Sponsored by:

Need new tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:58 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need new tires

I need to replace my tires. Currently have 17 inch stock wheels. Want to keep current stock wheels, but thinking of going with a little wider tire. This would be for purely looks. Anybody ventured away from stock? If so, any problems with clearance? Any handling issues? Would like to have some suggestions on size as I'm unsure if my shop will go wider. I recall something in the past about legal liabilities, etc. If I come with some knowledge of what I want, maybe they will pay more attention.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:36 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
I need to replace my tires. Currently have 17 inch stock wheels. Want to keep current stock wheels, but thinking of going with a little wider tire. This would be for purely looks. Anybody ventured away from stock? If so, any problems with clearance? Any handling issues? Would like to have some suggestions on size as I'm unsure if my shop will go wider. I recall something in the past about legal liabilities, etc. If I come with some knowledge of what I want, maybe they will pay more attention.
285's are pretty common in the rear on 18's -- not too sure about 17's. I remember one thread on this;
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...7s-vs-18s.html

If that doesn't help try a search for "size tire 17" in the subject line for threads in the 993 forum.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

255 is the right fit on a 9 inch rear. Not sure if there are any good 265/275 options availble and how fitment would be.

You can pinch a 225 on the 7 inch front, which will dial out some of the understeer. If you are staying on the street, you wouldn't notice the difference.

I think upsizing on the narrow stock wheels, you aren't going to make much of an aesthetic improvement. You may even degrade handling (with even wider rears, for example, relative to the fronts).

Good luck.

Matt

Quick Reply: Need new tires