Sponsored by:

993 Custom IC and Front Mount Air / Water Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:51 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Oz,

Protomotive flash was $1000 I think - the same as their other flashes. (or $1500 if a 1996 ECU). Also need to add turbo injectors if you go that route. So, all up it should cost about $1400 to $1900 more. Then, you disconnect the 7th injector and remove all the piggyback hardware and you are good to go.

Bob
Old 08-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Great, thanks. And the end result is easier to tune (and remove the 7th injector)?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:07 PM
bobesser
Pro

End result needs to be tuned by Protomotive (I think). So, not necessarily easier to tune, but, no check engine light and should be better optimized. With the piggyback, you spray fuel in the 7th injector and hope it spreads evenly to all cylinders. With the Protomotive, you directly control all injectors so the fuel distribution is more even. Because it is more even, you can precisely control the fuel. With a piggyback, you sort of have to run optimum fuel on the worst cylinder and run rich on all the others or you end up running lean on some cylinders.

As a data point, my MPG improved with the supercharger.

Bob
Old 08-23-2010, 03:58 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I too would like to see what the shop comes up with.
Pix please when you can that shows what they did.
Thanks!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Guess I should clarify - this will be a front mounted a/w radiator with IC intermediary in the rear next to the intake.

....and I may have just pulled the trigger on removing the piggy back ECU and 7th Injector (to go with Protomotive setup and they're doing the research on the optimal injector setup - Thanks again Bob!)
Old 08-24-2010, 09:32 AM
bobesser
Pro

Originally Posted by Oz-ATL
Guess I should clarify - this will be a front mounted a/w radiator with IC intermediary in the rear next to the intake.

....and I may have just pulled the trigger on removing the piggy back ECU and 7th Injector (to go with Protomotive setup and they're doing the research on the optimal injector setup - Thanks again Bob!)
It is a much cleaner installation for sure.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:20 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

It's official. I dropped the car off with Motorwerks Racing this morning. I was in a hurry so I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the parts they pre-ordered for my project. I asked them if they could before install. If they do, I'll post here. I did snap a before shot of the engine compartment for the before/after comparison.

I'm waiting on them to tell me how long it will take them. They have to call Todd (Protomotive) to figure out the most efficient way to go about doing the enhancements.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This was my intercooler solution. It is a spearco air to air core rated for up to 600hp with an electric fan underneath. This all fits under an RS tail. I am running the 7th injector and unichip piggyback with 6lbs of boost. Originally, the car was the TPC prototype car used to develop the supercharger kit. It was turbo charged at 20k miles in 2001. Currently is has 60k miles with 5k miles of hard track miles which are still accumulating. When I bought the car, the guys at TPC said that it was bulletproof for track use. At first, I was skeptical but the last three years I have been tracking it hard without any issues. I bought the intercooler off Ebay and have less than $500 in the whole upgrade including fabrication.
Attached Images   
Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 PM
bobesser
Pro

Jeremy,

Do you happen to have any dyno numbers? How does your solution compare to the TPC air to water solution?

Bob
Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobesser
Jeremy,

Do you happen to have any dyno numbers? How does your solution compare to the TPC air to water solution?

Bob
+1

The addition of the fan to pull air through the radiator/IC really helps your setup being all in the rear. Nice ride.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:13 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, no dyno numbers. However, I have no problem keeping up with new 997 turbos and GT3's on the track in groups 4 and 5. Here is a video of me and a GT3RS on Barber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvX5BpkOdP8
Old 09-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Default Updates

Thanks to Bob - I opted to go with the Turbo injectors and Todd from Protomotive already flashed and returned the ECU.

Here are a few pics.....

Radiator to be mounted in the front:

Aluminum lines along the body
Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Default and since everyone likes pics....

Installing the radiator up front

The engine bay minus the supercharger and air filter

And the good stuff....supercharger and new streamlined IC

The guys at Motorwerks are top notch. The work they've done is incredible so far. They're also rebuilding the Eaton supercharger while it's out, new brake pads, fabbing a new supercharger intake plate for a straight connection to the IC (vs a bend), and more.

It's going to be a long 2-3 weeks before I get it back!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

I can post dyno runs once they're done in a few weeks.

I'll also have a TPC Racing Uni chip (piggy back ECU) and 7th injector for sale if anyone's interested or knows someone who might be.

Last edited by Oz-ATL; 09-22-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: adding
Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks good.

Quick Reply: 993 Custom IC and Front Mount Air / Water Radiator