Sponsored by:

C4S going into shop tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts
Default C4S going into shop tomorrow

well, 4k miles of blissfull ownership, and the rear Michelin's are junk. The car has been getting progressively nervous acting, and honestly isn't that confidence inspiring. It simply doesn't feel very stable, planted anymore.

The tire set had 2-3 k on them when I took posession-so the rears have anywhere's from 6-7K miles total. I guess that isn't too bad for a set of Pilot Sports.

Anyway, I have decided not to spend $450 each for just rear tires- considering the primary use is a DD. I ordered up a set of four Hankook Ventus V12 EVO K110's-same sizes again, 225 front, 295 rear. Set of four shipped for free only totaled $684-that's alot of tire for the money.

I'm also having a set of Walrod bushings installed, as well as Wevo motor mounts-alignment and corner balance also.

I am fortunate enough to have Joel Reiser just 1 1/2 hours West of me. Joel was gracious enough to allow me to bounce my numerous potential Pcar choices off of him. I look forward to finally meeting him, and especially getting his expert impressions on my car. It'll be great to have his impressions/suggestions on how to make a very nice car, great.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

When all is said and done, I'll have a pair of 225/40/18 Pilot Sports for sale-naturally they have slight uneven wear outside to in. Details to follow...
Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 PM
nskd3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my Hankooks installed on Saturday and it's been raining ever since. I did get to run on them for a little bit and they seem good. Have yet to any "spirited" driving.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

How many miles do you have the car? I have almost 41K on my C4S. New tires about 3K miles ago, but I have the Walrod bushings ready to go when I refresh the suspension. I just did an alignment and it was kinda out of spec. at the front.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:31 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Joel is a great guy! Have him realign the car, the rear tires should last longer than that.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

It's nice to see someone so happy to spend money on their car. Keeping these cars in top shape takes money, but they return the favor. Your car will feel like magic after everything is done.
You'll love the motor mounts!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:22 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll concur that you should see good mileage out of the rears post-alignment from someone who knows that the hell is going on. Which reminds me that I'll be setting up the scales and strings for the yellow car to see if I can un screw up whatever it seems I have..............
Old 08-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBen
How many miles do you have the car? I have almost 41K on my C4S. New tires about 3K miles ago, but I have the Walrod bushings ready to go when I refresh the suspension. I just did an alignment and it was kinda out of spec. at the front.
the car has 68K and change. Previous owner installed an all new suspension at around 63k, and had alignment etc done then.

I suspect that the alignment was simply more track orientated-since that was the PO's intended use for the car.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:50 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Please keep us posted as I am going to buy the same tires.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:32 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mag:

Enjoy your self at JR's there is a lot to be learned from him and Brad. Sounds like you will have a good day's work lined up, as just doing the alignment will take about 3-4 hours alone. You might end up with my old control arms on your car if he swaps them out for you, as I sold him the set we removed from my car in late June.

Let us know how things turn out.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

that is similar rear tire wear for the michelin that most claim. I switched to the hankook V12 this spring fro the very same reason and couldn't justify the near double price given what I'd read about the v12. I have not been disappointed. I have used them for 2 DE events, one in the wet and commuting and spiritied street driving and I am not detecting a difference from the michelins - except they are lasting longer. good luck.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Default a great experience

got to Joel's house around 3pm today-I spent a solid two hours there. Joel, Brad, and John(or George, can't remember)immediately put the car up on the lift-pulled belly pans, and started probing EVERYWHERE with flashlights.

Car got an overall thumbs up, great mechanical shape. All had very favorable things to say about the car, it was reassuring to say the least. The consensus was the alignment was heavy toward a track setup. The rears are shot, and the fronts are pretty bad also-each corner a little different.

We went over all of my concerns, and have a plan of attack.

-Walrod bushings-actually deflected the control arms to see tears in both sides-worse on pass than drivers.
-Wevo motor mounts
-set of four Hankooks
-alignment & corner balance, with a more street friendly camber setting
-front brake pad change, got a full oem set with the car-thanks Todd
-clutch slave/master/hose, pedal is pretty rough, didn't really know if it was normal or not
-distributor belt, Joel sends the distributor's out to be done, usually has a spare supply already in stock

They looked close enough to see an exhaust bolt gone even. Overall, an extremely satisfying and confidence inspiring two hours.

Man, talk about a garage full of OMG Pcar stuff.

Don't know the turn around time, as we are still awaiting some parts. Definately a couple, if not three days of work ahead.

I'll keep you all informed with the progress.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:33 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Sounds like you're having fun bud..let us know how you like the Hankooks.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:21 AM
fixedgame
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is also getting similar treatment at Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley, CA.
-Upgrading to Elephant Racing Bushings.
-New Sumitomo HTR III on 996 TT Hollows (car currently sporting solid 993 wheels).
-Alignment
I can't wait to get the car back on Friday.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:39 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fixedgame
My car is also getting similar treatment at Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley, CA.
-Upgrading to Elephant Racing Bushings.
-New Sumitomo HTR III on 996 TT Hollows (car currently sporting solid 993 wheels).
-Alignment
I can't wait to get the car back on Friday.
let us know how you like the Elephant bushings, I'm thinking I should have done those insted.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ironimages
let us know how you like the Elephant bushings, I'm thinking I should have done those insted.
instead of the Walrod's? is that what you mean...

What trouble are you having with Chris's bushings...noise?

Quick Reply: C4S going into shop tomorrow