Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to mount 9500ix radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:40 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default where to mount 9500ix radar detector?

I know the majority of Rennlisters seem to be using V1 radar detectors, but is anyone using the 9500ix? I want to put a 9500ix where I currently have my V1 mounted but since the location is very high on the windshield (for stealth purposes...see pic below) I'm not sure it will be able to receive a clear GPS signal.

Does anyone know how high up the windshield (and back) I can place a 9500ix and still receive a GPS signal? I'd like it to be as stealthy as possible.

TIA
David

(FYI I am not replacing the V1 but would like to move it to a new location...the 9500ix needs to be easily accessed for input, whereas the V1 can be used with the remote display, volume control and mute button so I plan to put it into a box on the rear package shelf or rear window)
Old 08-28-2010, 09:50 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you use 2 radar detectors together? I thought that the signals they send out will interfere with each other.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:52 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by richardew
Can you use 2 radar detectors together? I thought that the signals they send out will interfere with each other.
yes, I have both the V1 and 9500ix with no interference...they are w/in 2 feet of each other. I think there might be an issue with leaking and signal inteference if using lower quality RDs with poor shielding.

Tx
Old 08-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Archilla
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,
I believe that it needs line of sight from the top of the unit to the sky, so I have a feeling that it will not get the GPS signal in the location you are thinking. I can try mine in some different positions and get back to you.
-Ruben
Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Archilla
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,
I mounted mine up as high as I could get it against the header and it still seemed to be able to find a GPS signal when powered up. Maybe the GPS antenna is actually far enough forward in the case that it can get a signal diagonally from above. I didn't actually drive with it in that position, so I'm not sure if it has a higher likelihood of dropping the GPS signal in that position compared to being mounted further down.
-Ruben
Old 09-04-2010, 09:01 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Hi Ruben - Thanks for the update....I'm hoping to do some testing this weekend. Hopefully have time to do a hardwire mount in the next 2 weeks!

David

Originally Posted by Archilla
David,
I mounted mine up as high as I could get it against the header and it still seemed to be able to find a GPS signal when powered up. Maybe the GPS antenna is actually far enough forward in the case that it can get a signal diagonally from above. I didn't actually drive with it in that position, so I'm not sure if it has a higher likelihood of dropping the GPS signal in that position compared to being mounted further down.
-Ruben
Old 09-28-2010, 01:48 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Just an update for anyone considering the Passport: I mounted the 9500ix using the standard windshield suction cups and located it (temporarily) above the rearview mirror directly to the left of the small blacked out area at the very top and center of the windshield. I put it as far up as possible and it had no problem receiving a GPS signal and doesn't seem that the windshield tint interferes with the signal.

Not sure if it will work as well if mounted using the stronger single suction cup since it doesn't place the detector as close to the windshield; nor if my mount shown above will work unless I place the 9500ix much further forward and lower to get under the blacked out area of the windshield. (fyi my mount places the V1 far back from the windshield so makes it almost impossible to see from the outside unless you crouch down and specifically look for it.)

Quick Reply: where to mount 9500ix radar detector?