Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 993 Twin Turbo Convertible on eBay...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010 | 10:50 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Default Porsche 993 Twin Turbo Convertible on eBay...

Hmm...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...ht_4325wt_1167
Old 08-10-2010 | 11:51 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

It's like deja vu all over again...
Old 08-11-2010 | 12:01 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

"Accident Damage" shown on Car Fax which states it to be "minor" was literally a parking lot ding.

Old 08-11-2010 | 01:42 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Since I can see a NA engine fan I assume this is a high compression na motor with a pair of turbos installed?
Old 08-11-2010 | 03:07 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Nice promo for the 993 ... fit for Porsche Ad copy ...

Interesting Fact about the 993:

It took 130 hours to build your average 993 which more than twice as many hours as needed to produce the 996 or 997. Hand built versus mass production.

ABOUT THE CLASSIC 993

It’s hard to believe that the 993-generation 911 was the first all-new model since 1963. The shape had gently evolved over the years - the first cars' sleek bumpers giving way to the USA-necessitated 'Impact Bumpers', then the arrival of the 1980s SC and Carrera models, the addition of the Tea Tray spoiler, and then the return to sleek bumpers for the 964-generation. All the models shared the same roof, and very similar dimensions and panels. But all this was to change, as Porsche set about blowing away the cobwebs from the 911 with the all-new 993.

Launch - With a Waiting List
The 993 was unveiled in early 1994, and as soon as Porsche had started to build them, buyers were beating a path to the dealerships' doors. This was a good sign - Porsche was on its way back around, after poor sales from the lacklustre 968 and 964 models. The press at the time gave the car gushing reports, and rejoiced in the fact that Porsche had implemented its brief for the new family member perfectly - improvement in the three categories of engine, styling and handling.

The styling was the car's tour-de-force - the staid looks of the 964 giving away to a smooth, Coke-bottle hipped form - but still pure 911. The upright wings and headlamps had been relaxed and canted backwards by a few degrees, giving the car a breath-taking modern look. The new alloy wheels, from the 968 range, complimented this, and to finish the exterior revamp, a new set of fresh colours was drawn up. Small details stood out - the aerodynamic mirrors, the teardrop exhausts and the wide haunches all combined to ensure that the 993 was the best-looking 911 ever. The visual makeover was enhanced by a re-designed interior, with new fabrics, a new seat design, improved heating and improved dashboard fabrics. Airbags were fitted as standard.

Under the skin, the 3.6 litre flat six engine retained its air-cooling (much to the delight of the purists), but with a 10% power increase - peak power was now up to 272 BHP. The new engine featured lavish use of exotic metals, such as magnesium for the fan housing, and a strengthened camshaft along with lighter pistons. A sophisticated Bosch ignition system was employed to keep the engine running as sweet as intended. To cover the handling aspect of the design brief, the traditional semi-trailing arm suspension was scrapped and replaced with a multi-link system - very similar to the 928's Weissach Axle system. New dampers were fitted to improve the ride quality. Drive was delivered to the wheels via a six-speed manual or four-speed Tiptronic gearbox.

What one woman said about her 993: “This car is fabulous, fantastic, a real trip! I bought it right after my husband died. I'd lost my last Porsche (2nd one) in the Firestorm when we lost everything else, I found that I needed to fill that car loss in order to help me thru the loss of the love of my life. Through the experience of loosing everything in the '91 Firestorm, I learned how to treat myself well in order to overcome a serious loss. Purchasing this car, which is one of the new Targas, was absolutely the best thing I could have done. After a year and a half, I'm now dating my mechanic - - - well, I let him work on my backup car which is an Acura Legend! Amazing how "car people" link love and cars! He's introduced me to autocrossing, and so at an advanced age, I am doing something that was only ever a fantasy of my youth! How do I like my car? I adore it!”

The last air-cooled version of the Porsche 911, known as the 993, was made between 1995 and 1998. Porsche has succeeded in making a sports car that can be driven everyday. The 911 is a drivers car. The sculpted lines flow beautifully from front to rear. Porsche cars have always been distinctive, and the 911 has maintained its looks and spirit since it was first introduced.

Specifications
  • Maximum power 272bhp @ 6100 rpm
  • Maximum torque 243lb/ft @ 5000 rpm
  • 0-60 in 5.2 seconds
  • 0-1/4 mile 13.5 seconds at 106 mph
  • Top speed 171 mph
Porsche purists feel that the 993 was the ultimate evolution of the original 911, and do not feel the newer 996 is as good a car, especially in terms of looks (I'm one of them, as I feel this was the best looking 911 of them all).
Old 08-11-2010 | 03:13 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

"Over $2000 spent on acquiring a European Front Bumper as it eliminates the unsightly U.S. “bumperettes”.

Too bad he didnt know about the DIY Mod that costs about $300 HAHAHA!!
Old 08-11-2010 | 02:38 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Hmmm. Those pictures look awfully familiar from 2007 when the seller was auctioning off the Gemballa Competition wheels. If it is the same seller (same location listed), he was selling the wheels as he had "over 7 cars". I had arranged for a fellow Rennlister to go and eyeball the wheels for me and the seller suddenly became VERY difficult to deal with. I moved on and found my wheels in Florida from a very nice 996 Rennlister.
Old 08-11-2010 | 02:56 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Protomotive turbo kit:
http://www.protomotive.com/home.html

After seeing Race911's Silver over Chestnut Carrera S, I really like the Chestnut color interior, but I've never seen a matching top on a Cab before. Is this a standard factory color for a top? I wonder what it would look like against Arena Red...
Old 08-12-2010 | 04:43 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

FAIL

Bigger that TT brakes = Fail
315s on an 11 inch rim = Fail
wrong offsets on rear wheels = Fail
Turbo Motorsport Sway bars = Fail
Custom floor matts = Fail
Special order wheels = Fail
21lbs = Really ??? =Fail
The Porsche Turbo S wing must be special - its listed twice....
Turbo S badge on NB cab = Fail.

There's a whole lot of Fail right there for ya - and thats without the salvage title...

OTOH - there is a nice TT shell in another thread - you could buy this and transplant the good stuff from here and have a 2 for one deal
Old 08-12-2010 | 07:30 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Full Boost
FAIL

Bigger that TT brakes = Fail
315s on an 11 inch rim = Fail
wrong offsets on rear wheels = Fail
Turbo Motorsport Sway bars = Fail
Custom floor matts = Fail
Special order wheels = Fail
21lbs = Really ??? =Fail
The Porsche Turbo S wing must be special - its listed twice....
Turbo S badge on NB cab = Fail.

There's a whole lot of Fail right there for ya - and thats without the salvage title...

OTOH - there is a nice TT shell in another thread - you could buy this and transplant the good stuff from here and have a 2 for one deal
Damn Simon....The Fail Patrol is in effect!
Old 08-14-2010 | 09:36 PM
HHANS951
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I was browsing eBay today using "RUF" as a keyword and ran across that car...It's no 993, but for just a bit more someone could buy our RUF VIN 996TT Cab.

Quick Reply: Porsche 993 Twin Turbo Convertible on eBay...