Sponsored by:

Dented rear bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 02:06 AM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dented rear bumper cover

I have an approx. 5 inch (circular) dent in the left rear (driver's side) corner of the rear bumper cover where the front corner of another car hit it. About 1 to 1.5 inches depression. The paint is cracked (but the cover is not torn - it is intact) where the cover depression meets the uncompressed area. It's a '95 - which has been repainted prior to my purchasing it. Paint is average-good quality - takes a nice shine - and except up very close - looks excellent. The car is a daily driver, not a show queen

The local body shop said I could have the existing cover "pushed back out" then repainted or replace it (the cover costs about $1,500.) As this will not be an insurance claim, my instinct says to repair the existing one. The shop did say it would not look like new if repairing the existing one.

Questions: Since this is now a 16 year old daily driver - I am not worried if the repaired bumper cover looks "not new". I doubt if I ever sell this car that it will make a significant difference in re-sale value as the current repaint has lots of chips, a few small scratches. It is a cabriolet so I think someone purchasing this car - say in a few years - during the summer months I think will be more focussed on buying a 911 Cabriolet to drive every day .

Second, does anyone know if inside the cover there is either foam inside or one of those honeycomb structures. I'm thinking a honeycomb will probably be more difficult to "push back out".

There is no apparent damage to the underlying metal bumper structure, just the cosmetic appearance and dent on the cover.

What do you think?

Thanks for your suggestions/replies.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:51 AM
jaa1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this for a WB or NB?

I think you would be better leaving it alone than repairing it..

Replacement is the way to go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...ts_Accessories

offer them $550 shipped.. you probably have a better chance making a deal over the phone.. (so they don't have to pay ebay fees)

Quick Reply: Dented rear bumper cover