993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Extinguisher... big enough?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010 | 02:29 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Default Fire Extinguisher... big enough?

Hi guys,

Today I received my long-awaited Amerex Halotron fire extinguisher, and mounted it to my Rennline bracket.

As Halon is not easily available here in Switzerland, I had to go through rings of fire (no pun intended!) to get the extinguisher I wanted.

Finally, I managed to source one from an aircraft equipment supplier in Sweden.

However, when it arrived it turned out to be the 1.4 lb version, instead of the 2.5 lb model some of you have. Now I wonder whether 1.4 lb is enough to put out a fire in a car.

I mean, how much action can you get out of something slightly bigger than a Coke can?

What do you think?

Take care,

Jens
Old 08-19-2010 | 02:33 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Even the 2.5lb isn't enough in most cases. A fire extinguisher in the car is there to get flames out of your way when you're leaving the burning vehicle. That's the only purpose it has.
Old 08-19-2010 | 06:31 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Jens, ILKOs right. A 1.4 lb. would barely put out a small kitchen grease fire....and HALOTRON isn't as effective as HALON. A 2.5 lb. can be effective on an electrical fire caused by a short or a fuel fire in the engine bay and can buy time until the battery can be disconnected...but, as he says, on a big fire, it'll just give you time to get out and hope that bigger help arrives in time. I have a 2.5 lb. HALON unit in every vehicle except a 5lb. in the truck and two 10 lb. in the garage.
Old 08-19-2010 | 09:54 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

If you have the space for it then 2x 2.5lb FE would be ideal...both should be within reach of the driver.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher... big enough?