993 Forum 1995-1998

Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Sway Bars

Does anyone have a cockpit adjustable sway bar setup in their 993? Or another setup that is more easily adjusted than moving the drop link from one hole to the next (like with a TRG adjustable sway bar). Maybe a blade type sway bar?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a spare button on my console...hmmmmmm
Old 08-11-2010, 06:23 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How far out/over the edge is your car that you require that kind of instant adjustability? I mean, even with the Rubik's Cube that is my yellow car, it's pretty much set-and-forget at our level of competence once you get it to where it's in its sweet spot.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:21 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
How far out/over the edge is your car that you require that kind of instant adjustability? I mean, even with the Rubik's Cube that is my yellow car, it's pretty much set-and-forget at our level of competence once you get it to where it's in its sweet spot.
Agree

Certz - are you running near or at the limit on a lot of wet-dry or other really variable grip/contour surfaces?

If I recall KMR (Kelly Moss Racing) has built some 993 RSRs with cockpit adjustable sways.

Last edited by jdistefa; 08-11-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
That's the key point right there , but maybe certz just likes to fiddle?

PS. they're not "sways", they're Anti Roll Bars

I was lucky enough to have a tour of Swift Engineering recently and saw some impressive engineering technology in their bladed ARBs for their Atlantic and Indy cars.
Most of us have no idea how trick that **** is.
I learned alot.

Craig
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

I agree most of us don't need them but the GT2 Evo parts for adj. sways are out there

Old 08-11-2010, 09:20 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by cgfen
That's the key point right there , but maybe certz just likes to fiddle?
Sounds like someone I know here in SD and his name is....Craig!!!!
Actually his name is Craig "The man of many Rims" ....

ps. Yeah, I know they are wheels, but the use of "rims" will drive Craig cRaZy!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Missed a lot while I was out meeting Bruce Willis. Which, by the way, I thought would be cool but he is so security conscience that you cannot really get near him even at a small event like I was at. Kind of bums me out as I thought he would be one of those every-guy types. Not so much.

So, I do a lot of autocross's on a bunch of different surfaces and I do find being able to soften and stiffen the sway (anti-roll) bars to make a huge difference - especially the front. So, I am not some wanna be racer that thinks having infinitely adjustable bars will make him magically a better driver. I currently adjust my sway bars and am able to see improvements in handling which is reflected in more grip and lower times. The problem is that there is so little time between runs at an AX I would like something faster and maybe easier. Also, I do like to fiddle and I learn plenty when I go the wrong way... At an Ax at least I am not going all that fast and there is less danger of hitting something.

Finally, yes I DE the car also and I do tend to set and forget. On the track, though, I am not trying to set a certain time.

Bill and Matt, thanks for the info. Craig, I am sure you say some great equipment.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:07 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

It's not about the "wannabe racer" angle. I was wondering how far on the extreme your car is presently modified. As Bill pointed out, yeah the stuff exists. But you could likely be in Moton territory for what installing that stuff would cost. If it even is (practically) installable on an otherwise street-driven car. I get that maybe running a stock/stockish class could prohibit going down that path. A cockpit adjustable stabilizer might blow you straight into modified, too.

And yeah, I did a huge amount of autocross from about 1983-1998 or so, usually top 5 overall depending on how many race cars on slicks were trailered in. I worked the adjust-the-driving more than the fiddle-with-the-car angle.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:47 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe certz just got a little excited reading about the computer-controlled adjustable sway bars in the Panamera. Can't blame him. That's extremely cool stuff.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:47 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

There are computer controlled adjustable sway bars on the Panamera? I knew it had a pretty slick suspension, especially after seeing a guy with a one on the track - it is amazing how flat that car stays through turns considering its bulk.

Ken, I definitely adjust my driving as much as anything else. There are several guys that regularly come out that have a lot of experience and I try to learn from their lines and driving style just as much as I tinker with my car. I used to run in the production class and now run in the improved class, but that said, I am no slouch out there and compete for TTOD on a regular basis. You are also correct that it might be cost prohibitive, but that was part of why I was asking if anyone had seen any or knew where to get one. I want to know how expensive it might be and I have never come across one. I see them for other cars and they tend to run anywhere from $600-1000 per axle but have never seen one for a 993. Thanks for the input and as for those guys trailering in their cars on slicks, I do find it enjoyable when I occassionally post a better time than them.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The only ones I've seen and used were the superb Kelly-Moss ones and a factory GT-2 one.

I recollect that the K-M setup was about $3K per bar; I never priced the Porsche one and don't know if its still available in Germany.

For that kind of expediture, a person gains a lot more time with a properly configured and setup Moton package than cockpit adjustable bers.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
The only ones I've seen and used were the superb Kelly-Moss ones and a factory GT-2 one.

I recollect that the K-M setup was about $3K per bar; I never priced the Porsche one and don't know if its still available in Germany.
Looks like I'm gonna need 2 buttons
Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Two buttons and the winning lottery numbers.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by certz
Two buttons and the winning lottery numbers.
I think I'm make my buttons little rheostats.....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Sway Bars