Sponsored by:

Front Trunk Release Handle

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:48 PM
stormy down
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Trunk Release Handle

I have a question about the handle-end of the front Trunk release cable.

For anyone who knows what the back of the handle assembly looks like once it’s removed from the side of the foot-well…. As the cable enters the assembly, what holds the outer cable back to stop it moving when the inner one is “pulled”? Right now the outer cable sits snuggly inside the 1/2” long tube on the back of the molding. When I pull the handle to open the trunk, the outer cable just travels deeper into the tube and nothing else happens. Should there be a clip or something there to hold the outer cable back. I can open the trunk when I force the outer cable to stay back.

Enough said… I’ll post and get ready to sift through the hundreds of replies :-)

Seriously, appreciate any help that folks can provide. Cheers.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:57 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to order part 26 from this diagram.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/993/803-00.php
The outer housing (the one in back of the pull handle) has a piece of plastic that holds back the sheath.

It's kind of a pain to install because you have to drive the stake out (part 25) with the assembly in the car. Be mindful of how the assembly goes back together before putting the stake back in or you may have to drive it out again.

dave
Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This might also be because your cable slipped at the front release. If you tend to tug on the release a bit hard these can slip. Open the trunk and look where the cable attaches to the release. Try tightening the inner cable enough to take the excess play out of it. That may do the trick.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
stormy down
Advanced

Thanks for the replies.
Dave,
The drawing is perfect, thanks... Couldn't find my Porsche Part's CD anywhere. I think the pin you describe is in place and doing it's thing securing the inner cable allowing me to pull it.
Mr. "2 Many"
As you say, time to check under hood which I'll do tonight.

Thank you both.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:43 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm bringing back this old thread because I have the same problem, (the cable housing is going inside the plastic tube of the handle) but can't really find the solution.
My trunk release has worked fine until I removed the kick panel to check my HVAC flaps. Something must have come loose or apart because I now have this problem.
Is there supposed to be a clip of some sort to keep the cable housing stationary, allowing the cable to be pulled?

I don't see anything in the parts drawing.

I'm stumped as to what happened. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:30 PM
stormy down
Advanced

Yes, sounds familiar. I ended up buying a new base plate for the handle (looks like part #26). When I compared new and old parts I could see there is a plastic stop molded into the entrance of that tube. It had sheared cleanly off the old base without a trace of it ever being there. That stop holds the the outer cable back when you pull the handle. I believe I bought a new inner pull cable at the same time because it had started to fray and was dragging inside the outer cable. Good luck.
Tony
Old 06-30-2016, 04:02 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Yes, probably broken, cant see from the pic but Tony is right Im sure
Old 06-30-2016, 07:37 AM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks so much! It was driving me crazy because nothing was logically missing & the diagram doesn't show it.

Quick Reply: Front Trunk Release Handle