gone.
I feared that this would be the result

Dont know of any good shops in Sweden that could take a look at the rack for you but you should be able to find a ZF service shop somwhere in Sweden.
Since the problem started after you had the rack rebuilt I would it is causing the problem.

I rack that is to tight will make the steering heavy and a rack that is not centered will make it more heavy on one side than the other.

Does not make sense to me why it would be harder to turn in one direction if the pump was to blame.

Edit : just reread the 1 post and saw that the problem did not start when you changed the rack
Old 09-08-2010, 05:21 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Doesn't the caster allignment setting affect the steering weight? Happend to me when I had it wrong.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Ok so rack was replaced two times and rebuilt an extra time. Could it still be tight and off center. If so how easy is it to fix? Does it have to be removed to make adjustment?
Also do you all think this hose (leading from the pump to the rack) in question could be the culprit?
The rack originally never leaked-just had problems with the hard steering!
I would like to note-this all started before I upgraded the suspension-after- had no effect on the hardness.
I am scratching my head and it hurts!!!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Did I note -problem started before a rack was put in that was rebuilt! Been a long day!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Well, it can not get off center or to tight by it self.
The rack is centered when it is assembled. If you have the approx same amount of threads showing by the tie rods left and right all should be ok.

A (big) misalignment might different amount of threads to show L/R, but you would be aware if the car had been in some kind of an incident I guess.

Seems like you are about 2 1/2 hours drive from Autotuning in Norway (located near Rygge, www.autotuning.no , no affiliation)

I am quite sure they would sort this out, you could even try to call them and check if they have any ideas before, very nice guys.

The hissing sound indicates that there is a restrain somwhere, a restrain would also cause the steering to be heavy.
Are all the hoses looking good ?

You could always disassemble the steering shaft and the tie rods and then you could individually check the components.
Just dont turn the steering wheel to many rounds as you can ruin the clockspring.

hn :
The more caster you have the more heavy the steering will be, does not explain the sound though
Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Akerlie
hn :
The more caster you have the more heavy the steering will be, does not explain the sound though
I know. Since the thread didn't get many responses I thought "just in case". When I reinstalled the front arms way off, the first thing I noticed was heaviness of steering.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Shake
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe u should try disconnecting the steering column from the rack and see if its still hard to turn?

Quick Reply: Ok I need some advice! Help frustrated!!!!!