Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Valve Cover - AGAIN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 03:01 PM
KLSpeed27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this job a few days ago too. I had a pretty good leak on the passenger side (found a small puddle one morning) and the driver side was starting to leak as well.
Minimal parts removal. Stock covers looked fine, bolts were all in great shape, 88,000 miles on my car.
Oiled the new gasket faces and hand tightened all the bolts until I hit the stops, started from the center and worked out, cross tightening them as I went.
I've driven a hundred or so miles since - no leaks everything looks good!
Not a difficult job to do, just make sure everything is cleaned up good before reassembling.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:12 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
So you only add 6" to the height of the car to perform the work? That is, you jack and put the 6 x 6 under the wheels to lift the car 6" and that gives you sufficient clearance to perform this work?
The 6x6 is unloaded with the tire lightly touching it. It is only there as a back-up. The jack holds up the car.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:36 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
The 6x6 is unloaded with the tire lightly touching it. It is only there as a back-up. The jack holds up the car.
OK, got it. Seems simpler than the book I have which advises jack stands on all four corners for any work. I didn't see why jack stand the front for stuff like engine work.

Quick Reply: Leaking Valve Cover - AGAIN!!!!!