respray teaser pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by SPD YLO
NO WAY!
Factory paint is baked at temperatures that would melt the plastics. It's much harder.
so how does the factory get it on there then?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:15 PM
SPD YLO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
so how does the factory get it on there then?
sorry
I meant the interior plastics/wiring

You got me on the bumpers
Old 08-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Benton
Drifting

NO WAY!
Factory paint is baked at temperatures that would melt the plastics. It's much harder.
^ Perfect example of how excellent the internet is at spreading misinformation.

If the prep work is done correctly and high quality materials are used, the life of the paint job is essentially dependent on how well the owner treats it.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:00 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Factory paint IS baked at a higher temp than paint used for field repairs or refinishing for the reason stated above - the interior, plastics, etc. can't be exposed to the higher temps use at the car factories when the bodies are free of these items. We don't know if this produces more durable paint or not. The car makers / paint suppliers probably do but they ain't talkin'.

Field repair/repaint paint formulas are slightly different than OE paints for this reason. Any OE paint supplier engineer can confirm this.

Durability of a paint finish is impacted by many factors including the paint chemistry, the curing process and owner maintenance. The bottom line however is you must deal with the paint you have to work with so take care of it and it's all good.

BTW, pretty paint !
Old 08-16-2010, 09:24 AM
twingt30s
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

NO WAY!
you sir dont know much about paint haha.

i am a painter and the only real difference from a factory paint job and one a shop does is the amount of time its baked really.
yes the factory might bake hotter thats because there shipping multiple cars through a oven so it needs to dry quicker for assembly.

at my shop i bake a car for about 30min at 155 degrees. most clears only need about 15-20 min at 140 to get a full bake, so as long as the prep works correct and everything else is done correctly theres no reason a independent paint job cant hold up as long or better then a factory one.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Cobalt is a GREAT color!
Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 PM
avslash
Advanced

So since we have a paint professional or two in here, my enquiring mind wants to know what ballpark a high quality respray in the original color would be in dollar wise.

I hope to hold on to my car forever, so that might be something I tackle at some point.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Great color. Looks really nice. I'd like to see it in natural light. Be sure to post after it's all done.

And be sure to Photoshop out this little bugger when you get the car. I hope (assume) it's not a painted over dust speck(?)

Old 08-16-2010, 10:31 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Originally Posted by avslash
So since we have a paint professional or two in here, my enquiring mind wants to know what ballpark a high quality respray in the original color would be in dollar wise.

I hope to hold on to my car forever, so that might be something I tackle at some point.

I know this might sound like nit-picking but it is not... You'd need to quantify "a high quality respray" for a realistic estimate. As an example a quality respray to some is masking the door jambs, window openings, etc., prepping and painting. For other folks a quality respray is complete disassembly of the car and a respray that looks like the day it left the factory. There's a huge diff in work and costs between the two types of "quality resprays".
Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

Not an expert here, but I would say $12K.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 536 Likes on 366 Posts

Great color choice. I look forward to seeing it all back together...should be very nice.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:28 AM
jaa1
Rennlist Member

thanks for all the kind words everyone..

regarding the specks in the paint, even in the factory, they allow for 2-3 specks per panel, which come out when it is buffed.. regardless, I think what we are seeing in the picture above is reflection.. I have attached same area from a different angle..
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2010, 09:23 AM
twingt30s
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i love peoples comments when theres teaser pics posted. that pic looks like it was taken fresh outta the booth so there might be a spec or two in it, but like mentioned the car will prob get a light buff to take care of any inperfections.
as far as a rough price on a paint job all depends what kinda work needs to be done. if you looking for a normal respray of orginal color with no jams it can cost ya like 3-5k but if you want a full respray jams and everything taken apart youu in the 6-8 range
Old 08-17-2010, 12:33 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

I hope the OP knows that some of us are messing with him just as he is teasing us with pics?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:40 PM
avslash
Advanced

Originally Posted by beentherebaby
I know this might sound like nit-picking but it is not... You'd need to quantify "a high quality respray" for a realistic estimate. As an example a quality respray to some is masking the door jambs, window openings, etc., prepping and painting. For other folks a quality respray is complete disassembly of the car and a respray that looks like the day it left the factory. There's a huge diff in work and costs between the two types of "quality resprays".
I guess I would consider "quality" to be removing any body seam moldings such as the upper front fender modling, windshield modling, etc.

I don't think I would necessarily require actual body panels to be removed.

Very interesting question. Obvioulsy I hadn't thought through what "quality" meant in this context.

Using the previous poster's $12K estimate, how far would that take you.

To the OP. The car looks beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: respray teaser pics