Sponsored by:

New Hope Car Show ***PIX***

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Hope Car Show ***PIX***

Yesterday, Sunday, we had the annual “New Hope Auto Show” just across the river from Lambertville, NJ.
As we left Long Island and headed over the Verrazano, ‘440’ and onto 78 west, we hit no less than three rain-showers. As the wipers drew a nice arc on the windshield Janet said:
“Do you wanna turn around and head back?”
Me: “Naah, shucks everybody will be in the same boat, and, not for nuffin’, I’m just looking at it (now) as if it’s just a Sunday drive.”

When we eventually arrived, and despite the fluctuating conditions, everybody was busy wiping down their cars, trying to stay ‘ahead of the game’.
I had just over an hour to ‘de-skankify’ the car before judging began and made good use of the time whilst Janet headed into ‘town’ to scope out breakfast.

The judges had a LOT of cars to evaluate and everyone was literally looking skyward praying that the rain would ‘hold off’. Unfortunately, by around mid-day the rain came …and it was relentless. I never saw cab-owners move so fast and historic models were being frantically covered with ‘industrial seran wrap’. The rest of us made a bee-line for the marquees as the emcee blurted out the usual repertoire. The parking lot quickly became a river, devoid of gawkers and enthusiasts alike, occupied now by once-pristine cars. However, it appeared as though the final round(s) of judging had occurred in the nick of time, literally minutes before the deluge began. Phew!

Yes, I took pix.

http://ifly.freeyellow.com/miscell/n...e-10/index.htm

Enjoy,
Gerry

P.S. And, umm, oh yeah, I umm, managed to take first place in class.

Last edited by g_murray; 08-16-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:11 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some pretty awesome cars at the get together. Thanks for sharing the pic's.

Congratulations on your win!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Cristel993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great selection of cars and congratulations on your win!

Love the colour of your car.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:00 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulation on your win . The car and the rest of them look good .
The rain story makes for great memories later on put not at the time .

Cheers Guy
Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
Gerry

P.S. And, umm, oh yeah, I umm, managed to take first place in class.
I think you were owed.

As i said in the other thread. I was at The Glen this year for a DE sorry I missed it. I missed the opportunity to judge the 959 which would have been interesting.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:23 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Hey Anthony,
Yeah, I went there 'expecting absolutely nothing'. (Believe me, it was a pleasant (and somewhat refreshing) 'surprise').
Later tater,
Gerry
Old 08-16-2010, 03:35 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Guess I was lucky. I drove up from Bergen county at 11:00...arrived at 12:30 and left at 2:30...and didn't see any rain until I was 30 minutes from home.

Curious about your best of class win; what "class" does your 993 go into? Not too knowledgeable about this judging stuff. Congrats...and thanks in advance for the answer.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:13 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Heyo,
Thanx.
Usually they (the judges) -- depending on 'how many cars show up' -- and (depending) on 'what types of cars show up' -- break the judging down into 'models' and 'years'.
For instance if ten 911's show up (and they're a mixture of 993's, 930's, 964's, 997's, 996's etc.) then they'll usually just glomp all of them 'together' and they'll all compete against each other for 1st., 2nd, and 3rd. place -- *even* though they're, obviously, a mixture of 'years' and eek! water and air-cooled. There's only so many prizes and just because one particular model (say a 959) shows up doesn't mean that it's gonna automatically get 1st. prize coz it's the only one "in THAT category".
I've been at shows where 968's competed against 928's - where, usually, the 928's are glomped in with the 944's and the 968's duke it out with the 924's.
That's often why the show organizers will *ask beforehand*, when you register, what year, make, model is your car -- so that they can 'allocate prizes accordingly'.
Gerry
Old 08-16-2010, 04:28 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Cool...thanks for the explanation. So for New Hope, what models/years were included in your class. Last question...promise.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:47 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Dunno -- only the judges know THAT fer sure.

G.

P.S. I've been at shows where I (with model year 1996) competed with other cars -- in a year-block of 1980 ---> 1998. Yep, you and I know you would think that 'we' would just be confined to the 'year block' between the 964 model and the 996 model, but no, sometimes the judges 'expand' the blocks to suit. (So yes, in that recent case, I had a LOT more cars to compete with! :-(O)).
Old 08-16-2010, 08:18 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Gerry congrats! Seriously your car looked like it came fresh from the factory...I would have been surprised if you hadn't won!

Here's the link to my pics of the show on Sunday.

My brother in law's father had an old Cadi entered in the show. He took first place.

http://marsavius.net/fotografia/imag...s_august_2010/
Old 08-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Your car is simply gorgeous. Congrats on the win.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I was a bit disappointed at the number of Porsches. I was there from about 12:30 until the rain started and there was only about 12 or so 911 variants. Your car was particularly nice but the only 993 I noted. I had seen the 73 RS and the 959 (same owner I believe) a number of times.
Alfa was supposed to be the featured Marque and there were barely a dozen there an none particularly special.
All in all I was disappointed.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Yep, I think the weather made a bunch of people stay home -- or maybe just come along (in their beater car?) - just to spectate.
Having attended this event in the past when the wx was 80 deg. and blue skies -- the place is a zoo! Lots of cars (not just pcars), lots of people, lots of competition...

Back in July, the "Deutsch Classic" event - by Kutztown, PA - THAT was a total and complete washout (the 'field' that we are usually parked in was literally a mud-fest).

I must admit -- I drove to New Hope - in the hope (!) that the rain would 'hold off' until the evening and that I could skidaddle back to LI with only dark-clouds in my rear view mirror -- but alas fate and Ma Nature had other plans.

Although I put a LOT of time and effort into prepping a car for a show -- I (obviously) don't balk at the idea of having all my work 'trashed' if the wx doesn't co-operate -- coz, as far as I'm concerned, if we don't show up ...THERE IS NO SHOW. And, not for nuffin', it's a car and is meant to be driven, not polished to the nth. degree and then stuffed inside bubblewrap.

I guess I'm very philosophical when it comes down to it!

Gerry
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,250 Posts

My understanding was that more than 50 Porsche's were judged which is a large turnout.

Last year it rained the entire event and I still show up no matter how much time I put into cleaning my cars.

If you guys are looking for a fun event with lots of Porsche's our Red Mill event on September 11 promises to be just that. I hope to see you there.

Quick Reply: New Hope Car Show ***PIX***