Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Has anyone replaced a throttle cable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 04:40 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I understand correctly the car idles and drives fine. The moment you push in the clutch and unload the motor it stalls.

There is a process the ECU runs for this condition. If it miss learned closed throttle, it will do exactly this.

I would run down this list.

1) the car was started and not allowed to idle correctly

2) the new throttle cable is too tight and the TB (throttle body) is not closed all the way, in turn this has the ECU confused.

3) the potentiometer on the TB is not pluged in.

4) car just needs to be driven to relearn
Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
Calvin -- hmmm....the thing is, I never disconnected the battery. I don't think it's a vacuum leak, because it idles fine when you start it up cold. And it's starting to idle a little better -- now it's at 300 and won't die if you just let it sit like that. Definitely still has the "fall on its ***" problem when you take it out of gear.

Now I'm seeing the wisdom of drive-by-wire....
Something is probably wrong. And it really sounds like a vacuum leak. The reason it idles better when cold is that the ECU provides a richer mixture when the engine is cold. This will somewhat balance a lean condition caused by a vacuum leak.

You can check for a leak aft of the throttle body by removing a vacuum line and pressurizing the system with a mitivac. If it doesn't hold vacuum, you've got a leak. See the link in my sig for more details.

BTW - Drive-by-wire has its own issues. I prefer a simple cable

Good luck,
Joe

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced a throttle cable?