Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Speedy's a flasher

If only Speedy would flash me..........
Old 08-28-2010, 08:52 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at a stoplight when a 997 pulled alongside me. I looked over and we nodded at each other...
Old 08-28-2010, 09:20 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont flash anymore. When I got the 996, I did the wave/flash several times and mostly got ignored so I stopped. I guess fellow NYCers are too arrogant or clueless to reply.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:48 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Speedy's a flasher

Originally Posted by timothymoffat

If only Speedy would flash me..........
Keep the faith, brother ^^ we'll make it happen!

Old 08-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
Enthusiasts still flash and wave. People in Cayennes and Panameras don't.
Hey, hey, hey! You shouldn't generalize like this.

I flash in the Cayenne but wave in the 993.

Originally Posted by nedsky
I had a BMW 2002 back in '75. There weren't too many BMWs on the road then so owners flashed their lights. No doubt Porsches did too. Things are different now. Global village. No exclusivity.
Back in the late 60's my mother had Volvos (started w/ a 144S w/ the truck driver style stick shift) and Volvo owners always flashed each other. Today...not so much...LOL
Old 08-28-2010, 12:42 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up 911 flash @ 0:20 mark

Originally Posted by shadow993

Headlight flash
Maybe a Rennlister?

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: YT
Old 08-28-2010, 12:46 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by michaelh993

stop in heavy traffic; 12 point secret handshake...
^^

Old 08-28-2010, 01:14 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Hey, hey, hey! You shouldn't generalize like this.

I flash in the Cayenne but wave in the 993.
That's because you can kneel on the seat in the Cayenne. Couldn't do that in a 993, no headroom ...

Originally Posted by tjangi
I was at a stoplight when a 997 pulled alongside me. I looked over and we nodded at each other...
Sounds like typical public restroom etiquette ...

...'Round heah, lights flash is generally a friendly gesture to oncoming traffic:
...As opposed to Germany......where, when I drove there last, I was told it had become a sign of aggressive driving & was therefore illegal
What is the world coming to??? Is this the ultimate all-encompassing gentrification of Europe when one can't still simply assume that if you're driving on the Autobahn in Germany that the other drivers are going to be AGRESSIVE??? .... Oh, the humanity .....

^^

I totally stole this .... ;-)

Another observation.... even longhood drivers don't flash back sometimes. I can't imagine that's due to ignorance, but arrogance comes to mind. Maybe they're just jaded from the seemingly general lack of brotherhood/enthusiasm out there ...
Old 08-28-2010, 01:15 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RJT

When I drive my 356, EVERYBODY waves, gives me thumbs up, and shouts "cool car".

The first 911 was actually "dissed" by 356 people as not being a real porsche!! Every automobile Porsche has produced over the past 55 years has been a real PORSCHE!

Waving at other Porsches started after the SECOND Porsche was produced! Over the years waving has faded into rarity because people are buying Porsches as status symbols, not because of the enthusiasm for a true sports car, or the loyalty to the history of a car manufactured by a real automotive genius, Ferdinand Porsche.

When you wave to these people, don't expect them to wave back. Just wave at the PORSCHE!!!

Robert
Robert reminded me of the 5:25 mark in this video (from the "eRuf....Electric 997^^" thread):

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: YT
Old 08-28-2010, 02:04 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like typical public restroom etiquette ...
LOL
Old 08-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

I am not sure if it is illegal. When I was over here the first time (1998-2001) I used to see a lot of flashing on the Autobahn. I also saw a lot of guys in the left lane with the left turn signal on--meaning "I am passing you on the left." I don't see that as much any more.

I only flash another Porsche in the cities, or the secondary roads. If I see another Porsche on the Autobahn going the same direction I wave, if they are going the other direction I ignore them...
Old 08-28-2010, 04:34 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Floodj

I am not sure if it is illegal.
As RLer Bart1 & many others know who've enjoyed Jeeps, it would be easier if we all just followed the international DEFINITIVE JEEP WAVE GUIDE, featuring helpful matrices & jargon such as the Jeep Waving Hierarchy (JWH) & Modifying Sub-Categories (MSCs).
Summary: "When in doubt, WHIP IT OUT!"

Tongue-in-cheek Porsche version:
Originally Posted by 993RS

A reader of the magazine "911 & Porsche World" submitted the following rules (summarized):

First definition of class systems:

A: 993, 996, GT3 (Turbos having obvious precendence over n/a cars)
B: Boxster (all models, but "S" gives you more standing)
C: older 911s, 914
D: 944
E: 924

Rule 1: only wave and/or acknowledge cars within class or one class below (but with due sympathy to those lower down the scale)
Rule 2: crossing path of a car in a class above your own, wait till the other driver initiates the wave.
Rule 3: Never initiate a wave to a car in a class above your own, unless you know the driver
Rule 4: Never wave to a car two or more classes below your own
Rule 5: No matter what, wave should only consist of raising the palm from around the steering wheel. Anything more is ostentatious or over-enthusiastic.
Rule 6: Never allow a passenger to wave. They are not in the club and have no right.
Rule 7: When alongside another Porsche at traffic light, always look directly ahead, avoid eye contact and never, ever engage in eye contact.
Rule 8: Never admire another Porsche when driving. If on foot, and come across another Porsche, brief glances over your shoulder are permitted.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:20 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chuck-- Did you make it to Monetary, er -- Monterey -- this year? Missed ya (& the bachelor party)
Hey, Jaeger. Good to hear from you. It was sure nice meeting you last year. None of last year's bachelor party made it up this year. Much as we'd like to, I think most of us can only afford to be "Porsche Fans" instead of "Monterey Fans." I'll probably be back in a few years even if P isn't honored marque.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:23 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As RLer Bart1 & many others know who've enjoyed Jeeps, it would be easier if we all just followed the international DEFINITIVE JEEP WAVE GUIDE, featuring helpful matrices & jargon such as the Jeep Waving Hierarchy (JWH) & Modifying Sub-Categories (MSCs).
That's pretty good - I think it originally came from one of the magazines. Not sure where I score, but pretty good.

Seriously though, you get more waves in the Heep.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:10 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tongue-in-cheek Porsche version:
I have been GUILTY (but not yet charged) of breaking one or two of these rules. I don't need P-Car jail...because I immediately knew when I broke the rules and swore I would never do it again! I am just too entusiastic to obey all the time but will try.

Quick Reply: Porsche Greeting Protocol?