Sponsored by:

OT: The $300 Million "A"

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:41 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugly design, although I'm sure well done. Must be nice to take your palace with you as you travel all over the globe!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Ugly design, although I'm sure well done. Must be nice to take your palace with you as you travel all over the globe!
It really is grotesque, stem to stern.

The same thing on a less disgusting scale from the oddly named Wally builder:

http://www.wally.com/jumpch.asp?idCh...r=0&attivo=2-7
Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,416 Likes on 818 Posts

the wally is amazing. not in love with A, but its a hell of a nice boat regardless.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:12 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 95C4VanIsle
Actually, I would just like the money needed to purchase the boat!
Id take the money it takes to maintain the boat...$10M a year I would think?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by friar93
Id take the money it takes to maintain the boat...$10M a year I would think?
$20 mil and with a crew of 35.

Here are some more (not very good) pics taken by some locals here. The yacht left late last night or early morning; it's gone from Santa Barbara.
Attached Images      
Old 08-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Canyon56
$20 mil and with a crew of 35.

Here are some more (not very good) pics taken by some locals here. The yacht left late last night or early morning; it's gone from Santa Barbara.
I have to admit, if you're going to work on anything less than a cup race yacht, that would be a pretty cool deckhand job ...

And imagine the mileage points he gets when he swipes the AMEX Black at the pump for a $500K "filler 'er up" ... he wouldn't need a boat, he can fly ... : ) ... ironically, I imagine he does fly and the boat has to make it around port to port with just the crew.

If it costs this dope $20M (let alone the cost of idle capital) a year, surely he can at least write a $10M "chump change" check for New Orleans schools or something? Hopefully he does something with his money other than this nonsense.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I have to admit, if you're going to work on anything less than a cup race yacht, that would be a pretty cool deckhand job ...

And imagine the mileage points he gets when he swipes the AMEX Black at the pump for a $500K "filler 'er up" ... he wouldn't need a boat, he can fly ... : ) ... ironically, I imagine he does fly and the boat has to make it around port to port with just the crew.

If it costs this dope $20M (let alone the cost of idle capital) a year, surely he can at least write a $10M "chump change" check for New Orleans schools or something? Hopefully he does something with his money other than this nonsense.
Apparently the crew (and any company that had anything to do with the boat) had to sign confidentiality waivers. The guy doesn't talk to the pubic and is very private. He and his wife don't even entertain on the yacht. He's 38 years old. Sounds like maybe he's trying to follow Howard Hughes.

Hopefully he gives money to good causes. I think that would be the best part about being super rich; being in the position to give money away to help better the world. For all his faults, I do appreciate Bill Gates saying that billionaires should give away their wealth to worthy causes while still alive.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a double for the General Eagle in the old cartoons. I cannot remember the character name or the cartoon seeries but the profile is just the same. Been searching but cannot find the image...
Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 AM
Augustus Davies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's play "people are suffering the world over, let's hang a billionaire for his hedonistic public masturbation" ...

"A" is for *******.
its all relative....

I'm sure there is someone that would say the same about you for driving a Porsche...
Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustus Davies
its all relative....

I'm sure there is someone that would say the same about you for driving a Porsche...
+993
Old 08-31-2010, 01:19 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to marinetraffic.com they were up in San Francisco last week.
It was, actually it was anchored off Sausalito. He must be working his way down the coast. Supposedly the "A" name is the reference to both his and his wife's first initial, although perhaps some of the alternative meanings mentioned could apply too.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Augustus Davies
its all relative....

Indeed. The hypocrisy of it does not escape me. Every person that dies of hunger in the next few seconds has every right to have been born to responsible parents and given a fighting chance. By the greatest luck of all, I was born to two teachers and given no option but to get a good start. A couple of years ago, I watched a movie (of all things) that illustrated to me of the how absurd the world is -- things like the UK government subsidies that spend more money on a milk cow than they "budget" for helping children get medicine let alone nourishment of their body and their mind. I won't even purport to being doing everything I can. It's a part of my disorganized life that needs to come off the back burners and receive more attention than just tax write-offs.

I'd continue this topic in the "OT" of Rennlist, but it's a madhouse zoo of incontinent apes throwing faeces at each other.

I am not imagining that I bring any new news to other Rennlisters. I live in California. Here, the budget is in chaos and has been for a decade or so ... that we know about ... maybe it's been worse for far longer, but well hidden in plain sight like a Ponzi scheme relying upon the tech bubble or the housing bubble to sustain the impossible and suspend disbelief in the incredible while waiting for the inevitable. In recent years, the government has sold fixed assets to pay recurring costs and increased spending while begging the Federal government for more money ... at the same time as increasing taxes while cutting funding for hospitals, schools, fire fighters and sheriffs ... at the same time as finding budget for speed cameras and CHP lasers and tazers ... there's no question where their priorities lie. I don't see how we're meant to participate in this race where all the drivers are government sponsored crash test dummies and we're front seat passengers with the "airbag disabled" light blinking.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:20 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...394 foot yacht...Canyon56
Oh, oh, that's 139' less than Roman Abramovitch's "Eclipse".

http://www.superyachttimes.com/yachts/details/77
Old 08-31-2010, 03:09 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rinty
Oh, oh, that's 139' less than Roman Abramovitch's "Eclipse".

http://www.superyachttimes.com/yachts/details/77
Why don't these bozos just buy cruise liners or old British Royalty ships? Didn't someone buy the QE2? It's just absurd. At least the Google billionaire boys saw some reason and bought an existing 747 (or whatever) rather than commissioning one of the luxo jet companies to build them a brand new multi-gazillion dollar status symbol that burns a 100 barrels of jet fuel so they can "commute" coast to coast. Nothing exceeds like excess. I'm all for capitalism, but where's the reasonable point at which someone should not end up like a ridiculous caricature of the self-obsessed hedonist like the character John Hurt plays in his final scene, floating in space (movie: Contact with Jodie Foster) where he's surrounded by surgical team characters as they (apparently unsuccessful in prolonging his life any further) zip up the body bag ...)
Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Why don't these bozos just buy cruise liners or old British Royalty ships? Didn't someone buy the QE2? It's just absurd. At least the Google billionaire boys saw some reason and bought an existing 747 (or whatever) rather than commissioning one of the luxo jet companies to build them a brand new multi-gazillion dollar status symbol that burns a 100 barrels of jet fuel so they can "commute" coast to coast.
A while ago I attended an event in Newport Beach that was held on John Wayne's former yacht. He had bought a U.S. Navy minesweeper in the 1960's and renovated it. Maybe not as luxurious or modern as today's super yachts but I thought it had a lot of character. Kind of like an old Porsche

(the company that bought the boat added the ugly enclosed top deck)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: OT: The $300 Million "A"