Sponsored by:

bonnet alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:12 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default bonnet alignment

I noticed my bonnet lid is not exactly centered. The gaps on either side of the quarter panels are not the same. It does look centered nearest to the windscreen but as it moves towards the front bumper cover the gaps on either side are not exact.
I messed with the locking mech awhile ago to allow room for the old school bra but wouldn't think it would affect the left-right alignment. Any thoughts?
I am a little hesitant loosening the hinge bolts because they don't look like they ever have been touched.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:07 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Is it functional or just aesthetic?
Old 09-05-2010, 05:33 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Just aesthetic.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:16 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

I'd try to look at it as part of my car's unique personality - its character.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:24 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible your hood is okay and you've just moved your latch. Which one did you adjust, the part attached to the hood or the catch release in the trunk? The one in the trunk will allow you to raise or lower the catch point and how hard it shuts, while the one on the hood is for adjusting left/right and fore/aft.

Adjusting the hood is fairly straightforward. Mark your current positions with a grease pencil so you have your ground zero. There are two bolts at each rear corner (up by the windshield) Undo them slowly so they still remain slightly snug to avoid too much movement. Might want to lay down a towel on the fender in case you drop a socket. Undo the other two not quite so much, then, standing on the side of the car by the mirror, gently bump the edge with the heal of your hand, this will give you a very slight lateral movement.

Adjust the catch at the front last, again using the two bolts that hold it to the hood. Shouldn't need to adjust the catch mechanism on the car, just need to align the part on the hood so the hold isn't pulled to one side when closing.

If I've not been clear, let me know and I'll try and take some pics.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:49 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, great advice from Roger.
Align the hood, then the latch!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:48 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
It's possible your hood is okay and you've just moved your latch. Which one did you adjust, the part attached to the hood or the catch release in the trunk? The one in the trunk will allow you to raise or lower the catch point and how hard it shuts, while the one on the hood is for adjusting left/right and fore/aft.

Adjusting the hood is fairly straightforward. Mark your current positions with a grease pencil so you have your ground zero. There are two bolts at each rear corner (up by the windshield) Undo them slowly so they still remain slightly snug to avoid too much movement. Might want to lay down a towel on the fender in case you drop a socket. Undo the other two not quite so much, then, standing on the side of the car by the mirror, gently bump the edge with the heal of your hand, this will give you a very slight lateral movement.

Adjust the catch at the front last, again using the two bolts that hold it to the hood. Shouldn't need to adjust the catch mechanism on the car, just need to align the part on the hood so the hold isn't pulled to one side when closing.

If I've not been clear, let me know and I'll try and take some pics.
Thanks Roger. I give this a shot.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 AM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Same problem here. Thanks for the great explanation on how to align.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:30 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Now you guys got me about to look at my gaps...
Old 09-06-2010, 01:14 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRM
Same problem here. Thanks for the great explanation on how to align.
You're welcome.

An additional tip, if you are adjusting fore/aft movement, do just one side at a time, helps avoid too much movement. Loosen up the two bolts on the side you want to adjust (leaving them slightly snug) and then loosen just one bolt on the other side. This will retain the off-side position but allow the hood to "pivot".

Quick Reply: bonnet alignment